Magura Gustav M Disc Brake System

Magura Gustav M Disc Brake System

• Redesigned master cylinder
  • Fully-hydraulic downhill/freeride brake
  • Unrivaled stopping power
  • Pre-bled and ready to mount

[Oct 29, 2012]
albert

Strength:

power that never fade

1. Hard to find a single crown suspension that let you use 210mm rotor, you are limited to Magura forks only.
2. Discontinued product from Magura. Guess they made it too perfect and you will never buy another set of brakes and thats why they stopped making them?!

I use this set of brakes on my touring bike + Bob trailer for 2 years now.

On my 2009 EuroAsia tour, I used BB7 (160mm front and rear), and on some long descends the brake heats up very quickly and the power just fade away. I weigh 70kg, bike 15kg-20kg, trailer 30kg.

I then changed to these Gustav M brakeset, I had 210mm and 190mm installed, and I never had a problem with fading brakes ever again.

too bad they discontinued this model....

[Oct 26, 2012]
Kunalagon Umuhanik

Strength:

Enormous stopping power, as everybody else already said in earlier reviews. My weight is 120kg and it can easely throw me over the handlebar. It throw me even when I put rear panniers weighted 30kgs. I heard it has force ratio 1/12. Great and precise modulation. Pads can be easly changed in 2 minutes. Easy bleeding.

Sometimes, setup is pain in the ass. Frame/fork brake holder has to be perfectly aligned, parallel (in case IS standard), otherwise it will draging the rotor. Today, it is hard to find spare parts, especialy caliper holders for some other mounting standards, and if you find it the price would be something like ... 130 euros or so. Magura stops producing everyparts for this brakes. 210mm rotor is a bit easier to find, but just today.
Many people would say WEIGHT is a weaknesse, but, the weight of this brake is about 600g and my weight is about 120kg and weight of my bicycle is about 25kg. 600grams is nothing comparing to overall weight.
This brake is so strong that it tends to bent wheel (front). Your spoke should be in very high tension. but not too high because it could leads to spoke riping. And if you use this rear brake with 190mm rotor, on thinner frames, like cannondale trail models, it will bent rear fork and everything is going to bent which leads to strange noise and very loud which affects braking power, and at last it will crack your frame... aaahh, so strong, SO STRONG !

All in all, very strong brake with great modulation. Especialy usefull for heavy riders, tandem bicycles, or heavy loaded bikes with panniers or other stuff.

[Aug 15, 2010]
Andrew G

Strength:

-Sick, sick, sick and endless braking power which doesnt ever fade.
-Don't think it is possible to destroy they.

- Weight but who cares?
- For 99% trails they are just too strong. It's hard to get used to the fact that you can easily lock the front wheel with one finger no matter what.

If you want to have a brakes that you just mount and they stop you whenever you want and you just forget about the rest they are for you. Moreover they still have this oldschool design, and not those crappy marzocchi skulls that can make you look ridiculous.

there is none. they are in their own league

[Jun 22, 2010]
tommy__dh
Downhiller

Strength:

most powerful on the planet earth, great modulation, superb quality, design

best brakes I ever have, no problems at all with maintenance, very, very strong and powerful, excellent modulation, some say weight, but they are just 80g heavier than others which absolutely nothing.

hope m4, m6, avid 7, mag

[Feb 02, 2010]
Mahesh
Downhiller

Strength:

Fantastic power, excellent modulation. I found they were easy to bleed and change pads. Floating caliper is a great design.

Finding replacement parts for repairs and maintenance is not only a hassle, but can be VERY expensive. I had a very tough time finding a hose replacement kit that didn't cost an arm and a leg and was actually compatible with the shape of the caliper.

If you don't mind spending the money and doing a bit of homework to get the necessary parts to do maintenance and repairs, these are an AMAZING set of brakes. Granted, they're the first set of DH brakes that I've used, but I've never had to think about them while riding. I'm almost worried about what'll happen when I eventually switch to another brand/model, which I've been considering given how hard/expensive it is to repair these. They don't get a 5 for value because of the post-purchase expense factor, but performance wise, I'd give them a 10 out of 5 if I could.

