Hope Mono6ti Disc Brake System

Mono6ti

The Mono6ti has been developed to be the ultimate in braking technology. It is first bicycle disc brake to feature titanium pistons fitted into a state of the art 6 piston, one-piece caliper. Titanium, as well as being light and very durable, is one of the best materials for insulating the caliper from the heat generated in the pads and disc. The pistons are also coated with titanium nitride to reduce friction with the seals. The single design of caliper uses different brackets to fit current frames and forks. It also uses the Mini lever.

John   Downhiller [Mar 23, 2006]
Strength:

Awesome stopping power. Great modulation. No fade. These are pretty much bullet proof.

Also, their customer service rocks.

As I mentioned when reviewing the M4s, the only weakness and its not really a weakness is that they can be time consuming to set up. Once done properly, they work great and don't need any attention.

For the mechanically impatient, go get some Hayes. Otherwise, well worth the effort.

Similar Products Used: Hope M4s, Hayes HFX-9 and Mag.
Sam Samaha   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2006]
Strength:

Stopping power, and damn good looks

Price, but heck, brakes this good aren't going to be cheap.

I weigh well over 200lbs with riding gear, and I live in a very hilly area, so I wanted to spare no expense on brakes to make sure I can stop while screaming downhill incase something got in my way! Well these brakes bring new meaning to the term "stop on a dime" .. they are AMAZING. I have the M6 on the front with a 205mm disc, and the M4 on the rear with the 180mm rotor, and if I hit them hard enough, even while going down a hill at 25+ mpg, I can lock them up on asphalt! I almost threw myself off the bike doing just that, had I not let off on the brakes to get the wheels spinning again... These brakes would really rock if they could develop an equal to ABS for bikes.. cause they'll lock up if you squeeze them too hard, no matter how fast you're going!

Similar Products Used: Shimano XTR and Saint hydraulic disc, and other cable disc brakes
Mike   Weekend Warrior [Feb 09, 2006]
Strength:

Very powerful, no fade, looks.

Heavy!

I bought these pretty much as soon as they were released (Jan 04) and have ridden them all over the place including Wales and Morzine/Les Gets and they are superb. You can now pick them up for about £50 less thean I paid for them which has to be good.

The bike they were on was stolen last July and it was then that I realised just how good they were. In the mean time I have been riding Hayes Nines and Hope Mono M4s and they just dont perform as well - nothing wrong with them just not as good. I got the Bullit back late last year and cant wait till I can stick them on my VP Free.

I dont know how anyone could complain about the braking performance of these - except maybe for noise but that seems to be more related to your frame than the brakes - a properly trued and spacered frame with solid mounts makes a huge improvement - I first ran them on a Super 8 which had pretty flexy mounts and they did squeal a bit - the Bullit is fine tho.

Pads seem to last very well - I only run plain (non sintered) ones. They are as easy to bleed as any Hope brake and heaps easier than Hayes.

They may be a bit of overkill for rear brakes??? Modulation is also superb - no on/off switch like some brakes are.

Similar Products Used: Hayes HFX, Nines, Hope Minis, M4, C2s, Mono Minis, Mono M4s, Magura Julies, Claras, Formula and a cupla others.
Adam   Downhiller [Feb 08, 2006]
Strength:

Great brakes altament power and modulation. Could be to much power sometimes but not as much as gustavs.

none. The replacment parts are expensive but that is it.

get this product if you can afford it or find some great deal used. parts might be hard to find so by extra to bring on trips. make sure the guy at you local bike store knows these brakes and can work on them.

Similar Products Used: Saint brakes, Hays Mag, but none compare
Laurie   Downhiller [Feb 12, 2006]
Strength:

This brake is far more superior than anything that is out there! For a six piston brake, it is pretty light. As well, they come stock with a braided stainless steel brake line. With Hayes, that would cost you extra. These brakes look cool and are fully functional. I have never had issues with this brake throughout its duration. I have never experienced brake fade and I always have 100% braking force.

Eat up pads fairly quickly. This is a small price to pay considering you can stop on a dime! I also have a Fox 40RC2 and I needed to buy a nine inch rotor. These are really hard to come by and are on back order from Hope.

