Hope Enduro 4 Disc Brake System

Hope Enduro 4 Disc Brake System

The new Enduro 4 replaces last years successful DH4. Even though the brake has been slimmed down and lost over 60g in weight it still retains its awesome braking power. The caliper features 4 pistons operating 4 separate pads and is supplied with a pro lever. The brake is an open system. The 74mm post mount (200/1 Manitou) requires a special bracket and larger disc.

System type: Open
Lever type: Pro
Caliper No.'s: 3, 5 & 8
Standard Disc: 145, 165, 185 & 205mm

[Jan 07, 2009]
salsa

Strength:

very powerfull but at the same time can be very progressive, very realiable

hard to bleed

excellent brake, best investment i made for my bike. you will not regret

hayes 9, hayes mx3

[Dec 08, 2008]
Neeek

Strength:

Eye-popping power
Great modulation
Beautifully machined

Pads rub a bit on the rotor

I bought them cheap on a whim from a bike shop in the US. Advertised as secondhand but complete and working I took a punt and $120 later they were mine. Bought some new rotors and a "hop-up" kit and I now have 4-pot 205/185 discs. And my GOD they're good.
The only thing I don't like about them is that the pads rub on the rotors slightly. It's more annoying than anything else and with my old Hope brakes (closed C2s/XC4s) you could adjust them to get rid of it; not possible on these ones but who cares when there's so much power on tap?

Hope C2s for many years, Hope XC4s, Avid cable discs and every type of V and cantilever brake you can shake a stick at.

[Jul 06, 2002]
Tony Ratcliffe

Strength:

Power and workmanship

A bit heavy and care needed with set up. I found out when bleeding apply pressure to the brake lever before releasing the nipple, shut the nipple and release the lever. This purges bubbles from the system during the bleed.

The front brake bought in 2001 was totally superb from the off but I had to hunt down the rear as everyone now has the M4. The Enduro has quite a long cable run to the rear disc and I needed a new hose, the rear was spongey at first but after some advice on bleeding the brakes are now excellent. Weighing 90+ kilo's I really love these brakes, they have power and modulation in all situations.
The rating is for the brakes and doesn't take into account the set up bother as I don't believe it is the brake manufacturers fault that this bike needs a longer hose.

Formula B4's

[Jul 05, 2002]
Kelly W

Strength:

Good Looker, built to last, and good parts availability.

It was leaking when I got them, rather weak on the first ride, coudn't even skid.

well, they were leaking when I got them, so I had to rebleed them, and made sure that the seal was properly sealed. It didn't come with the brake fluid since it was prebleed, so I had to supply my own. The lever feel was VERY mushy, but it might be because of my bad bleeding. As a consequence, I couldn't even lock the wheels. It looks beefy though, and hopefully after my next bleed and some more bedding, it'll be as powerful as all those other reviews says it was.

Hayes Mechanical discs.

[Jul 03, 2002]
wakestar

Strength:

power, modulation, excellant lever feel, look cool, mini lever is only hope lever i like, feel much better than c2's.

none so far, maybe occasional squealing that can be easily sorted.

soo good!

c2's, mechanical disks, mini's.

[Mar 17, 2002]
Adam D'Urso
Downhiller

Strength:

Spanking looks, exquisite power, perfect modulation, manic low price (£125!!!), cool name, never pump up (ever), non-american made (british engineering!!!)

one of my mates has broken the hub he bolted his to!

everything about these brakes is incredible. You could buy some Haynes for £205 over here and there not as good as the Hopes. They never pump up, they look absolutly spanking on the bike (lightning strikes on the disc rotor!!!) and will always stop you, as long as your tyre can grip the dirt. Make sure you threadloc everything, however, 'cos otherwise the sheer power can wrench the disc free. Can I give it six chillies for value?!

Magura Clara (yuk!)

[Mar 16, 2002]
Andy Downing

Strength:

Looks, power, power, power, power, looks, lever feel, modulation

Squeek like hell but worth it for the power

GET THESE BRAKES THEY LOOK THE BOLLOX, THEY STOP U LIKE U HAVE HIT A BRICK WALL. WORTH EVERY PENNY, ROB UR GRANNY FOR THE MONEY JUST BUY SOME NOW.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW 2 STOP THEM SQUEEKING I HAVE CONTACTED HOPE AND THEY TOLD ME TO CLEAN THEM WITH METHS WHICH WORKED FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES. PLEASE HELP ME AND CONTACT ME AT andysredmini@hotmail.com

[Mar 06, 2002]
Luke B

Strength:

Absolutely Awesome braking power with the 205mm front and 180mm rear combination, meaning you can ride faster and smoother then with inferior brakes.
They are very reliable once set up correctly and the modulation at the lever is great.
Quite a light weight aswell.
Excellent British Engineering.

Can take a while to set up correctly.
You have to be careful as theres so much power at hand that the brakes can lock up very easily.
sometimes thay make a bit of noise, but nothing a good clean doesnt solve.

If your looking for some of the best brakes available these are the ones, get some if youve got the spare cash.

Hope C2's, hayes

[Feb 25, 2002]
CC Li
Downhiller

Strength:

Power, Look, feel, did I say power....

No found yet

This is one powerful brake and it is made very well. Same as the XT disk - a 4 piston system, the stopping power in my opinion is more powerful. It also has a very good feel to the lever. I like it a lot. However, since its soo powerful, I am a bit afraid to "screeze" it all the way, but this is one goooood brake!

Hayes, XT disk

[Feb 21, 2002]
fred fishlock
Downhiller

Strength:

very strong. reliable. definately worth buying if you have enough money

screws attaching disc to hub came lose within a month and ripped my hub to bits!!!!!!but i didn't use loctite.

great brake system a little heavy but worth it.

HOPE MINIS