Magura Clara Hydraulic Disc Disc Brake System

Magura Clara Hydraulic Disc Disc Brake System

Tech features: No compromise, fully hydraulic disc brake system with a single piston, fixed brake caliper featuring direct manual pad wear adjustment. Slotted stainless steel 160mm diameter rotors for both front and rear. Composite brake lever assembly (master cylinder) with expansion chamber and grippy 2-finger cold forged aluminium lever blade. 5 years leakproof warranty on both brake lever and brake caliper

[May 19, 2015]
Zomby Woof (MCM700)

Strength:

Works great. Silky smooth and silent.

Non adjustable lever arm

These brakes came on my 2000 Cannondale SuperV700SX which I bought new. It was my first mountain bike and my first hydraulic disc brakes. Well the brakes still work great. They have great stopping power, they are silent, silky smooth and have great modulation.

[Oct 03, 2009]
Cyclops

Strength:

Cheap and light, nicely made and look good

Lot of lever travel

Its not a downhill brake you morons! Works fine as commuter brake, bit too much travel before bite but OK. Bought one at closeout from an online store on ebay, thrashed it for 2 months, no problems so I bought two more for spares/my xc Voodoo wanga. Power of the brake is not huge but its for XC or commute not all mountain or DH. I only paid about $19US each so Happy!

Hayes Nine, BB5's, Tektro IO, Shimano Deore

[Feb 25, 2009]
greg9499

Strength:

Work fine when they work

Unreliable! I spent HEAPS of time returning them to manufacturer again and again each time the seized up. They would repeatedly squeak and jam. The manual adjustment design also means that they can need new breaking in after being tightened up.
Piles of steaming crud. In the end even the Magura rep couldn't make them work and upgraded me to Julies for free.

avoid!

Magura Julie. Quite good.

[Jul 06, 2008]
bennyjekyll700
Downhiller

Strength:

they look good

terrible stoping power, no strength, very soft feel

DO NOT BUY THESE. ive had my jekyll for about 3 months and ive had constant problems with my breakes. They are hard to bleed,very finnicky when it's time for ajustment. just unreliable. Dont bother with them get hayes or shimano

tektro v brakes

[Jul 12, 2003]
royce

Strength:

better than dragging your foot,rotors give appearance of real disc brakes on your bike, can also be used as hood orniment for dodge pickup

dangerous,sucky,never work when you need them most

dont buy them,even if they come on your bike.you would be much happier with a boat anchor to pith off when brakes are needed.

dragging foot,shimano v brakes,avid mechs.

[Jun 22, 2003]
Ludwig

Strength:

They look like disc brakes..........

They don't work like disc brakes.....

Came as standard on bike.

Worked fine for the first few months of light use. Took them on a serious ride to Wales and the levers pumped up after half a days riding.

Since then, the system kept on filling with air and required a bleed after EVERY ride. Good when they work - you'd just better be an avid mechanic with a free hour after each ride to rebleed.

Seen them for sale at £35 on closeout - false economy when you consider how much you will have to spend on bleeding.

I have now upgraded to Hope M4's and I am looking forward to fitting and forgetting.

Hope M4's, V Brakes, Soles of my shoes, my face

[Sep 06, 2003]
Gordon

Strength:

Now, not being a Mag disc user, I can't condone the use of their product. I do use HS 33's and love them to death, even though it took 3 days to set them up right, but now I never have to look at them again.

I can give three points of interest to help Maggie users along the bumpy road of set up so that you don't have to bite the bullet and go to Hopes (the best of the best). First, don't use mineral oil, I know...I know...they say you can, but it's too thick and braking response will slow down like Mole-asses in january. Second, make sure your mounting on the bike is perfect, I recommend contacting a shop that has the Maggie facing tool. Third, dump all the fluid on your brakes if they're over a couple of years old and replace with Magura Royal Blood, it's thinner than Maggie blood and doesn't boil as quickly, also improves the brake fade feeling and need for adjustment after every ride. Third...setup setup setup, take as much time as possible and don't be afraid to improv just a little to make things work. These fixes help a bunch if done right, especially the new blood.

Maggies are great, but most people don't take the time to research or setup what they've got. If you've got maggies and still want to give them a shot, try pulling them, facing your mounts and bleeding them before remounting, I bet that will fix 99% of problems. A lot of work when you could just buy Hopes, but worth it when you get them set up right. Don't like em and wanna get rid of them ? E mail me, I'll deal as long as they don't leak !

Hayes on my Stinky, HS 33's on my Kilauea

[Feb 10, 2003]
Marcus Bowers

Strength:

Worked well out of the box and for the first few months.
Easy pad adjustment.

Resevoir leaks in cold weather (below freezing.
After several months of use stopping becomes impossible (even after bleeding the lines and changing the pads).
Single piston.

I would not waste money on these brakes.(or any single piston hydro for that matter)

Hayes Hydro, Avid Mech

[Feb 07, 2002]
Andrew Gilly

Strength:

Works well when set up properly, excellent warranty.

Often fail, pumping is always required and then they start to leak. As I said warranty is good but is is kind of pointless. I went through seven levers this season(thank god for warranty)but now they are to expensive to keep up so I am going back to v's. Aren't reliable

Good when set up properly but I am still waiting for that moment since it has never been more than two minutes without the brakes failing. Magura has an excellent warranty but have to learn to make good brakes so that the warranty can really be useful. Disk brakes are too expensive for me!!

hayes hydros, hayes hmx-1 (only tested never owned)

[Oct 29, 2001]
paul

Strength:

When working they work well

Plastic lever housing is CRAP!!! Both levers cracked, and one shattered. Brakes 'pump up' which makes the reach much farther, and the rear brake rubs.

I too love the bike and HATE the brakes. I've had nothing but problems from day one with these Claras. If Magura warranties my broken levers I will not put them back on my bike; I'm going with XT.

First time on discs