Magura MT2 Disc Brake System

Magura MT2 Disc Brake System

As with the MT4, the brake lever supplied on the basic model in the MT range is made from Carbotecture. The lever and clamp are manufactured from aluminium. The two-piece brake calliper provides for a more economic production process, and Magura passes on this price advantage directly to the end customer. As a basic model, the MT2 is only behind its bigger sisters in tipping the scales, as it delivers the same braking power and optimum lever geometry as the models toward the top end of the range. Value-for-money even for the thrifty - and for all those who aspire to thrift. Rotor and adapter sold separately.

[Feb 14, 2017]
LJ
Downhiller

Strength:

These are a great set of brakes, if you have an issue with them then the only reason I can see for it is that you are using their rotors instead of anything else or you haven't a clue what you are doing and are talking bollox because you picked a set of brakes that were not intended to be hammered by you piss poor riding skills. If that's your issue go for the four pot ones and put heat vented pads on them like you should have bought in the first place. Go for the 4 pot version, or even buy Magura Gustav M if you can find them, or go for hope 4 pots. Just stop blaming excellent kit for your stupidity.

No weaknesses.

Really great brakes as usual from Magura, only let down in reviews by talentless idiots who ride their brakes and who bought the wrong brake.

Magura Gustav M, Shimano BR-M445, Tektro Gemini.

[Aug 30, 2016]
bruno

Strength:

weight and price

no modulation, loss of power on heavy braking.

I had a Magura MTS that came on 2014 Stumpjumper Expert, but the brakes whent to warranty. then Magura send me the replacement, the MT2 ...
In the only XCO race, on the 4 lap descent on full attack mode, i had no braking power!

so i took off this piece of s#hit brakes...

[Jun 12, 2016]
aroundoz

Strength:

Great modulation and quiet.

None Yet.

My bike was supposed to have come with Shimano SLXs but the people in assembly didn't get the message and I received these instead. Very disappointed initially but I have to say I am pretty darn happy with these things. One of the quietest brakes I have ever had and I have had a bunch including several SRAM/Avid models which would not stop squealing. In addition to being quite, the levers feel great. I am a big guy and they fit my hands perfectly.

I saw a lot of reviews which made me nervous but I guess I am one of the lucky ones and I would definitely get them again.

[Jul 24, 2015]
Tim Toldnes

Strength:

Good stopping power. Easy pad removal. Easy lever adjustment.

Magura brake rotor is problematic.

I just bought a brand new Cannondale Scalpel 29er that came with the Magura MT2 brakes. I did my research before buying and found overall good reviews for the MT2.

Mine worked fine for the first few rides, maybe 100km or so, and then I started having problems. The front brake would squeal, chirp, and pulsate so much that the fork would shake under moderate braking. I cleaned up the pads and rebedded them a few times, made sure the caliper was aligned properly, even tried running the rotor backwards but nothing helped. They would work fine for about 5km then the problem would come back.

I found reports of similar performance on the Magura website forum. One rider posted that his Cannondale LBS replaced the Magura with a Shimano rotor and the problem went away. For $23 I was willing to see if the Shimano rotor worked. So far 43km and everything is working properly. It's a bit frustrating to spend $3000 on a new bike and the brakes suck, but it only cost me $23 to fix so I'm not too upset about it.

Shimano XT

[Aug 12, 2013]
jersievers

Strength:

Light weight and price

Fundamentally flawed with plastic clamp.

All the early versions of the MT series had AL clamps including the "mix master" style clamp. Then production comes and they have the Carbontechture clamp.

All instructions mention the AL clamps or the Carbon on the MT8. The included instructions are for the MT8 even. Didn't they test these.

They specifically say 3Nm for the camp torque, clamp top then clamp bottom. There is no way to get the top clamp to 3Nm without pushing out the wrench from the allow bolt, stripping it.

That said you don't need 3Nm to keep them from moving on the bar. 2-2.5Nm works. Both of my lever cracked on the first ride...seems other people have had this happen too.

Specialized has many many many bikes speced with the MTS, I assumed they tested the heck out of those, they also have an AL clamp. Many friends around here have them and have no problems.

I am switching back to Shimano.

WHen they were working, they were great brakes, I have lost faith in them and I will not play that game with my brakes.

[Jun 24, 2013]
Nicolas

Strength:

Braking power
progressivity
Don't heat up

Noise with Storm SL rotor

Was supplied on my Cannondale F29 (180mm and 160mm).

Good stopping power, good progressivity. Don’t heat up. I don t have long term feedback as they have only one months.

With my Storm SL rotors and 7.3 pads (seems like they are cheap quality OEM only pads), they makes a lot of sound, not squeaking but a taktatktak intermitive sound, like a vibration. That’s because the sharp edges of the pads are entering the big holes in the Storm SL pads. So you have to remove the pads and make them a chamfer, that solutions very well. I also think that with better quality pads (7.2 or 7.1) it will solve the problems.

[Sep 15, 2012]
Guillermo

Strength:

Price, weight, power, modulation and ergonomics.

Non really, the only thing is that the pads that comes from factory are the performance type and they run out relatively fast, now i bought the endurance type so let's see how much time do they last.

They are a really good brakes, i love them, they are powerful, and have a very nice feeling. They really worth for the money.

[Jul 09, 2012]
Nurse Ben
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Inexpensive, lightweight, mineral oil, well moderated (ie not grabby)

Lightweight lever and body made of mylon, so durability issues to be dentermined over the long run...

I bought these to replace some squealing Tektro Comps whcih I bought on the cheap and they were cheap! I like mineral oil brakes so the only other choice is Shimano. I previously ran Magura rim brakes, so these seemed like a natural choice. The price was right, they are very light, easy set up, shortening the lines without bleeding was a no brainer. My 185 rotor was a little out of true, but fixable, then 200mm rotor was true. Both brakes bedded in easilly, run very smooth, power is gradual, so not grabby. I like that the pads can be removed from the brake without removing the caliper. Nice brakes, durability of the nylon lever and body TBD.

Juicy, Tektro Comp, Shimano Deore, Bengal Helix, BB5/7

[Apr 17, 2012]
Mauricio Perez
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

POWER, LIGHT, GREAT LOOKING.PRICE 259 USD FOR THE BRAKESET INCLUDING ROTORS AND ADAPTORS FRONT AND REAR GREAT DEAL

NOT A WEAKNESS AT ALL BUT THE INITIAL BITE IS BETTER IN OTHER BRAKES LIKE FORMULA OR AVID´S

INCREDIBLE BRAKING POWER FOR A BRAKE SET UNDER 300 BUCKS, VERY EASY TO ADJUST AND WEIGH LESS THAN MANY OF ITS COMPETITORS OF HIGHER PRICE.

AVID CR, SHIMANO SLX, FORMULA RX.