Hope Tech X2 Disc Brake System

Hope Tech X2 Disc Brake System

The HopeTech X2 replacesThe Mono Mini usingThe newly designed flip flopTech lever and X2 caliper. Several features include split clamp, bearing pivot and bite point adjustment knob. BothThe caliper and lever are CNC Machined in Barnoldswick, England of 2014T6 Aluminum Alloy.This is a perfect brake for all mountain, aggressive XC or light freeride applications. Features Wide angle hose fitting allows for easier hose routingBearing lever pivotFlip-flop, split clamp lever designDrip free bleed nipp

[Mar 24, 2018]
dhbiking2

Strength:

Ive been using hope products for over 15 years. There were a few growing pains the first few years hope products were available no doubt. I was also buying product used and was new to the disc brakes as a whole. Since the second year riding both the brakes and hubs(2002-2003). The products and company have been flawless and are progressively pulling away from the competition each year. Any issues that have come up as a result of a flawed product, or my dumb ass screwing something up, have been easily resolved. A quick call to the very knowledgeable folk at hope is about the most that has been required in the last 9 years or so.

Cost, but in this case worth every coin paid

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
[Mar 09, 2014]
max_lombardy

Strength:

Looks
Made in UK
Strong!
Quiet
Easy bleed
Oozes quality
Need I go on?

Every other brake seems like a toy in comparison

This is for the Hope Tech 3 lever with X2 caliper. Wow! Super nice finish, very high quality brake. I've been on the new XT, XTR, as well as the newest XO trails. All are good brakes but this one is in a different class altogether. It's got power for days and the best modulation I've ever felt. I was in love with the new XO trails, definitely a great brake but this one is just amazing. I'll still keep the XO trails on my super light FS rig, but these bad boys will be on my bruiser of an AM steel hardtail. Can't get over the lever feel, looks, power and modulation. If you're thinking of buying these, just go for it, you will NOT be disappointed!!

[Sep 26, 2012]
Harvey Gough
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Quality
Feel
Power
Adjustability
Pad longevity
Looks awsome especially with the hope caliper mount.

The bare aluminium finish looks great but it is also very sharp around the edges on the levers.

I used a pair of these for my XC bike for about 7 months and regretably sold them along with my XC bike. They came bled from the box and I didn't have to bleed them since and they felt exactly the same when I sold them as when I got them new. There are some really nice touches like the bite point adjustment and lever reach knobs which are really bulky so you can operate them while wearing gloves. Currently have a pair of avid juicy carbons and they don't hold a candle to the hopes it terms of quality and feel. The X2s were so good i've decided i'm going to buy a pair of M4s for my new AM bike :).

Avid Juicy Ultimate Carbon

[Jul 14, 2012]
powanddirt

Strength:

power-weight ratio. great modulation. pretty look and feel of the lever. care free and consistant.

im running 2011 tech x2 for rear on my nomad carbon with 8inch floating rotor and it is awesome. i do everything from grocery shopping to gnarly hike a bike in pemberton on my nomad and x2 on rear does everything very well. i was worried about being underpowered with my freeride oriented riding style but i can least say as a rear brake, it works flawlessly on xc, all mountin to even freeride bikes. i switched from riding avids ( elixir cr and code) and differences in modulation and feel between avids and hopes are huge. avid feels stronger but hope feels as though it has more useful power. i much prefer the feel of hope.

[May 07, 2012]
hogprint

Strength:

Power, Modulation, Styling.

Howls like a screaming banshee when any moisture is present but what brake doesn't

I have been running the Hope Tech series for about 4 years now. I have been thoroughly impressed with the durability and beauty of thee brakes. I'm currently running the X2 special editions on my Jet9 with 185mm front and 160mm rear floating rotors. I'm never at a loss for power and the lever feel allows the most delicate modulation of the brakes power. I can't say enough about the installation and performance of these brakes. They are worth every penny.

All the Avid line and the new Shimano line

[Feb 04, 2012]
Eric Taylor

Strength:

Extremely well designed and produces. Top quality components, very solid, nothing flimsy. Fully rebuildable. Very tight feel, clean and consistent action. Plus no fade even on long multi-mile all-mountain downhills. Love the full CNC machining.

As one reviewer pointed out, the master cylinder stick outs and gets slightly in the way of down-shifter lever. But the solid design of the brake lever is well worth working around this minor inconvenience. The brake pads could be a tad longer providing more surface area for braking friction, but Hope thinks a longer pad makes no difference and just adds weight. Will explain below.

Did some serious research before buying these brakes. What I wanted was a brake with excellent power, very tight feel, no fade, and with pistons in the caliper that don't stick. The brake I was comparing to was the XT as this brake is quite good and basically meets these criteria. People complain about an on/off feel and the grinding noise of the pads on the rotor of the XT and I will address this in terms of what I have learned about hydraulic brakes.

Stopping power is a function primarily of these factors: the leverage of the brake lever on the master cylinder, surface area of the pistons in the caliper, the friction between the brake pad and rotor (pad type) and quality (compressibility and flex) of components.

