Hayes Stroker Ryde Disc Brake System

The Ryde brake platform isThe lowest priced Stroker model, but it’sanything but entry-level.The essential Stroker ingredients are allthere –The radial master cylinder,The increased fluid volume,Theergonomic lever design, andThe proven power and modulation. At aTotalsystem weight of 400g (including 6″ rotor and hardware),The Ryde packshigher performance at a lower price and weightThan all its competitors. All new radial design optimized for strength, lightweight and compactsize

Fazeless   Downhiller [Mar 13, 2017]
Strength:

- Great stopping power
- AMAZING VALUE

- Huge play in levers

These are great at stopping, but the levers are terrible. They wiggle around so much that the efficiency of the brakes will decrease. I suggest getting new levers or getting them bled every 3-6 months.

Jason   All Mountain Rider [Nov 19, 2012]
Strength:

I guess they did slow the bike down most of the time.

constant need of maintenance, need of specialty tools to maintain (what's wrong w/ hex and screws?!), lack of overall power, levers rattling when not in use, reach adjustment falls out of adjustment after 4 miles of use or so, susceptible to dirt getting in mechanism such that brakes did not return on their own... again... constant need of maintenance. It was like driving with only a parking brake. And it turned my bike into a New Years noise maker. Loudest brakes I've ever heard.

I've never had brakes that needed more TLC... and even under the best circumstances, they were inadequate in power. They came with my Cannondale Rize 4... I tried to make them work... rebuilds, bleeds, pads, alignments, both myself and mechanics, and at the end of the day, I had inadequate brakes that I was literally pushing out to disengage manually. That's when I gave up. They are in the garbage now.

Similar Products Used: Hayes CODE (powerful but heavy; no reach adjustment), Shimano XT (best so far, but I'm paranoid I'm gonna break the reach adjustment when I fall on the lever); avid mechanical (good for a mechanical disk brake)
gschwell   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2012]
Strength:

Tough, set-em and forget-em. Nice looking low-profile lever design.

Lever feel, power, play in levers.

I got the set (front and rear) for $100 , which is hard to argue with. I hated the lever feel since day one and was looking for an excuse to buy new brakes, but they just wouldn't die. I rode them for three solid years of xc riding without any need for service. No bleeding, no adjustment- they just kept working. The levers took some hits as well without damage. In spite of the durability of the brakes I really hate their feel and ergonomics. They feel like grabbing a 2x4, the lever pivot point is wrong, and the power just isn't there. I finally replace them with a set of Avid XO's and am in heaven with their buttery smooth lever feel, I just hope they'll last as well as the Hayes.

Similar Products Used: Avid bb7, juice 7, elixir 7sl, XO Trail
mjnielsen21   Cross Country Rider [Dec 18, 2011]
Strength:

Good overall functionality. Good stopping power.

Fit and finish, lever play.

These Hayes brakes are one of the few things on my bike I haven't upgraded(yet). I did upgrade the rotors to 203mm and I would say they are very sufficient to good. I haven't had any major dissappointment's as modulation is pretty consistent and they don't seem to fade even after lots of downhill. Overall, a very cost effective choice(they get 5 chili's for the value) and better than the Avid Juicy 3's. Still, the fit and finish is slightly lacking bringing the overall to a 3.

Similar Products Used: Avid Juicy 3, 5.
floater333   Downhiller [Oct 06, 2011]
Strength:

Great grabbing power! Good price. Good for one-fingered braking! You will be pleased with this brake if you choose to buy it. Most of my friends have these brakes and use them on their hardtails.

Noisy

A great hydraulic brake if you are on a budget(me) most of the people I ride with have these brakes. My other friends(they own downhills) have Avid Codes, but if you are on a budget these are the GO!

Similar Products Used: Tektro IO Mechanical
jlopez281   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 2011]
Strength:

good bite little to no adjustment

a little noisy but is expected.

these brakes are good for the price. I would recommend them for a rider on a budget(myself). I use them on single tracks all mountain riding

casrec   Downhiller [Jul 04, 2011]
Strength:

Look, Lever feel, front brake works great!

Back brake does not have the same power as the front. This might be because the longer PVC hose. Hose upgrade might help. Both brakes fade after long descents. Stock semi metallic pads chip easy and I would upgrade to good sintered pads right away.

These are decent enough brakes for a stock bike. They have done the job for about 100 miles now but they are not great and will be replaced soon. If they come with a reasonably priced bike then great, but I wouldn't just buy these brakes after market.

Similar Products Used: Juicy 3, Formula The One
tutterz   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2011]
Strength:

Came on my 09 specialized pitch, strengths?
the front brake with a 203mm is pretty awesome, really good at stopping you in your tracks

they feel wooden when applying them, crap levers, seem to need bleeding after every hard ride out, the back brake is crap. after very light use warming it up you can no longer lock the back wheel up with it, you squeeze as hard as you can and it barely slows you down, and then the lever seems to enjoy becoming slack and sits closer back to the handlebars making one finger braking impossible as the lever then squishes your middle finger and doesnt allow proper braking.

Good for a light rider who just wants to mooch about, go up a few hills, go down a few small hills, commute etc, but if your thinking of going down any trails with these i'd be super weary

Similar Products Used: Hayes mechanical
seano26   Weekend Warrior [Jun 22, 2011]
Strength:

Had good power and modulation for the first 2 or 3 weeks. Works decently when wet. Easy to change the pads.

Lost 40-50% of power after the first 2 weeks, even after being bled and changing pads, it's not the same. Lots of play in the lever. On and off power.

These brakes were great when I got them, lots of bite, power and work great in all conditions. Then 2 weeks later they began to lose the initial bite and power they had. Once they had lost about 40 or 50% of their power I brought them in to be bled and had the pads changed. Now their pretty much the same except now the front brake is on and off, so one minute it'll have plenty of power and I'll get all excited, then 2 minutes later it won't even be able to stop me on a shallow hill. Coming from Avid BB7's as my last brakes I expected an improvement, but I only got a disappointment. If your looking for a cheap hydraulic brake i do not recommend these, instead just get a good pair of mechanical's, like BB7's.

Similar Products Used: Avid BB7, Hayes MX-4
TwoHeadsBrewing   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2011]
Strength:

Cheap, effective, pad changes are easy.

Noisy, play in lever, underpowered for downhill runs.

These brakes came stock on my bike and for about 3 months they worked great. After that the front brake started making horrible squealing sounds every time the brake was applied. Oddly enough, this was not a problem with the rear. I replaced the stock V6 rotor with a V7 rotor and organic pads. They still make noise when they get hot, but other than that they are fairly quiet.

I still feel like the front is underpowered for sustained downhill runs, even with the larger V7 rotor. I suppose there is only so much you can do with that size caliper, after which heat dissipation doesn't matter.

The other problem with these brakes is the lever has developed significant wobble up and down. There is only a pin and a circlip which attaches the lever, so you cannot just tighten it up. Poor design which is obviously going to loosen up over time as people use their bikes off road.

For the money, they aren't horrible but I would recommend saving your money for a bit and buying something better.