Hayes MX2 mechanical Disc Brake System

-Mid-range Compact Mechanical
-Forged mono-block caliper
-Forged lever arm
-Progressive Friction material for modulation
-Compatible with all linear pull levers
-5mm allen key inner pad adjustment
-Compatbible with all Hayes brackets

[May 25, 2011]
David C
Downhiller

Strength:

Braking power very high, low cost, look solid (metal)

Weak adjustments, make noise if disk not perfectly aligned/straight, hard to clean and remove the pads.

Well if you are looking to buy a mechanical caliper, only thing you should expect from this one is to lock the wheel whenever you wish... Otherwise, adjustments are a pain in the ass even worst if your disc isn't straight... Make noise when wet (even after a moist ride at the mountain)... I got it stock on my bike, so I will stick with it, as I start downhill a year ago, but definitely looking for Avid BB7 MTB for better adjustments... But it still got some damn good modulation, even in the worst wet muddy conditions... If you can fing one for sale at under $20, it will do the job good.

Well I have the IH2 version, which is the same as the MX2, but IH is for Iron Horse, so IH2 and MX2 are the same...

[Oct 15, 2009]
X_er

Strength:

Easy to dial in and service. NO BLEEDING of a hydro. Awesome power. Nice modulation similar to a good hydro. Excellent for all mountain and x-country . . . my type of riding. These are far better than the Juicy hydros I had.

Some squealing/noise after hard use due to heat. But after cooling, noise goes away . . . until the next long/fast decent.

I would highly recommend these brakes . . . for their all-mountain and x-country performance to any body. Their value and performance can't be beat!! Go buy a set and get rid of those hydros.

Juicy 7

[Aug 29, 2009]
Ecogeek

Strength:

V powerful. All nec adjustments - except modulation. No bleed-kits/bleeding required. No bleed caps to lose. No bleed-screws to leak. Light relative to moving hydraulic fluid up the hill. Post mount but came w 51mm IS adapter, so will fit a lot of forks.

Too powerful, too fast. In other words, almost zero modulation with clean discs/pads. Even when worn in for some time. If you come from something with more modulation, the MX2s will scare you at least once - if they don't kill you first time you pull the front brake.

Extreme power for mech discs. As mentioned above, these are on my Mrs' bike. However, I've just spent a long time messing with them and testing every aspect of their set-up and performance, so I thought I'd spread the love.
These are more powerful than my Hayes HFX-9 hydraulics. HOWEVER, they have no modulation by comparison. The MX2s are almost binary in their action. As soon as you touch them, they are ON! I nearly sent myself over the bars immediately testing them at about 5mph outside the front door! Obviously, you'd get used to this to some extent and develop finer control, however, it's EASIER to finely control the hydros with their superior modulation. Don't get me wrong, these MX2s are great brakes and fully deserve their rating, but there is more to the picture when you look a little closer.
Bottom line. Great for XC - or commuting. Super stopping power. No need for bigger discs, they'll lock any tire instantly on any terrain. But therein lies the problem. These are potentially DANGEROUS if coming straight from hydraulic discs due to lack of modulation. One serious danger in biking is locking the front wheel whilst it's off the ground and landing on a stopped wheel. These will do it. So, not ideal for jumping, freeride, downhill etc imo.
I'm going to switch her discs to lightweights with less contact area to see if modulation improves. If not, I could deliberately decentre the disc so one pad hits it first, and if that doesn't work, I suppose I could deliberately contaminate a pad with a TINY amount of high-temp grease to increase modulation. May try that on an *old set* of pads when they near the end of their life. Will be throwing them anyway. Can clean discs with isopropyl alcohol. Oh, for those with a squeak problem, the solution is simple. There is such a thing as "Brake Lube" - for automotive use. The name is misleading. You do NOT put it on the pads/discs. It goes *behind* (on back of) the pad at contact points - where piston touches it etc. Will solve the squeaking problem. Don't get any on your pad/disc. If you do, immediately clean v thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol.

Hayes 9 XC Hydraulic.

