Hayes MX1 mechanical Disc Brake System

MX1 mechanical

-Fluidless system uses standard leverm cable and housing
-Adjester barrel for "tool free" easy pad adjustment
-Complete ball bearig system features all rolling elemetns
-Mounting bracket systyem for easy setup and adjustment
-HML Lever sold Separately

james mcfarlane   Downhiller [Aug 07, 2007]
Strength:

look good

need alot of maintenace and mine rusted and seized up so now i have 2 get new 1's

there not worth what i paid for them

Similar Products Used: avid 3's, hayes hydrolic
John   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2006]
Strength:

Power, modulation (not quite as good as better hydro's-but surprisingly close). If you're not getting power from these- your set-up is bad or pad/rotors are contaminated with oil/grease (happens ALOT).

Adjustments could be easier. (They are on the new Hayes mechanicals)

Working great for almost 2 years. Still some life left on the original pads. Lots of riders look down on mechanical discs, but the best ones (these and Avid BB7's) in combo with good levers/cables are very close to hydro's in performance. IMHO- easier to set-up and maintain. I've seen more than one hydro user all PO'ed 'cause they got air in their line somewhere & couldn't stop as well. Also seen a brake line leak after a crash.

Similar Products Used: Avids
Lukas P   Cross Country Rider [Sep 22, 2005]
Strength:

The first months with my hayes were really convincing. I had never had such good braking grip before. I could easily force my bike up to a front wheelie by using my front brake with two fingers. I had to adjust my brakes about every two weeks to maintain a great gripping performance.

But after some months the performance slowly seemed to decrease. I replaced my gripping pads after one year. Wich at first seemed to put the performance on a higher level again, but I soon realized that I had not the same perfomance as I used to have. Accually I did not buy the originals from hayes, but the ones from FIBRAX, wich my bycicle repair man said would be in fact not different from the originals... but the distance I had to pull my brakes between making the pads touch the brakeing surface and acctually getting brakeing performace was just too big.
From then on I had to adjust my brakes all the time. I could not ride two times and have the same braking behavier. And so I could not really improve my braking skills much.
Now another year later my front brake broke! It was the piece that should give further the momentum initialliezed by the pull of the brakeing wire.

Maybe the brakes are strong enough for usual cross country riders. But they are obviously not strong enough for downhill riders or others who like to get out the max of their brakes. Eventhough they seem great at the beginning, after a while their performance drops much.

Jason Jackett   Downhiller [Feb 09, 2006]
Strength:

Works good when new. Worked great for about a month. It's black.

Very weak. The bolts and inserts strip very easily. I snapped my front caliper in half, I have no idea how that happened. I've never crashed. Doesn't last long. Weak design.

These calipers came with my bike. I wouldn't recommend them at all. Avid Bb7 or bb5's are much better. Mx1's aren't even easy to adjust. Hayes needs to redo their mechanical disc brake line.

My pads wore out extremely quickly. After a month and a half, they were shot.

Would strong discourage anyone from buying them.

Similar Products Used: Hayes Mx2's.
Avi Hefets   Weekend Warrior [Dec 05, 2006]
Strength:

Light weight, simple structure, easy maintenance, easy to replace pads. great stopping power at the 8" rotor setup

Tuning is frequently needed - more than I expected. I had some minor quality issues. OEM pads are thin and tend to last quite fast - after 8 months I replaced the rear pads

The MX-1 are simple and that's their main advantage. maintenance and tuning is very easy.
stopping power is great.
fair brakes with fair overall fair performance.

craze   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2006]
Strength:

Strong stopping power. Simple two point adjustment (knob and cable).

Adjustment knob is not in the best of places (you have to go through the spokes).

Fine stopping power. Adjustment knob did stick, but all you have to do is remove the center cover on the knob to reveal an allen key slot. Then stick a long enough allen key through the spokes to adjust. This is another set of mech discs I own that people complain is hard to adjust and maintain, which is in fact not true. People can go online to complain, but can't go online to get the instructions.

Similar Products Used: Promax dsk-400, Tecktro and Promax V brakes.
Dalton Hall   Weekend Warrior [Aug 10, 2006]
Strength:

they stop one a dime makes endos easy

none yet

good brake good name brand

Similar Products Used: avid bb7
Ryan   Racer [Jun 28, 2006]
Strength:

Not affected by weather, pads last a long time.

Tricky to adjust, pads will often squeal, poor modulation, adjustment knob seized twice on my rear brake, heavy, return spring is too strong causing hand fatigue.

Well, i can't say these brakes are terrible, because they are not, but i can't say that i was extremely happy with them either. Complaints are listed above. I will elaborate on the adjustment knob failure. It happend once. I could not turn the inboard pad adjustment knob. It was warrantied. But, it happened again. Tried to turn the knob. Eventually it just stripped, and turned, while not moving the pad. Without the knob, adjustment on rear brake was limited, and pads needed to be replaced prematurely. Adjustment is very important. With the front, i would start becoming unhappy, but with adjustment, they would feel much better. The closest competition for these brakes is the Avid BB7. The avid is a far supirior product. Quieter, more power, adjustable spring tension, adjustable inboard and outboard pad postion, better lever feel. I simply cannot reccomend the HMX-1 when a similar product outperforms it by such a large margin.

Similar Products Used: HFX9HD, Avid BB7, HMX2, Shimano XT, Tektro disc, Promax Disc.
Harry   Downhiller [Jun 21, 2006]
Strength:

These have been great for me and I have riden some tough terrain. The Pads are still the same one's from when I purchased them, but I adjust them after every ride. They still stop on a dime!!!

Rotor rubs pad on the front after adjusting but it goes away after a few minutes. They do heat up when really beating on them but this is true for all disk brakes.

This brakeset is definitely worth the money. They can take a beating without a doubt, but make sure to adjust them regularly so as not to warp the disk(same with the Avid BB7). I guess it's one downfall of mechanical brakes but it isn't an issue with me since I take care of my stuff. These are just as easy to adjust as the BB7's also, so don't listen to the nay sayers!!! Ride On!!!