Hope Tech M4 Disc Brake System

Hope Tech M4 Disc Brake System

HopeTech M4 Disc Brake Speed is nothing without control.The HopeTech M4 provides ample power with excellent modulation all packed into a lightweight and reliable design. Ambidextrous "flip-flop" design, CNC machined from a solid billet of 2014T6 Aluminum alloy, with a spit clampTo allow easy set up and choice of position.The lever and pivot assembly offers "onThe fly" external reach and bite point adjustment dials forThe most customizable feel.To eliminate lever linkage freeplayThe pivot featur

[Sep 18, 2015]
K. Flinsenberg

Strength:

Great modulation, no fading.
Great stopping power with sintermetallic pads.
Looks!
Spare parts are available for years.

Brakes are a bit pricey, but worth every penny.
Oil leakage in mastercilinder after 2.5 years.

Very dependable brakes.
My advice though: Switch the original resin pads for Hope sintermetallic ones. Much better pads, more power and better modulation.

Would buy 'm again anytime!

Avid Elixir CR
Shimano XT 785

[May 21, 2014]
Eckstream1
Downhiller

Strength:

Adjustable reach and brake contact point, awesome modulation, flip flop lever, braided lines, top notch machining....

A little pricey... But well worth it!

I'm running these on my Nukeproof Scalp with Hope 203mm floating rotors and they don't dissapoint. The level of machining is so beautiful and are literally a work of art.
All the parts are replaceable as are the seals.
If you're looking for a new set of brakes buy these and never look back!

Zee & Saint, Juicy 3 & 7, Hayes 7 & 9, Hayes MX4 Mech

[Sep 26, 2013]
SDKmann
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Incredible stopping power and modulation, great adjustability and feel on the levers, top notch craftsmanship and looks

Absolutely nothing

I can't imagine a better brake than the Hope Tech Evo M4s. They are literally everything I could want from a brake. The modulation is great, they definitely don't have the on/off feel like Shimano brakes have but they can still lock up on command. The levers feel great and are easy to adjust as well. I put the value at 5 chilies even though they are expensive because I have not used a brake at any price point that comes close to the Hopes. Everything is made to the upmost standard of quality and just a few minutes of looking, feeling, and using these brakes proves that. The only potential downside is that I use the 203mm rotors on my 2012 Stumpjumper FSR and there is a tiny bit of rubbing, but that's not really a problem with the brake itself. I could not recommend these any higher, they're my favorite part about my bike now.

Avid Elixir 7 SLs, Shimano XTs, various Hayes models

[Oct 22, 2012]
Fleas

Strength:

Reach and bite pt. adjustments are why I bought them. Did not disappoint.
These felt like butta' from day one. ...and I cut the hoses and bled them with a syringe. Good power. Excellent feel.

Kinda pricey - I'm more used to buying BB7's.
The chunky lever was a little tricky to locate properly. Had to remove the gear display from my shifters (no biggie), and move the flip-flop clamp on the shifters as well. I did not use a Matchmaker, but everyone else I know who has these did.

They are great, but I am taking away a point for whatever pads came with them. I am told they are organic. I weigh ~185# and they overheat and fade on big hills, and especially on panic stops. It pains me to throw out the organics to use semi-metallic at almost $60 for the bunch so I am waiting until they wear out. In the mean time I am not following anybody on any long downhills.
At normal "XC" speeds they are unmatched in superior feel and power.

BB7?

[Mar 18, 2012]
grant arnold
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

build quality, looks, modulation, adjustability/set up.

these brakes work very well indeed, they feel fantastic under your finger. theres no slop in the lever before the pads touch the disc, they feel like a motorbike, exactly what i wanted, the bite point control and lever reach control means i can set them up exactly like i want, the levers are very long and you can really mount them far away from your gear shifters for one finger braking. one thing i love is the fact that the mounting surface is machined flat so that in contacts with the bike or the mounting bracket perfectly meaning excellent brake alignment to start with, then you can slide them easily left/right to get the disc in the center of the caliper because theres no paint. they are so good i just bought the rear one to match yesterday.

one thing i dont like is that the pads dont seem to bite as much as shimano. i dont know what type of pads they come with or what pads my shimano have but i get the feeling they could possible be a bit better and i have no complaints so far at all. so if they get better with the hope discs iv just purchased yesterday i will be over the moon.

the bottom line is i love them so much that i bought the rear one this week to match the front.

shimano slx, shimano deore

[Feb 27, 2012]
naton
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

-Excellent power
-Excellent modulation
-Excellent email support / online videos
-Really easy to set up as long as you know what you're doing
-Lever shape is spot on

-Lever is bulky, hard to get a good handlebar setup
-Heavier than many "equivalent" brakes

