Hayes Stroker Gram Disc Brake System

Hayes ultra-light weight brake system retains allThe stopping power of its sister-series brakes (StrokerTrail and Carbon) while shedding material and weight.All new radial design optimized for strength, light weight and compactsize. Lever stroke blends naturally and ergonomically with riders hand. Insulated caliper pistons control fluidTemperature for smooth andconsistent brake engagement. Adjustable caliper hose routing allows riderTo set ideal hose exitangle for any mounting scenario. Alumin

obs08   All Mountain Rider [Nov 20, 2014]
Strength:

Light weight, look good, comes with ti hardware already

none that i can find

purchased these on sale, $180 for front and rear. installed on giant trance 27.5 and have put a little over 300 miles on them so far. everything from bike park to local trails and these have never let me down. stopping power is great, not overly powerful but i dont think id want that anyway, ive never felt like i wish they had more power than they do. level adjustment is quick and easy with the dial. have crashed a handful of times and levers and master cylinder held up just fine. overall i am extremely pleased with these and would not hesitate to purchase them again

bitflogger   All Mountain Rider [Apr 29, 2014]
Strength:

Light, reliable, works well, didn't break the bank.

None except some might prefer mineral oil type.

No complaints here. These have served me for around 4 years, they perform well, tool-free pad change. They're not as noisy as Avids I have. The carbon levers and overall product has stood up to rough use and the elements. If they're not as grabby as others I have that's in a good way. Use is very predictable.

Similar Products Used: Older Hayes, Avid & Shimano.
Cort Cooper   [Feb 18, 2013]
Strength:

Work great. Modulation is smooth and steady. Stop quickly

The master cylinder sticks out well away from the handlebars so the unit could easily get banged in a crash.

My first experience with hydraulic brakes were some mid-range Avid Juicy hydraulic brakes that were plagued by sticking pistons. The Hayes have been trouble free.

chestercospinner   Weekend Warrior [May 12, 2012]
Strength:

great all around brake really tight. easy to bleed with pro bleed kit. good stuff al in super light package!

none really after 6 mo of use.

bought these from treefortbikes.com very helpful in my process to select brakes. the pro bleeder kit was worth the $30 invest, makes the job super easy. buy these brakes.

Helmetless   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2011]
Strength:

Great value. Really reliable, solid carbon levers, bulletproof body, great stopping power, excellent performance, and even though is lightweight!

A bit on the on/off side if you like the levers pretty much away from the bar. I've had a couple of "turnovers" due to that but I have fixed it by adjusting the levers a bit closer to the handlebar.

The best hydraulic brake I have had so far. Really got to say thanks for these.

I would totally recommend these for Trail/AM riding. Great power and light enough for me.

Similar Products Used: Hayes Stroker Ryde, Avid Juicy Carbon, Avid BB7, BB5, Tektro IO
scotawful   Weekend Warrior [Feb 02, 2011]
Strength:

Lightweight. True to claimed weight on website (I measure everything because I'm an insufferable weight weenie). Good bite and modulation. Levers feel very good in hands, and contact point has very good feel. Great all around brake.

Looses some feel and bite under heavy use, but to be expected for smaller to mid-size rotors that I use.

If you can get one of the smoking deals out there on these brakes, they are totaly worth it (Chain Reaction or Price Point). Otherwise, a little on the pricey side IMO. Probably not up to snuff for more DH oriented riders, but great for XC and AM riding. Would definitely recommend.

Similar Products Used: Juicy 7, Elixir.
mjj29er   Cross Country Rider [Oct 30, 2010]
Strength:

Solid, consistant feel. Easy to adjust, bleed, shorten the lines and change pads. Quiet. I don't get any rubbing like I did on my Elixer CR Mags until I threw them in the garbage. Work awesome with XTR centerlock rotors but you have to trim off the tab on the inner pad.

At first I would have said levers could be longer for twist shifters, but I wouldn't change them now that I have lots of time on them. After extreme use the pistons seem to get a "memory", essentially they travel in one area repeatedly and when new pads are installed you may have to clean/lube the pistons to gain smooth, full range again. Pistons/o rings are cheap and easy to replace. I've done mine annually, under $10 a wheel and 15 minutes.

If you haven't the time or ability to do some trouble shooting, stick with mechanical disc brakes. If you want hydraulic, Hayes builds a reliable brake and the new Prime's will offer new adjustments.

Similar Products Used: Juicy's, Elixer CR Mag's, Stroker Trail's, Formula R1's, Shimano XT/XTR, many older Hayes from the late 90's.
ajriding   Racer [Sep 05, 2010]
Strength:

strong
quick engagement
lever reach adjustment
don't have to take off grips to install
light

need longer levers to use with gripshift
but I guess that applies to all brands....

Great brakes, comes with ti hardware, pre-bled, easy to use.
The brakes always work. I have another pair of Stroker brakes, a few models down, but the same castings and hardware. They feel different, maybe I let air in the ti ones when I cut the lines shorter.
These have a little modulation, like what most riders seem to want, but I like the other brakes that have that on/off feel. I think if I re-bleed them I can get that.
They brakes can squeel after a long descent, but will stop after a few more miles of riding. They always work, squeel or not.
I run metallic pads and have gotten these brakes so hot that I could smell burning, but the power fade was very minimal and might not have been noticed had I not been using super light rotors.
(this was on a super steep trail that dropped 700 feet in a short distance with lots of need-to-stop turns)
I am very happy with the brakes. They are solid, reliable and have not given me any trouble.

Similar Products Used: XTR, Avid
BurnNotice   Weekend Warrior [Aug 22, 2010]
Strength:

Easy to install; pre-bled; lightweight; adjustable levers

Master cylinder position as installed and relates to horizon

I bought these on closeout and fact they were 2008 model brakes for a new build. Never built up a mtb but have plenty of roadies. I was nervous and a little hesitant since hydraulic brakes are finicky. But they were a breeze to install. The ride review and using them were very rewarding. They are very responsive and work like I want a brake to work. They have great modulation and stay lined up even after a rough ride. They are 6" version rotors and I may go with a 7" front rotor for better braking and less heat buildup on the downhills. But as far as the Gram system and fact I got a sweeeeet deal on front and rear to the tune of $220 total, I can't complain. No brake squeal or leaks in the system! I like them and the bottom line or recommendation is try them, they work!