Hope Mono M4 Disc Brake System

Mono M4

Hope Mono M4 Disc Brakes Front 203mm: Mono-Mini/M4 CNC'd split-clamp MC/lever assembly. 1-piece monoblock, 4-piston FR/AM caliper design (uses DOT 3/4/5.1 fluid) 74mm caliper with adapter (if needed), and 5mm (black) tubing with stainless fittings.

woodcutter   Downhiller [Oct 01, 2011]
Strength:

Build quality, looks, style, reputation, stopping power

slightly heavy, expensive (but worth it), original hope pads are useless.

Ok, these aren't the lightest or the cheapest brakes available on the market but they certainly aren't the heaviest or most expensive either.
Pount for pound these are the best brakes money can buy (in my opinion)
They are easy to fit, easy to maintain, easy to get spares for.
I run M4s f&r on my Whyte 46, with floating rotors and they are perfect for british trail riding. I spend most of my time at Dalby Forest or at Gisburn Forest and they have NEVER let me down, unlike other brakes.
I don't rate the hope pads at all but there are plenty of after market ones available. EBC red or gold is my weapon of choice.
The feedback these give you is perfect and you know exactly how much brake you are applying.
Spend time to set them up right (disc in centre of caliper) and they will be as good as they get. I'm confident that folks who have had bad experiences with these are just narrow minded and too lazy to set them up right. They need bleading properly too. Plenty of vids on youtube.

2 years of use and they are still unbeatable.

Similar Products Used: Avid Juicy 7, Juicy carbon, Hope Mono-6 Ti
tpberesford   Weekend Warrior [May 27, 2011]
Strength:

quality, stoping power, looks

these brakes are the nuts! they work all day long and knock the socks off all the other brakes i've had. get a mono m4 with a 180mm disk on the front and a mini with 160mm disk on the back, and for most riding(bar heavy dh) you can't go wrong.

Similar Products Used: avid elixair 5,hope mono mini, older m4,julie's,rim brakes
DHSTEVE   Weekend Warrior [Feb 05, 2010]
Strength:

powerful stopping and easy setup.

bleeding is awkward for the hoses and the brake is absolutely pointless if u actually want one to last!!!

they were too noisy for my linking. locked up when u didnt want then too. came out of line three times in a race! brakes only lasted about 4 rides. then supplier had to issue me with another set. which lasted for a few more runs. I strongly urge you not to but them.... get the avid elixir. much better. if u ride downhill then dont get it. not lasting long enough is the main problem. idf u r a cross country or gentle rider then they should be fine. just not any good for proper hard riding.

Similar Products Used: avid elixir r, juicy's, mono mini. rims
Jayem   Downhiller [Jan 03, 2010]
Strength:

Strong, good fade resistance and resistance to warping(especially with pinned "floating" rotors), simple to bleed, reliable. These use the same pads as the older shimano XT brakes as well.

Levers rattle a bit and need to be tightened from time to time, pretty rare though.

I never have problems with these. I did finally wear out a rotor (owned em since 2005 though), but otherwise they have been great and I never have to think about them. That is the sign of a great product.

Similar Products Used: Avid Code 5, Avid BB7, Avid Juicy, Hope DH4, Shimano LX, Hayes HFX, Hayes Mags, Magura Gustav...
Andyvan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2008]
Strength:

Looks pretty good, good modulation

Lacking power, rotors bend too easily, too expensive for performance.

Bought these 2nd hand about a year ago (06/07 Model - black) with (front) 200mm rotor as i found my 180mm mono mini was not powerful enough as i got better. Was just never really blown away. Had hoped to feel a dramatic difference to the minis and there wasn't.

Have since bought fibrax sintered pads - made a fairly big difference, hope floating rotors - still bend too easily and not much difference and goodridge braided hoses - more solid feel but only a little more power. After all that money I'm still not blown away and to top it of the lever feels almost sticky. Hard to explain but when you pull it quickly it feels as though there is loads of resistance. Bike shop said it may be air so had them bled - no differnce. I have cleaned an lubed pivots - no difference.

I know its not sensible but I want to know that I could lock the brake going downhill really fast with one finger. Can't even do it with 2 fingers. Bottom line - I have spent over £200 ($400) on this brake hoping it would be good as I thought it would be cheaper than buying a new brake and well it just isn't. Its alright but who wants an alright brake. Reckon its time to cut my losses and buy a formula brake. Although the new Moto M4 or whatever (silver, black caps) seems to fair better in reviews but I have just lost confidence in Hope

Just to say I'm not hope-bashing, love my clickety-clackety Pro 2 hubs and my rear mono mini with 160mm rotor is good, I can lock the wheel with one finger - its not problem free mind - bent rotor and the sintered pads, whilst powerful and lasting, need quite regular sanding as the become all smooth and useless (may be normal)

Similar Products Used: Hope mono mini, Avid Juicy 3
Alex   [May 30, 2008]
Strength:

British made! Strong calliper, strong lever, good brakeing performance, easy to bleed and sevice, pads are cheep and they look "cool"

Hoses arent very flexable...?

Old (clasic) design, brilliantly made! Change the standard hoses, set them up well and the will out perform the new hayes and avid!

Nick Errington   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2008]
Strength:

Modulation, feel, power ,looks.

Rear needed bleeding right out of the box.

So far these brakes are very, very good. I only have around 6 rides on them so we'll see how they pan out in the long run. The set up was pretty easy. Except that the rear brake had hardly any fluid at all straight out of the box. This was not a big deal as I had to shorten the rear hose anyway. Filling and bleeding the rear was a breeze. The overall quality and feel of the brake is second to none, the levers feel perfect as does modulation and stopping power. However. Do not just grab a handful of front brake when you need to stop, you will get sent over the bars if you do this. Trust me I know.

Not cheap brakes but I do feel they are good value based on the quality.

Similar Products Used: Shimano xtr
Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2007]
Strength:

Excellent stopping power,Cool Looking

These brakes are awesome!! Easy to mount and adjust.In 45 min. I was riding.Excellent modulation and stopping power.Hang on if you grab a handful of these brakes or you may go sailing over the handle bars!I am 195 lbs. and it sure is nice to have brakes you can count on.I love them.

Similar Products Used: Older Hayes
Javier   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2007]
Strength:

Modulation, lever shape, great stopping power

Front rotor was a little out of true, nothing major but wanted to mention.

This is the '07 model, after some initial setup problems, they've been working great, modulation is excellent, the lever shape is just perfect, they offer good power and you can lock the wheels if you want, but these babies strong point is modulation: they shine in technical situations where you want to slow down but want to keep the wheels going.

I give them a 4 just for the setup problems but probably was my fault as this is my first time installing hydro brakes.

Similar Products Used: First time using hydros
Javier   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2007]
Strength:

Modulation, lever shape, great stopping power

Front rotor was a little out of true, nothing major but wanted to mention.

Similar Products Used: First time using hydros