The design of the brake lever determines that amount of force transferred to the master cylinder. Combining this with the diameter (surface area) of the caliper pistons yields the total force that is applied to the brake pad. Most XC type, 2-piston brake systems are very similar in the amount of force they apply to the brake pad, such as Hayes, Shimano, Hope, Formula, Avid, etc. Hope explained to me that the force from the pistons are the main stopping factor not brake pad length. However, adding extra pad length does provide more surface area for friction, so it must have some, if minimal, effect. Now speaking of pads, the largest contributor to stopping power appears to be the brake pad. I have found tremendous differences between not only types, but brands. The Shimano pads are what creates the on/off feel of their brake. Different pads, different feel. In terms of fade, this appears to be essentially a function of brake quality. Flimsy design and parts leads to parts that flex and compress with the immense force put on them and by heat generated from use.

In the end, I chose Hope because they as super well designed and built, and the cost is more than reasonable for the quality. The XT brakes work very similarly, but are no where near the quality. Highly recommend!!

Avid Juicy, Shimano XT 785, Avid BB7 with a variety of different types and brands of pads

[Jul 21, 2011]
acesEPIC

Strength:

Specifically rating the Hope Tech X2's 183mm "floating" Front rotor / 160mm "floating" rotor
Front 183mm floating rotor = 147g, Rear 160mm floating rotor = 102g, 268g (rear caliper, hose, master cylinder) 257g (front caliper hose, master cylinder, 49g front POST adapter w/ bolts, 34g rear IS adapter w/ bolts

Bling factor for sure! The machined calipers & master cylinder bodies are works of art. Product craftsmanship is top notch. It's great to see machined aircraft aluminum is still being used & can keep up with all the rampid carbon impregnated plastic stuff riddling the market now.

The break in period was pretty quick, within one 3 hour training ride. Once the rotors were bedded in, braking was 1 finger! Wow, I have never felt lever modulation like that on these X2's. SMOOOTH lever actuation, butter smooth.

The master cylinder body is big, requiring you to make do with a slightly different shifter position. Though this isn't so much a weakness as it is more something to deal with.

I had to do some grinding to the front POST mount adapter to stop the rotor from skimming across it. 2 minute modification.

I already covered many of the great strengths of these brakes. I was running 160mm rotors front & rear on my 29er. I wanted more power from the front & decided to go up to a 180mm front. This was the opportunity to try another braking system. My wife is English so I decided to try Hope's since they're from the motherland to the US.

Braking is confidently 1 finger. Power comes on smoothly & is very controllable. I really love the 2 knobs on each brake lever. First you set what Hope calls their Bite Control Point, which sets the amount of initial lever travel before pad to rotor contact. Once that's done the other dial sets the lever distance for the bar, which is individual to each rider. This can actually be done while riding if you're the type to fiddle with settings during a ride.

Man, if you've never considered Hope as a brand, take it from my experience, these should be on every rider's radar. Oh, the hoses come long. It's super easy to trim them & you don't need another olive to do this, as all the original parts are reuseable. Hose trimming is a 5 minute job, max, per hose. Easy! Hope has several tech videos demonstrating this procedure, as well, as the bleeding, which also looks much easier than Formulas were.

At about $220 per brake F or R, the price of entry isn't too bad. They're not the lightest brakes on the planet, but they are very adjustable, Modulation is awesome!, servicing is super easy for the home mechanic with basic skills, braking power is Great & they look cool.

Now I have to buy another set for my Epic 26"...

I've run XTR M70 brakes, Formula Oro Puros, Formula K24's, Avid's, & Hayes. The X2's a bit heavier than the Oro Puro's, also the R1's for that matter, however, these brakes look sturdily built = confidence inspiring.

[Jun 29, 2011]
tfrank01

Strength:

Excellent modulation. Easy setup being flip flop. Looks. No fade thus far. Adjustment. Setup videos online-easy setup. Did I mention the FEEL!!

Expensive but what isn't. A little noisy when wet.

Great brakes. Leaps and bounds better than my elixir's. A friend has a set as well and his feel just the same. I have never felt two avid's that were similar. I was having all sorts of problems with avids-no modulation, poor adjustment, etc... Hope fixed all of those problems. With floating rotors the price is actually reasonable. Lots of tech support so dont worry about setup. Well built and all parts are available. If you have ever tried to find brake parts you will understand. Being able to easily find a replacement brake levers and other vital parts easily is worth a million. Compatability with shifters could be an issue. They work well with my x-9 but others could be a problem. If so they make a adapter to help out. Could not be happier...oh you can get all the anodized parts in Color!

Shimano low end, Avid Elixir CR

[Mar 17, 2011]
Sergei

Strength:

excellent stopping power, beautiful workmanship, reasonably lightweight, easy to bleed.

price, and can be challenging to setup.

Well if you want bling for your bike, then these are the brakes to get; they look great and work even better. Unfortunately they are far from cheap. Also I strongly recommend watching videos on hope's website on how to centralize the caliper, if you are doing the install.

Avid BB7

[Mar 14, 2011]
shorner

Strength:

Looks, ease of setup, POWER!

Absolutely a fantastic brake set. Once properly bedded, the stopping power is fantastic, even for me at 225#. I do a lot of fireroad climbing and descending, as well as singletrack, and these guys simply perform, with no fade or NOISE! Avid users will certainly appreciate this. 5 flaming plantains from this clyde--nice work Hope!

Avid BB7, Juicy