Hayes 9

[Jan 26, 2010]
hurtn4certn

Strength:

Amazing stopping power! Did I mention they can stop a tandem (400 LBS with bike and riders) in a heartbeat?!?

None. Well weight maybe, but these are on a tandem with Brooks saddles and a Rohloff hub. So these are the least of my weight concerns.

I've always been a Magura HS-33 hydraulic rim brake guy. I have them on every MTB and our Cannondale tandem. So when it came time to buy our new baby, Alex at MTBTandems recommended these brakes. Being my first set of discs, I was simply blown away (isn't it amazing how we sometimes refuse to embrace new technologies? That was me with disc brakes. "Why do I need those, my HS-33's are just fine") Let me tell you, these Gustav's were like going from cantelevers to the HS-33's! Our tandem with riders is over 400 LBS, now add panniers, water, lights and you've got a potential MAC truck on your hands. 210mm rotors stop on a dime! If I ride the tandem around without a stoker and lock the front brake, then entire tandem will start a front wheel stand! AMAZING! Are they the lightest, definately not. Do they stop? Oh yes! And if you ever need a temporary disc brake set up for your motorcycle, you could probably steal these off your bicycle for awhile.

Magura HS-33'sd

[Dec 23, 2009]
ryan2100

Strength:

sheer stopping power, modulation

weight

These are the best brakes avaliable. They are heavy, but are well worth the extra weight. Unless you are racing, these are the brakes for you. I never realized how important good brakes are, this has been the single best upgrade for my bike, and will trully make you faster going downhill. I have been using these brakes for 3 years now and have never had to bleed them once, all Ive done is change the pads and they are still as good as new. IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT GETTING THIS BRAKES GET THEM, THEY ARE AMAZING

juicy 7, marta, louise, stroker, hayes 9

[Sep 24, 2009]
Mike D
Downhiller

Strength:

These are a beast of a brake! They do not fail, nothing phases them. They are bombproof and will not seize without the assistance of a welding torch. I weigh 230 pounds and they stop me like a wall.

They are a little on the heavy side, but so am I. All the more reason to have all that heavy-duty stopping power.

The bottom line is that these will help you stop before you cross the line that would send you to the bottom. Sometimes I put my life in the hands of my brakes, and by being alive I'd say the brakes have a pretty good record.

Magura Julie, Louise, Clara, Shimano.

[Oct 27, 2008]
greg w

Strength:

They stop, modulate, and never fade. Always there when you need them.

They are not light, and if you dont know what you are doing they could be a pain to set up.

Really nice brakes, despite the weight factor. I wouldnt swap them for the world. I only weigh 150 but still think they are not overkill, because they do modulate so well..The Wotan fork is made for them so the usual adapter gripes dont apply here. When you want something made well, ask the Germans to do it. Like thier forks, the fit , finish and execution are top notch. Oh, and as with all magura brakes, you dont need to re-bleed them when you cut the lines to fit your bike. Im a bike mechanic and would rather work on Maguras than any other brake system. You get what you pay for, perferction

marta's, juicy 5, 7, code et al.

[Jun 12, 2008]
Downhill Dave
Downhiller

Strength:

The best stopping brakes, period.

None. Other people probably say weight

I have used different Hayes brakes, Magura Louise FR, and Avid Codes. These are by far the best. I bought a front and rear set, used off Ebay. The only problem I had was getting the adaptor for the front shock. The company had under calculated the popularity. I was at the 08 Sea Otter Classic, and went to the Magura Booth. They shortened the brake line and bled the brakes for free. Great brakes, just takes a little time to set up properly. Like I had read, they are alomost too much brake. You have to get used to their power. You will have no trouble stopping. They are also very quiet. My Codes drove my crazy with their noise and vibration. They are pricey but worth it.

Hayes, Avid Code, Magura Louise Fr