Pro Stop Disc Brakes Disc Brake System

Stop Disc Brakes

The ProStop™ 2 features a red anodized CNC-machined Positive Retraction Caliper, pre-staged, complete with pre-stressed cable housing. Product Weight: 480 g

Robert   Weekend Warrior [Feb 15, 2002]
Strength:

Great Modulation
Pretty
BIG BIG BIG
Easy to Maintain

Stores dont stock parts!!!

Sure they need to be serviced often but so does a Ferrari......If you want the good stuff be smart enough to learn how they work and how to work on them. When all else fails call the boys at MC and they will fix you up. When your nice to them they are nice to you!!! Great Brake.....better than the rest.....why buy a KIA (Hayes) when you can own a Ferrari??? Love them so much, I just bought a set for my other bike!!! The best frames on the planet!! Mountain Cycle all the way....!!!!

Similar Products Used: Hayes
Magura
Hope
Shimano
Avid
Blah, Blah, Blah............tried em all!!!
Chris   Downhiller [Jan 17, 2002]
Strength:

-Solid levers, well built levers
-Solid calipers
-Big thick rotors
-floating rotor system
-they just look different from everything else (which I like)
-powerful

I can't really say much in this post...I just got them and there's a foot of snow outside so I gotta wait.

Like I said above, I can't say much on how these brakes will work. I heard they stop like crazy!...but are a pain to play around with...we'll see. I'll be comparing them to my Hayes and if they suck, I'll still have the Hayes to fall back on. But so far, I was really impressed on the sheer size of the hardware compared to Hayes. The levers are really solid (and gold!) and the lever blade is nice and short (unlike Hayes which pi$$es me off). The calipers are 4 times the size of Hayes and are gold!! I love that! The rotors are twice as thick as Hayes. So far they work really well in my basement. Although there's one thing that got my attention, when at full stop and holding down the levers, the wheels have a tiny, tiny bit of forward and backwards play (that's from the floating rotors)...it's normal but the brakes would suck for trials riding. Anyways, I'll put up another post in the spring. So far, very good! Plus I got a stupid, killer deal so I don't feel ripped off if they're not as good as Hayes.

Similar Products Used: Hayes full hydro with 8" rotors front and rear
Billy Goat   Weekend Warrior [Nov 19, 2001]
Strength:

Look burley. Lotsa stainless allen screws. Cool plastic cables. Pimp color gold just like the rims on my Cadillac Eldorado. When they're working they stop you faster than Britney Spears on a first date. Made in Cali like me:)

Bleed em, ride, bleed em, ride, strip bleed screws, ride, replace bleed screws, bleed em, ride. Some pits on the discs gotta be filed down. Giant calipers are attracted to immovable objects, ouch! Screeeeeeech!!! when wet. Made in Cali like me:(

I've never been able to dial them in so they don't leak, squeak, and tweek. Am I a mechanically challanged idiot? Probably, but that's beside the point. I spend more time working on these than riding on them. I must say that when they do work, they're rockin like Don Dokken. Maybe I'll get em dialed one day and be as happy as Bret Michaels at a spandex convention, but I doubt it. Sorry Mt. Cycle (Rob et al), nice job on those frames, though.

Similar Products Used: Mandy Moore at her Jr. High prom.
paul   cross-country rider [May 24, 1998]

So why is a guy with a hardtail running a disc brake? Long story. No complaints in the stopping category, of course, and the modulation is incredible! A truly high performance system. I do find that I need to bleed it after about seven rides, though, which is a pain, 'cause it can start going spongy on you during a ride, and you can't figure out why you're riding like a 'tard until you realize you're pulling the lever to the bars and still not braking hard. But that's hydraulic stuff for you, eh?

Peter   Weekend Warrior [Dec 03, 2000]
Strength:

Modulation, Stopping Power, Looks, Floating disks, Great levers.

Like the reviewer further below says, the adjustment screw on the lever 'strips'. The floating disks are a mixed blessing. On the one hand they don't warp, and even if they (or the rims) slightly do it means you don't get as much drag as fixed rotors. But on the other hand they make quite a lot of noise 'rattling' about. Not much of a problem, but those who like to cruise in 'stealth' mode should take note. Actually, the REAL problem that I have faced is the rear Pro Stop hub.