If you have the money, I suggest getting a set of them. They are worth every penny even though they are pricey.

Similar Products Used: Hayes HFX Mag HDs. These were pieces and were always problematic for me.
Nick Wolsink   Downhiller [Nov 21, 2006]
Strength:

Great stopping Power yet modulated. Thes brakes feel good and stay good!

Initial setup is quite a lot of work, when new they don't feel super yet.

These brakes are great, but do get the floating disks to go with it, these have at least 20% more power, this is not due to the "floating" but due to a larger disc surface.

Similar Products Used: Hope mono4, Hayes9, Avid Juicy5/7.
sam iveson   Downhiller [Jan 16, 2006]
Strength:

great modulation and power

takes a while to set up initially. i found that if the caliper is slightly off centre, they feel a little poo.
a little usical when wet

i had always used the old M4's up untill my last bike was stolen. i tried to get hold of a new set and i am now glad i couldnt! apart from lining up the caliper which is a mission (but at the end of the day, you only have to do it once!) i havent found a single fault with the brakes. they have a huge amount of power - which is what i want when i'm going downhill fast, but arent super grabby like a few other systems i could mention. all in all - a good brake for the money (all 160 quid of it!!)

Similar Products Used: gays hfx9's, shimano xt, hope M4's (the old/good ones!)
Cody   [Nov 03, 2006]
Strength:

modulation, power, modulation, looks, modulation, feel, control,

They do require patience to set up. Its been said over and over but take the time to do it right the first time through. Pricey

When I first got these brakes up and running and was playing around in the parking lot I was afraid I had wasted my money. They don't have the hard bite of a lot of brakes I've owned. I attributed it to break in times and thought I'd wait and see. Well, they do take a long time to break in but I think I was used to the on/off feel of inferior brakes. These things truly are the most amazing brakes I've ever used. 7 days in a row of Whistler, Sun Peaks, Silver Star riding and never got hand pump, never noticed any fade. Never wished for more power and did I mention best modulation of any brake out there. I use one finger to stop always. We aren't talking about instand lockup (its there if you really want it) braking. We are talking about smooth, effortless control in any situation. The brakes ooze confidence and oh yeah, look cool as hell. I've ridden a lot of great brakes that I would recommend in a heartbeat, but nothing reaches out and strokes me the way these do. You have to ride them to really understand what they offer.

Similar Products Used: Hayes mag, Hayes hfx hd, Hayes hfx 9 (crap), 4 piston XT's, Magura louise FR's, Saints,
Tom W   [Mar 11, 2004]
Strength:

Plenty-O-braking power and very good modulation. They may be too much brake for your average rider to handle. Perfect DH units. I like the fact that the caliper is machined from one piece of billet aluminum for minimum caliper flex and a floating rotor....just like real motorcycle race brakes!!! As soon as I saw them for the first time I knew I had to have them! Oh! And these are an open system....no reservoir cap adjustments required!

None that I have encountered....Ok they do cost a bit more than most, but in this case, you get what you pay for. Surprise! Surprise!

I think you could place a BREMBO label on these brakes and know one would even question it!!! OUTSTANDING BRAKES

Similar Products Used: I've used the HOPE Pro brakes, with the closed system, for years. Always worked well but I just got tired of constantly adjusting the reservoir cap to maintain the correct lever pull when the brakes heated up and or cooled.
Travis Allen   Downhiller [Mar 01, 2007]
Strength:

Tons of power and lots of modulation, extremley reliable.

NONE!

Absolutely easy to set up (nay sayers should stay home because getting up requires effort too.) you can rely on them day in and day out, pads make a difference in performance as with any brake. I rode a set of mags last summer and they faded at the worst possible time, i adjusted them and gave them another shot and they did the same shortly there of. So again I am back on the burliest brake on the market with total confidence.

If you bomb hills, are hard on components, ride hard or just want a peice of equiptment on the bike that you don't have to question or worry about the mono 6tis are them.

Similar Products Used: Hayes mags, nines, magura, etc...