Promax XC 3.0 Mechanical Disc Brakes Disc Brake System

XC 3.0 Mechanical Disc Brakes

High quality & great price! The Promax XC Mechanical Disc Brake is the most affordable in the category. Forged lever with low-friction pivot bolt, heat-treated one-piece stainless steel rotor & floating caliper for smoother braking. Includes extra lever, cable, housing & bolts.

Matt   Cross Country Rider [Aug 28, 2013]
Strength:

Completely Adjustable

Heavier
Rotor likes to run hot with excessive downhill braking

I picked up a GT Timberline 1.0 today, and installed on it was front and rear Promaxs. The shop adjusted the rear brake because it felt "spongy". I take the bike on it's maiden voyage and find the rear brake was rubbing hard. The caliper was tilted, probably due to under tight from the shop. Within 2 minutes, I make quick adjustments on 4 hex bolts to the horizontal and vertical placement. Made sure everything was tight, gave the tire a good spin. Zero rub and noise. Hopped the bike a few times (Now, i'm no small guy 6'3" 250) and ran like a charm. I was impressed with how easy, and quick it was to make the brakes true again. I can see if the rotor gets warped, or pads get worn wrong on the trail and it rubs or makes noise, that with-in a few minutes you can get your brakes running true and get your bike back home to get some new equipment on it.

Similar Products Used: GT Aggressor
Specialized Rock Hopper
6sharky9   Weekend Warrior [Aug 17, 2011]
Strength:

Inexpensive. Good stopping power. Easy to adjust.

None as of yet.

Ill just say its all in proper adjustment. When I first used the brakes on a wally world xr 200 I purchased from a pawn shop; I wasn't very pleased. I re scuffed the disc and put on a new set of pads and did some adjusting. Now I am more than pleased with these brakes. I like them so much that I will convert the rears to promax as well. Don't let the price fool you. They could be $300 brakes and not work very well without proper adjustments.

Similar Products Used: V-BRAKES.
Budman   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2010]

All you guys should use the ABS - Automatic Brake System Modulator - the BUDBRAKE and the Promax disc brakes and V brakes will work fine and is safer.Try it - You Like It !

toyord   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2009]
Strength:

decent entry level brakes
slow you down

rotors heat up to fast
hard to adjust
jitters when trying to lock it up
not good for fast xc
fades fast

These brakes work ok if your gonna go riding around town or some small hills. Does not work good for fast descents, or steep trails. It like jitters when you try locking them up, kinda like abs brakes on a car, ha. would defenitley upgrade these breaks if your gonna do some serious riding.

Similar Products Used: avid bb5
traxxasmaxx33   Weekend Warrior [Sep 16, 2009]
Strength:

low price, smooth, came pre-mounted, simple, works in all conditions

long break-in time, kind of heavy, hard to adjust, rotors warp easily, sometimes brakes are spongy

Paid $ 430.00 all together brakes are ok but I've only had them for four days so they still need some braking in. They ok for the beginner or on a budget (like me) but if your up to the price, Avid's hydraulic juicy 3's or elixir 5' have way more power but require more maintenance. Great if your on a budget but might be a bad choice if your a serious cyclist you know racing or what not. Dont be fooled if the brakes dont stop well at first, they need to be broken-in for about a month or so.

Similar Products Used: v-brakes, cantilever brakes
Jon130   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2009]
Strength:

Competent entry-level disc brakes, decent stopping power.

A bit noisy, as are ALL disc brakes during the break-in period.

I was skeptical of these brakes as they came on an entry-level GT Avalanche we bought for my girlfriend but I'm fairly impressed. They don't have quite the stopping power that my Hayes hydraulic discs do on my 4 Banger, but to be fair my bike is also 10 lbs lighter and the brakes are worn in. My opinion is that these are definitely a good value and superior to MOST V-Brakes for all-weather braking. We haven't had them long enough to really say how well they hold up over time or on serious trails. My guess is that, as these are generally sold with entry-level bikes, this will likely be where they need to be. As with anything on a bike, maintenance is the key to better performance. For a full set of disc brakes with a price under $100, I really can't complain.

Similar Products Used: Hayes Hydraulic Discs, V-Brakes, Cantilever Brakes
Allen Gilliam   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2009]
Strength:

Reasonable cost. Much stronger braking than rim brakes. They look cool.

None I know of.

I'm very happy with the ProMax mechanical disc brakes on my new mountain bike. They're entry-level, so I feared they might be no better than rim brakes, but they're great. I weigh 275 pounds and, even before breaking them in, I can lock the back wheel and skid to a stop sideways on dry pavement. That put a smile on my face! I haven't been able to do that since I was a kid. I certainly couldn't do that with my old cantilevered rim brakes. Other than safety and cool stops, being able to skid the back wheel allows me to skid around sharp turns. Fun!

They do have to be adjusted properly to get full stopping power, but that's easy to do, unless you consider an Allen wrench to be a baffling high-tech gizmo. And when adjusted properly they do not rub the disc all the time as some have erroneously written. There's no contact at all.

Adjustment is really just common sense: Loosen the caliper mounting bolts. Adjust both pads toward the disc an equal amount until they're both touching the disc, squeeze the brake lever to align the caliper body, and then tighten the mounting bolts. This centers the caliper body on the disc and gets the pads parallel with the disc. Then simply adjust both pads out so they're as close as possible to the disc without rubbing, which can be easily heard when you spin the wheel.

The caliper body has a tiny Allen wrench screw on the side that locks the inner pad adjustment. It needs to be loosened before adjusting the inner pad.

If you're heavy, regularly ride in wet or muddy conditions, or need to brake for long periods of time in the mountains, these brakes are certainly worth the extra cost.

Similar Products Used: Cantilevered rim brakes.
Scuds03   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2009]
Strength:

Outclasses V-brake stopping power by far. Especially when wet. One allen wrench and your fingers turning a knob to setup/adjust (Don't know why others have problems its so simple). I ride my DH bike to and from work which takes me down a 55-60 mph hill everyday and I have full confidence these will stop me QUICK. 3 months of that hill now 2x a day 5 days a week and they stop great with no noise or rubbing. Replacement pads are super cheap.

If I had to name the weakest link it would be the cables stretch over time which as cyclist I can accept. Beats the hell out of hydro brakes and the headachs that accompany them.

I love everything about these brakes. Power, reliability, good looks, and great price... If you have problems with them its cuz you most likely didnt adjust them correctly. If youre having trouble take your bike to a local bike shop and have them tune them in for you before you throw dirt, you'll be impressed! Just because they are economical does not always mean they are junk!