Grimeca System 8-4 piston Disc Brake System

System 8-4 piston

Full Hydraulic: Four-piston caliper offers superior modulation and braking power. Includes Inox stainless steel hydraulic brake hose and an alloy lever with reservoir. Complete system comes fully bled and ready to ride. Supplied with 160mm rotors front and rear. 292 grams for a front caliper, lever and housing.

Max Werner   Downhiller [Jul 22, 2016]
Strength:

Powerful, nice modulation, awesome looking when calipers are red painted (Like brembo brakes in a Ferrari or Lambo)
Never failed me so far.

A bit tricky to find the right adapters for 203 mm rotors. Needed to modify one with a dremel, otherwise the rotor will rub with the caliper body.
Spares hard to find (now in 2016). Yes I'm an old school fan and collector.

The brakes in fact are XSIV DB 12, which are re-branded grimeca system 8/12. Got them as gift from another collector friend. Once mounted on my urban freeride hardtail bike, feat. Shiver SC fork they took couple hours to push the air bubbles all the way up till the reservoirs by just pumping the levers. Once the air got pumped out, and reservoirs re-filled the brakes showed their real face. Amazingly powerful, nice modulation, and this looking you see on red calipers like on the brembo brakes on the wheels of Lambo and Ferrari supercars. They turn heads.
A very particullar component on my very particullar retro bike for Urban Freeride.

Similar Products Used: Formula Evoluzione, Formula XtremE, Shimano Saint (1st gen) Hayes Mag
Marcu Bogdan   Downhiller [Jul 19, 2003]
Strength:

Very good brake power, good design .

The air bleeding screw broke , cable leek, and the lever eventualy broke .

It is a good brake when it works ... the problem is that they broke very easyly ... the bleeding screw is a nighmare, i`ve seen about 3 brakes from grimeca with the same problem. Buy anything else if you plan to use it for longer than 1 month.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore Hydraulic 2 piston
pete   Downhiller [Aug 19, 2003]
Strength:

pre blead, damn easy to mount, cheap pads

small amount of rubbing, a frend of mine with the same brake found that the extender for a 200mm bracket placed the caliper to close to the rotor, short cable if i had bigger forx it wouldnt fit

good brake in action and disapates heat real well but coming from v's OH MY GOD YES

Similar Products Used: hope m4
jubjub   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

cheap to buy, look good.

No power, hard to find & very expensive parts, leaks, flimsy......all bad really.

If someone offers you these, just walk away. Parts backup is non existent in Aust- I finally gave up when the flimsy bleeder screw snapped in the caliper body. Owning and maintaining these brakes are like a migrane which never ceases.

Similar Products Used: Hayes, Hope, magura
Pablo   Cross Country Rider [Jun 02, 2003]
Strength:

Once problems were resolved (see below) the brakes seem to work well.
Comfortable levers and modulation feel.
Brake pad replacement is easy, and once the calipers are lined up, no brake adjustment has been needed.

Initially there were many. Brakes came on my bike, and the brake fluid was leaking from the levers, causing the paint to peel off.
Additionally, the rear caliper was slightly leaking fluid from the bleed screw.
I sent the brakes back to the distributor (Vuelta) and the levers were replaced with newer versions which have not leaked or caused me any problems. (yet?)
However it took an email to the manufacturer (in Italy) to get the distributor to replace the rear caliper. (this took time and caused frustration).
To be honest, I'm not sure how much better they are, or are not, from V-brakes, since I went from an old bike with cantelever brakes to these disk brakes. (never really rode much on V's).
That said, if they aren't any better than V-brakes, probably don't need the extra weight, and potential headache.

While disk brakes look pretty sexy, I spent a lot of time dealing with the distributor/manufacturer trying to get the brakes to a satisfactory level.
Since getting the brake issues resolved, I have not had any problems to speak of and have been satisfied. (I hope it stays that way)

Dennis Semik   Downhiller [Sep 18, 2007]
Strength:

Brake point and power with little finger power

does not fit very well with SRAM trigger (older version, I have 3 of these), IS2000 (instead of PM), fade a little on long runs

These brakes work just great. Two of them are with 160mm discs and one with a 180mm. Bleeding is not a hole lot of fun, but that applies to all hydrolic brakes. As written bellow, when using the torque recommendations there is no problem with them breaking. The bleed skrew does not have to be very tight! I use them with Kool Stop pads and they never failed. Just fade a bit on longer runs.

Similar Products Used: Hayes HFX 9, Magura Luise, Magura Julie
CrazyFred   Racer [May 29, 2003]
Strength:

These brakes are crazy cool because they look crazy and they stop crazy and they modulate crazy and they are well........crazy

I will admit they are crazy weak. I do not believe they are the same as shimano XT because they use different fluid (crazy) and anyone who is even a little detail oriented can look at both brakes and determine that there are several subtle differences in the casting. I may be wrong, but I challenge anyone to provide EVIDENCE beyond a casual observation.

I'm upgrading to crazy XTR because these stoppers are crazy heavy. They leaked crazy DOT3 brake fluid and the paint was stripped off the levers (crazy uncool). I you ride crazy fast and NEVER crash than these brakes are for you because they performed crazy awesome super. But, beware because if you crash your brakes will be crazy broken. Three crazy doodies

Similar Products Used: Magura Clara (crazy unreliable)
Rick P   Weekend Warrior [May 23, 2003]
Strength:

Stoping power is there on tough technical decents and just about any where else.

Not sure yet.

You know I really can't say if they are the best or not. All I know is that they came with the bike after not wanting them on the bike cause all I really wanted was LX V brakes. It so happened that they sold me the bike with them on it and I haven't had a complaint yet. I have a Cannondale hard tail with LX V brakes on them from 96 and they stop me just the same in any conditions. The difference is the feel and that they are newer. I love them and hopefully they love me. They look great and you know I wouldn't have it any other way!.....Ride Hard Or Go Home, No Babies Aloud!...I gave it 4 Chilis cause I really haven't tried enough to give it a full 5 all around!, Now Go RIDE like HELL!

Alex Wing   Downhiller [May 19, 2003]
Strength:

cheap, easy to bleed

everything. I've had 4 of these brakes, plus my friends have had them.ive gone through 2 levers, one cable and a rotor, all over lame-ass crashes

These brakes are cheap crap. they can't handle crashes, dont even work when they arent broken, and have no accesories if you do break them. don't waste your $$$ and buy anything else but grimeca

Similar Products Used: hayes, avid mech.
Keith   Downhiller [Jul 02, 2002]
Strength:

Lever comfort
lever adjustment
ease of bleeding, with no special tools
powerful
no lever "pump up"
easy pad replacement
modulation, modulation

bleeding when bike is overturned
cir-clip for pad retaining clip

Awesome brakes! Used them for three years and only a few bleed problems. Read the reviews below and had no problems or part failures. Rather than complaining about the lack of power, I bled them and cleaned them with isoprapanol alcohol. When downhilling, I use only one finger for braking in all conditions. The levers are in the position you want them, even when they heat up.(unlike the Hayes) I have smashed into many trees, had plenty of crashes and am using the original levers. Never use the shimano pads in these, try the EBC red compound. Fast wearing, but even faster stopping. Stock Grimeca pads are good as well. The true test, I would purchase them again.