I've own/owned a number of bikes and brake systems. I don't 'demo' it, I use it so I can say that whatever I may say is from an unbiased opinion on what I experienced. Now, the Pro Stop ties with the Hope in terms of performance. The Pro Stops are in fact beautiful things to use and own. But unfortunately the hubs (at least the rear one) do not do justice to the disks. If you own or have seen them you can see that they are TINY as compared to Hope Fat bulbs and the like. Of course there are hubs the size of the Pro Stops such as the XTR's but they are much much smoother. In short, I've used this particular hub for just under one year. I freeride/downhill whenever I have the chance and jump anything sane at sight. My hub just simply gave up and my 'freewheel' became just that - a freewheel. My other hubs I ride just as hard and they've lasted 2 years or more. I would have liked to think that this was a freak thing, but if I was asked if I would buy another one of these hubs then I would have to say no.

Value rating 4
Performance rating 5
Deduct 2 for the darn hub.

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR and SRAM 9.0 Vees, Hope 4 pot, Shimano XT Disks and Hayes.
Bruce   Downhiller [Jun 21, 2000]
Strength:

When they are set-up, whoa - they stop.
Good support if you call George Dubois directly.

If you don't phone George Dubois directly, take a number and wait and wait and wait...

Buy lots of hydraulic fluid. They need to be bled a lot.
Not a peice of cake to bleed, but nothing you need an engineering degree for.

They howl like nothing Ive ever heard when they are damp. Don't need to let anyone I coming , they hear my brakes for miules around. (Hard to say I didn't dab the brakes on a fall-line!)

Would I buy them again? Probably not considering what is on the market, and what is coming.

Seems like you can get a great set or a problem set.

Similar Products Used: Any high-end hydraulic disc brake.
Tico Kinkade   Racer [Jun 06, 2000]
Strength:

Great modulation, pad retraction, low drag system. Easily adjustable. When set up properly (like anything) they work better than anything I have ridden (hayes, magura, hope, coda, etc). Call or e-mail George Dubois for detailed and proffessional directions and tips at mountaincycle.com.

The best full hydraulic disk system - High quality/Low price

Similar Products Used: hayes,shimano, hope, coda, magura
George D   Downhiller [Jun 02, 2000]
Strength:

Power, baby! Power! And Modulation. (None of that "on or off" crap.)

?

OK, the first time I set these brakes up, it was difficult to figure out what I was doing. (Mostly what size wrenches to use.) BUT... Once dialed, they are the bomb! Never had bleeding problems. Make sure everything is tight. (Good test is a dusty trail, any weeping oil will make dust stick.) ProStops work the way breaks SHOULD work. Squeeze harder=more braking power. It's called modulation. Something Hayes should look into. And, they pads actually grab the rotor, unlike a CODA or Magura. That's my beef, anyways. Couldn't be happier with these brakes. Best thing about disc brakes-> They work in the rain and mud!

Similar Products Used: Hayes, Coda, Magura Louise
Ken Marsh   Downhiller [Feb 17, 2000]
Strength:

Don't want to be nice so I won't!

Little screw on the lever to tighten to the bar strips and you can't tighten it enough. Mt. Cycle/Pro Stop has terrible support for the customer. If you contact them they will not call you back! I know, I've been dealing with them for 6 weeks to get the parts I need to fix my full hydrolics. I will list a few of the problems I have had with them. They are more interested in international sales and getting out their orders instead of ours! The American guys that bought them and got stuck in the first place need parts! Hope you don't order their stuff from over seas!!!! HA HA!

1) Five times I have had to replace the piston in the caliper. They must be defective and Mt. Cycle won't admit it. They break if you let the travel exceed a minimal amount. IE: If your pads wear down 25% or more then the piston comes out of it's retaining socket making the return spring not work. Then the brakes drag.
2) Mt. Cycle/ProStop will not replace the bushings on the disk because they wear out to quick. You have to buy them! Mine wore out in one month then I decided to make my own. I am a Mech. Engineer, I hope everyone who owns these brakes is an M.E.
3) Mt. Cycle/ProStop was nice enough to send me a replacement bleeder kit but it took two months and I had to call the support and they admitted their direction sucked. They talked me thru the process and it was totally different. I suggest that all user obtain a M.E. degree.
4) I ordered two t-shirts from Mt. Cycle and they sent the wrong ones, and the wrong size.
5) Iordered a custom seat from Mt. Cycle and they didn't even send it. They must have lost it also.
6) I talked to the President Robert R. and he said they were busy with international sales. Were at the interbike show and couldn't get out the products. The show is for a few days not two months.
6) Broke my frame and they actually sent me a new one. Said it nevr happened before and I talked with a local dealer and he says it happens all the time.
7) Forgot what number I am on and could care less what Mt. Cycle thinks of me but I do have to say that I love the bike and ride it hard. Hope it doesn't brake again.

Try to avoid like the flew! Get Hope or Magura!