Magura 2002 Louise Disc Brake System

New 2002: Dual piston fixed caliper with automatic pad wear adjustment. Reinforced lever blades with pivot bushings reduce friction and ensure a super smooth, rattlefree and more precise function. The colourless anodized brake lever and caliper feature an enhanced shock durability with a long lasting finish.

olegbabich   Weekend Warrior [May 17, 2009]

Front brake gave out after 2.5 months of use

I got these on Ebay. The product was a left over, but brand new item. I had it professionally mounted and the brakes worked great for about 2 months. Now the front lever goes to the handle bar and I need a replacement. I’m glad I only paid $40. Anyone looking for a deal on these leftover- buyer beware.

Similar Products Used: shimano xt
ligfiets   Racer [Mar 19, 2009]
Strength:

Lots of stopping power - when it works.

Durability, reliability.

Used them several years on my commuting recumbent, but needed to replace lever and brake twice. The piston doesn't need much dirt to get stuck, the levers started to leak after two years. Needs a lot of attention.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XTR disc brake
Apexrandy   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

good modulation & stopping power, wet or dry

none so far

They came with bike - judging from previous reviews, I'm assuming Magura has stepped up and done some improvements - I've been riding this bike hard, nearly every day, sand, grit, in the rain, dropped numerous times - no problems, no squealing, no leaking.
If "the curse" appears a little down the line, I will come back and flame on the evil Germans.....but until then, I have to drop five flaming chiles cuz they've been perfect.

Similar Products Used: various v types
pat stayton   [May 31, 2003]
Strength:

IM STILL TRYING TO FIND THE STRENGTHS

WHERE DO I START I HAVE HAD THESE BRAKES FOR A LITTLE OVER TWO MONTHS AND HAVE HAD THEM BACK IN THE SHOP SEVEN TIMES THEY ABSOLUTLEY SUCK . IF YOUR LOOKING FOR GOOD BRAKES DONT LOOK AT THESE.

IHAVE MAGURA LOUISE I SERIOUSLY WOULD NOT RECOMEND THEM TO ANYONE .THEY LEAK CONSTANTLY MAKING EVERY RIDE MISERABLE IPLAN ON REPLACING THEM WITH HAYES XC.

Similar Products Used: I HAVE HAD NOTHING SIMILAR EXCEPT PUTTING YOUR FEET DOWN ON THE GROUND LIKE WHEN YOU WERE A KID.
philip   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2003]
Strength:

good power, good moulation

break down frequently, levers leak, air gets into system

these brakes are a complete waste of money. i had mine replaced 3!!! times now due to leaking levers. magura doesn't seem to have any kind of quality control on this ridiculous product. i'm really sick of these crappy things and will replace them with something else. this was definitely the last magura product i purchased.

Similar Products Used: deore
Divan Schoeman   Cross Country Rider [Apr 27, 2003]
Strength:

Nice braking capebilaties.
Verry durable.
Cheap to maintain.

Dificault to adjust.
Needs adjusting quite often.

Verry nice braking system.
Nice to use, even for an beginner.
Verry good braking.
Rides verry cumfortable.

Similar Products Used: n/a
John   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2002]
Strength:

Easily modulated braking power, great performance in wet conditons.

They tend to go through pads at a pretty healthy clip. I should qualify that by saying I have almost exclusively ridden the bike in the mud since I got it this fall. I'm also a bit over 200 lbs.

Bottom Line: The 2002 Louise brakes were spec'd on the bike. They excel at everything from rapidly hauling me down from high speed to precice braking on steep, technical sections. Technical service and support is outstanding. I had a problem with one of the rear pistons dragging a bit; Magura aggressively and promptly addressed the issue and solved it to my complete satisfaction. Impressive product, impressive company; two big thumbs up.

Similar Products Used: I made the quantum jump from cantilevers to these. I tried out a friend's bike with Hayes brakes; they seemed like they were either off or on without a whole lot in between.
Tim Sesink   Cross Country Rider [Jan 20, 2004]
Strength:

NONE

Everything nothing but problems am switching over to XT's

The suck no power, exposed resovoir which i grpound almost clean off, couldn't stop if my life depended on it BOTTOM LINE

Robert Campbell   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2002]
Strength:

good modulation

Constant mechanical problems.

These brakes are an absolute nightmare. I have blown the master cylinder on them 3 times (once was because of a crash). Magura was nice and did send me a replacement lever/master cylinder the first time, but this broke agiain within a couple of weeks. They have also been bled a couple of times, because air kept getting in the lines. Finding a store that actually stocks any parts for this brake (other then pads) is impossible, which means a long downtime until a replacement part comes in. After the third time and an almost accumulated 4 weeks of downtime, these brakes came off my bike and I put on a set of Hayes. Most shops I talk to hate working on these brakes and until Magura brakes and parts become more of an accepted standard save yourself a lot of pain and aggravation and stick with either Hayes, XT or Avid brakes. I agree with a previous reviewer, you need a pit crew with a van full of spare parts in order maintain these brakes.

Spokey   Cross Country Rider [Feb 06, 2003]
Strength:

Easily modulated braking power.

Leaks air, requires pumping brake lever.

The 2002 Louise brakes were spec'd on the bike. They worked well for about 1 month and then the rear brake needed bleeding to remove air. Two weeks later the same thing happened and caused a minor fall due to no brake power in an emergency stop (no time to pump the brake). Bike shop discovered small leak in the front brake lever piston. Technical service and support from SuperGo is greatly appreciated. They warranty replaced the complete rear brake system quickly and with no hassle, swapping it out with the newer model.

The front brake pads needed replacement after 2 months of cross country riding and now continue to squeal loudly. Now the front brake system is exibiting the same problem as the original rear system and will go in for warranty replacement soon too.

If you find a new bike spec'd with these brakes have them swapped out for the newer model Magura brake set before you buy the bike - you and the bike shop will be happier.