[Jul 16, 2009]
djkyguy

Strength:

this break has agood feel. it stops you when you need it. it was very easy to adjust so there was no noise. seems reliable and heavy duity compaired to wimpy hyd.

has some sqeaks but nothing terrible. washed my bike and rode around with wet roder and no scream like some say. if it does squeal i wil hold the break on for a bit and let it heat up then it will be silent.

its awesome. is very nice for minor braking while doing wheelies and tkaes a beating. knok on wood....

[Jun 08, 2009]
Clinton06

Strength:

Super Strong for non-hydro brakes. An amzing amount of control. Quality of this product is unmatched.

None I can tell,but are not avalible in Bright Yellow =[

I have had these brakes on my '05 for 4 years now and they have never ONCE been less than perfect. Oustanding power, even for a 2 finger pull. I have only had to replace the break pads because I downhill on these(upgraded to an 8in). If your looking to buy, I would recommend these to anyone. Even under extreme punishent, there isint too much fade. These are even better than some lower-to-mid level hydro brakes. I would buy these, and only these, if I was looking to move to disk brakes. This rating is before I switched to 200mm rotors(but 200s kick ass!) Get the wave Rotors. They stop better.

Avid BB7, avid BB5

[Dec 21, 2008]
TrailX316

Awesome mech brake, probably the best mech brake. Never tried BB7 so not sure yet. This is an insane mech disc, soo much stopping power and dam does it ever look sick.

I recommend this if you like mech over hydro discs

[Oct 02, 2005]
Ben

Strength:

Then don't make any noises.

Extremely poor braking performance.

These are my first mechanical brakes and came with the bike. I was happy that I was getting a "cool" pair of disc brakes with my bike. However, after nearly a year, I think I could stop better if I put my feet on the ground! At first, the shop told me they needed to be broken in. After 200 miles, the brakes were performing the same as when I first bought the bike. I took the bike back into the shop to have them checked out. The mechanic removed the brake pads, cleaned them, and checked everything...unfortunately they worked no better afterwards. The people at the shop basically told me this was an entry level disc setup and I can't expect much out of them. However, they were very shocked at how badly these bring you to a stop. Luckily, I live in Florida where there are not many hills, so it's not imperative that I have good performing brakes.

I'm scraping these and upgrading my set this week before I take a trip to Western NC. I'd be afraid to have these brakes on my bike in the mountains.

I wouldn't waste my money buying these. I'd take V-brakes any day before I put these on my bike. I'd fully expect to go to Walmart and see these same brakes on a $200 Huffy or equivalent.

[Apr 12, 2006]
Peter Gibbons

Strength:

They're dirt cheep for a decent system, a snap to set up, stopping power isn't half bad, cheep, low maintenance, great modulation, cheep, flashy (the V6 rotors they came with are sweet looking but nevertheless are superbly functional), mechanical- you don't have to hassle with tedius hydraulic lines and all the crap that can come with them, etc.

Rule of thumb- you get what you pay for, and that, to some extent, applies here- for 50 bucks apiece, you're not going to get some insanely good system. Other than that, none.

For what I paid for these, I'm not expecting anything superb, so since I wasn't anticipating top-quality performace, I experienced no let downs. Considering the price and all, these are excelent brakes. The stopping power is sufficient for my needs, and they have tons of modulation, something I really like about them. If you can't afford to buy Avid BB7's or BB5's, go with these babies. Low hassle, low maintinence, very user- friendly, cheep, good power, great modulation, good looking,- come on, what more could you want?

first disc brake system

[Aug 10, 2007]
Sheldon Robertson

Strength:

Work Great, and after you learn to adjust them they are easy to set up.

None really. except maybe you have to tune them often depending on how hard you ride if that counts

They are awesome brakes for someone without i very large budget and look pretty cool too!

mx-1's

[Aug 01, 2007]
Nick Lawrence

Strength:

Easy adjustment, sturdy, lots of power when needed, minimal fade when setup right

Pads are really soft when they warm up, I had my cable get stuck in between the rotor and the pad one time and now there's a big groove in the retaining pad

Absolutely great for street/trails/light downhill....i have no worries of failure with these babies.

v brakes