Magura MT6 Disc Brake System

Magura MT6 Disc Brake System

Sharing the same CarboTecture technology (German for carbon fiber-reinforced thermoplastic) as the flagship cross-country MT8 brake, the Magura MT6 Disc Brake matches the MT8's stopping power for a hair more weight and a lower price. While the MT6 outweighs the race-level MT8, they get the...

[Jul 03, 2018]
personaX

Strength:

Weight, magnetic pad retention

Lack of power, difficult to bleed. These are the worst brakes I've owned. I got the first gen model and they had multiple issues. Eventually I sent them back to Magura and they sent me new ones which I sold immediately.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2013
[Feb 06, 2016]
Nick
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Modulation

Power, far lever pull, constant bleeding

I have been using these for 6 months on a Stumpjumper. I have had to bleed the front 3 times, and the rear once. When I bled the rear recently, I discovered a leak from the back of the lever, and couldn't get any stopping power thereafter. I brought it to my LBS and they had the same problem, and are contacting Magura to see if they will warranty the brake. These brakes are unreliable and a constant project. The caliper design makes the pads easy to contaminate, which is a never-ending battle. The reservoir screw on the lever is a plastic torque screw, and you will inevitably strip it. They are $8 to replace. The stopping power is sufficient, but not what you'd expect from such an expensive brake. You have to grab a handful of lever, hard, to get said power. Now for the good: Modulation. They modulate exceptionally well. The pistons are magnetic, alleviating the need for a retainer clip to hold your pads in, which is quite genius. I will be replacing these with Shimano XT's because i'm tired of the constant maintenance. Conclusion: Avoid yourself the headaches and buy Shimano brakes.

[Jan 18, 2016]
Bill Hilow
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Light
Interchangeability of pads between series
Very sophisticated specification

Maintenance
Price
Long lever pull
Delicate

What good is all the stopping power in the world if you can't access it?
They weigh less than comparable Shimano but they never work as reliably. I've been bleeding brakes since the first M585 series came out. These by far pale in comparison. I echo the others reviews about needing constant bleeds and long lever pull. I question the sanity of using easily stripped plastic screws for the bleed port and dedicated syringe fittings which don't work half as well as a zirc and require special tools. Everything about these brakes including bleeding instructions are incongruous. The fact that after finally getting them set up and realizing that the stopping power is marginal is anticlimactic.
The secret to bleeding is to discard the bleeder block and use a stack of shims from the hardware store. After you have the air all evacuated remove 2mm of shims and inject till the caliper pistons enclose the shims. Then button it up.
I honestly don't know wth hell they are thinking using a screw in syringe it's error prone and invites air bubbles. These brakes suck and as soon as they die if they don't kill me first I am getting some XTs installed.

Shimano, SRAM

[Mar 18, 2014]
trmn8er
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Modulation
Weight
Value

Power

I had the MT8 on my Stumpjumper 26 which I sold. Thankfully, my new 2013 Epic came with MT6, which I think I like even more than the MT8. As others have mentioned, the brake feels stronger on the MT6 due to the lever. When MT series brakes are bled correctly, they totally rock. These brakes are good for all Mtn stuff, not just XC due in large part to their excellent modulation and control.

MT8
XT

[Jan 01, 2013]
mseymour

Strength:

Modulation, no need for bleeding (so far), light weight, reasonable price

bed in

Bed in took a while, but after they are bedded in, they work great. I've been riding in 2-10 degree celsius temps and have not had to bleed them. They work great when it's wet and are quiet. Modulation is logical and progressive. Power is good, even with a 140mm rotor on the rear. Easy installation and setup, with videos provided by Magura if you need help.

Magura Marta SL, Sram BB7

[Jun 03, 2012]
manensky

Strength:

Very logical modulation feel.
Easy to bleed.
Outlook

EBT screws are plastic, which makes them very easy to destroy
Needs xtra bleedings when temperature is less than -15C

Overall I am very satisfied with my MT6 brakes. Especially brake power modulation fits for me perfectly. Only downside on my MT6s is constant need to bleed them on colder winter days. System leaks a little when temperature goes under -15C and brakes needs bleeding after 20hr of riding (luckily bleeding is brain dead simple). When temperature rises leakage stops. Beside of small leaking, these brakes have no other issues with coldness.

Formula R1, Hayes HFX-, Shimano XT

[Feb 21, 2012]
mtbmitch2

Strength:

These German engineered and German made brakes have great power and modulation. The rotors are a bit thicker than
most of the rotors out there so they stay true. I have not had any significant fading problems with the mt-6 brakes. These brakes hardly squeal when they get wet. Nice full size levers. The unique caliper piston seals keep the brake pads centered
very well.

price

great brakes and extremely light

various Formulas, Hopes, older style Maguras