Hayes Prime Expert Disc Brake System

Hayes Prime Expert Disc Brake System

It’s here. And it’sThe first of its kind. PRIME hydraulic disc brakesfeature industry-firstTechnologies and offer more powerand a better ride. PRIME’sTool-free reach and contact adjustment,improved brakingTorque and feel and outstanding ergonomics are just afew of its many attributes. Plus, its ground-breaking, high-flowreservoir venting system has never been seen before.Tool free stroke adjustmentTitaon lever bushings Post mount caliper Includes lever, caliper, hose and fittin

[Apr 07, 2015]
gt2brew
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Power, feel, Customer Support

I have these brakes on 2 bikes for a few years now and absolutely love them. After using the first set for over a year, I had some lever fade and inquired with Hayes Tech assistance for any ideas. Much to my surprise, they took care of the issue for me at no charge.....these guys were totally awesome.
So I bought a second set for my Turner RFX with 7" rotors (I'm a Clyde and need the extra umph) and have used these for 2 years trouble free aside from pad changes. They have been used for XC, AM, and DH and have never let me down. Now I have a Fatbike with Sram DB1 brakes and they totally suck.....need Primes for sure.

Avid Hope

[Mar 21, 2013]
cman8
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Easy to set up. Powerful, Tool less reach adjust, Pad adjustment on the fly. Look good. Feel Good

These things are great. If you get the new ones with the Cross Hair Technologie, they are seriously the easiest brake to set up. No rotor rub in like 2 minutes. Set up perfect everytime. These things also have great power and mudulation. Have stopped me on a dime every time. I got the floating rotors but any people with some fox forks watch out as the front rotor rubs on the post mount. That was easily fixed (Sanded down a fraction of a MM). Overall If you have arte looking for good brakes get these. I run Formula RX's on my Nomad and they are pretty comparable. The Formulas have a bit more power but other than that they feel the same.

Formula Rx's, Magura Marta's, Avid Elixir 5

[Feb 09, 2013]
Konstantin

Strength:

Extremely braking power, great modulation, awesome design

painted graphics, huge weight, when rainy it squeal like a sick pig, toxic brake fluid

Very good bicycle brakes for aggressive cross-country, all mountain and moderate downhill. Awesome working below zero temperature (I tested it at -25 Centigrade).

Tektro Auriga Pro, Avid Elixir Seven, Avid Code R

[Apr 16, 2012]
schlockinz

Strength:

Easy to adjust. Great power. Even better modulation. Lever feels amazing

I live in a town of Hayes haters...

Got these brakes about 6 months ago and wanted to get some good ride time before I wrote a review. They've got plenty of stopping power with the best modulation of any break that I've ridden before. The tool free adjustment is nice, especially in shoulder season when your glove thickness can be changing frequently, or for the days when you switch from needing more raw stopping power to a more finessed stop.

[Jun 21, 2011]
Gomite

Strength:

-Tool Free Lever Reach and Dead Stroke (distance for the pads to engage to disc) adjustments on the fly!
-Acceptable Weight
-Great Looks!
-Superb Modulation
- Lever Reach and Dead Stroke adjustments can be made indpendently without losing any stopping power
-Easy installation
-PRICE!

-Painted graphics on caliper
-Rotors sold separately

I was blown away by these breaks going down hill on a highly technical track. The Dead Stroke adjustment is this brake's best feature, and like the lever reach, it is fully adjustable on the fly to suit trail conditions and/or user preference. This is great all around break for DH, Free ride or XC! These breaks allow you to adjust the "first bite" distance from the pads to the disc independently of the lever reach distance. So you get the same braking power on each stroke whether you have the lever set at its farthest distance or the closest position to the bar. I am using these brakes on 6 inch rotors. I rode for nearly three hours under near constant braking conditions and these brakes never faded or ever overheated. I was able to ease into gradual downhill curves by applying soft pressure to the lever. I could easily achieve max clamp pressure in an instant too! One or two finger braking is easily achieved on these brakes. I felt very confident that I could wait until the very last second to brake going into a turn so I wouldn't lose too much momentum coming out of a turn as it headed back uphill. I would buy these breaks several times over! Good work Hayes!

- Hayes El Camino