I run 180mm rotor on the front and 160mm on the back - "floating" rotors - and I also got the braided steel hose option. I weigh about 210lbs, and these are my first Hope products. I bought them because the company seems to put build quality above shaving grams. They look nice, pretty chunky, but that matches me and the rest of the bike.
These brakes do their job really well. Amazingly well. So well that you forget about them. They're the only brakes I've ever used that have that car-like dependability to them. I've chucked slick tyres on the bike a couple of times just for fun, and sometimes it feels like when I really jam on the front brake, the head-tube is about to separate from the rest of the frame. Never had fade issues, but there aren't many long descents on the trails I ride. So they're plenty powerful.
People mention price as a negative, but I feel they're comparable to other top of the line brakes out there, and the build quality on these things leads me to believe I'll have them for a long time.
The setup was really easy. Some people seem to have difficulty getting the caliper aligned due to the long pad? Perhaps their using the avid "squeeze and tighten" method. *shrug* The quality of the machining on all the mounting hardware is so good that you can really just put the calipr where it needs to be and tighten the screws. Squeeze the lever to check pad alignment, adjust if necessary. The videos on the Hope website are good in this regard.
They are heavy, so I guess weight weenies can shop elsewhere, but if there's one place on your bike where reliability should trump weight, it's the brakes. I've had a few spills and smashed the levers around a bit, not a mark on them! Heavy = tough.
The ultimate test is would I buy these brakes again. And the answer is a resounding yes. I can't imagine ever buying another brand of disc brake to be honest.

XT and XTR with Ice Tech pads, rotors, bunch of Avid stuff, Formula RX and R1.

[Feb 20, 2012]
OO7
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

1. Power - These things have AMPLE stopping power and are very capable of bringing 200lbs of rider and bike to a stop quickly.
2. Modulation - This might just be the best aspect of the brakes. They have a very linear pull and the modulation is SUPERB. I can scrub a little bit of speed coming into a corner, dump a lot before a switchback or come to a complete stop, all very easily and it is easy to avoid locking the rear and skidding out.
3. Adjustability - Between the lever reach adjustment and the bite point control, getting custom tailored lever feel is very, very easy.
4. Ease of maintenance - Bleeding these brakes is a snap and no special tools required. Same for seal replacement. Very easy to do.
5. Replacement parts - not that I've needed them yet, but in a search online, every single part on these brakes is available for purchase, as well as for many of the older models no longer in production. If something comes up, finding replacement parts will be a snap.

First and foremost, I'll just get it out of the way now . . . these things are expensive for sure. Secondly, they are definitely not the lightest things on the market either. Can also be a bit finicky to get set up as the tolerances between the retracted pads and the rotor is quite small.

Overall, these are really great brakes. They can be a pain to get set up properly, but once they are correctly dialed in they really are "set it and forget it." They are heavy, but not astronomically so and in comparison to some of the other powerful brakes out there, they aren't terrible. Good deals can be had if you shop around, but given the reliability of these things and availability of spare parts, I would be quite comfortable buying used. These brakes are an excellent choice for the All Mountain and/or aggressive trail rider. Possibly a bit overkill for an XC oriented bike but mainly just because of the added weight. The modulation would allow these brakes to work just as well in any setting. Because of the power, modulation and tuneability of the levers, I'll be using Hope's for a long time . . .

Avid Elixir 5's, various v-brakes

[Jan 30, 2012]
PHRANQUY

Strength:

Easy setup, adjustable, matchmaker clamps, pretty, single finger operation

Price

I realize that generally speaking brakes like these would be a bit overkill for my application, but because I've done some longer distance events (50+ miles, 6+ hours) I state that they seem to be a bit of a hand saver. I've faced some pretty gnarly decents with these brakes and the fact that I have never needed more than 1 finger to operate them speaks to their strengths. Although the price could be a deterant for some, one thing I've learned is if you're going to do something, do it right the first time. On that note though, I am going to look at picking up a set of the Tech X2 brakes to see how they feel and possibly drop a little weight off my bike.

Avid Juicy 3, Avid Juicy 7, various hayes products

[Aug 23, 2011]
oilyragman

Strength:

Best set of hope so far, Looks great Works well on the uk trails

Faid under extreme conditions, do need bleeding after heavy use.

Great brakes, perfect for the uk trail centers but did fade in the alps after a day of hard riding, easliy fixed after bleeding them, just a bit of faff having to do it!

All the previous hopes, Shimano Saints

[Jul 07, 2011]
Alex Burnside

Strength:

Power, modulation (I have never accidentally braked too hard) , easy to adjust, they look great, easy to bleed (This was only required because I cut the hose shorter)

Personally I did not like the stock hope pads. And they were quite expensive.

I only have one on the front as I decided to save the weight and money and go for the X2 on the back and as a front brake it is great I chose the M4 on the front because I like to try a bit of everything and the M4 is supposed to be a good all rounder, so far I have not been disappointed and I don't think I ever will be!! I don't really have anything else to say about these brakes that hasn't been said already I just wanted to add another positive review because I LOVE these brakes, along with anything made by Hope they are amazing.

Shimano, Hayes sole, Hayes nines, Grimecca