Grimeca System 7 Disc Brake System

Mechanical: This is a mechanical caliper with a centering adjuster operated by a standard brake lever. Supplied with 160mm front and rear rotors. Caliper weight 254 grams.

Who do ya think?   [Nov 10, 2001]
Strength:

Good modulation, easy to set up and maintain, good in wet and muddy conditions.

Not as good as my v-brake avids.

All round good stopper but not brilliant.

Similar Products Used: Shimano deore LX V, Avid arch rivals
Toby   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2003]
Strength:

Simple to set up and maintain. They don't fade much.

Can't be used on 74mm Manitou forks.

Unbeatable for the price. Work really well on the rear with 140mm disk. I am going to have to get a different brake for the front as the other Grimeca I bought wont fit (make me an offer). I will be a able to compare then. On the whole I am really happy with these.

Similar Products Used: None
paul jacob   Downhiller [May 28, 2001]
Strength:

great for skidding

cheap effective impressable brakes might be able to stop adele they are so effective and efficient that i have never had to sevice them ,they have always been working perfect since i have bought my saracen havoc you should seriously consider buying these if you are a abouser to your bike and equipment.

Similar Products Used: v brake ,hope,hayes
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2001]
Strength:

Once set up, they are eyeball-poppingly effective, and are no hassle in the wet, compared to my old LX V-brakes. Despite rumours, pads are easy to get hold of.

Product came with Bike, so the manual was on the internet, which takes a year to download. Setup took a while, but once I'd worked them out, I was happy.
Levers are cheap, so bought some Deore ones instead. Disc attatches to hub via 5 bolts, which may raise compatibility issues.

Came with bike, so I don't know how much they're worth, but in comparison to my old brakes, they're excellent, especially in the mud. Very sensitive, with plenty of modulation. Give reassuring feel at tricky moments. Now I know how to set them up, they're a doddle!

Similar Products Used: LX V brakes.
Mike   Downhiller [Feb 01, 2001]
Strength:

simple, easy to set up.. very very effective

none really

excellent brakes.. I have no complaints at all..

Similar Products Used: Avid
T Mack   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2005]
Strength:

They work, better than most V-brakes, not too heavy, and cheeeap

hard to find pads for, but might as well buy a whole new caliper for the price.

Used them on my hardtail for a while before getting my FS. Got avids and like them better, if nothing else just because I wore one pad out to the metal, couldnt find replacements. Did have an issue with the pad adjustment scews re-adjusting themselves, drop of blue loctite fixed that. Avids are easier to adjust tho, with the big red dials on both sides (little black plastic adjuster on these also liked to turn itself). One thing I did like was that the external adjuster thingy moved the whole caliper, and the caliper kinda "floats" where the avids are fixed to the frame and you have to adjust the pads individually.

Similar Products Used: Avid BB's
len moses   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2002]
Strength:

value-thats 100.00 front and rear new on ebay.
after break in period they work excellent.
easy to adjust. i can't imagine avids mech. being any better.

a little noisy untill broken in. so what

i paid a c note for pair brand new so i'm giving 5 flaming turds. had i paid the 200.+ list i would expect slightly more stopping power.i'm hopping getting replacement parts won't be a problem. but over-all i'm very pleased with the perfomance of these brakes.

Similar Products Used: magnura disc. xtr rim.
Pritch   Weekend Warrior [Jun 17, 2002]
Strength:

Strong, simple, durable.

Not brilliant stopping power, weight

As I work for a certain famous bike retailer I got this bike at a very reasonable price when I was looking for a bargain freerider, but accepted that the component mix didn't do the frame package justice.

I've changed just about everything except the cranks and these brakes.

I probably would not buy them seperately, but with this bike they have performed excellently. For most recreational riders they will be more than enough. Need a bit of careful bedding in. Good strong cable housing.

Not the performance of my Avid Mechanical disk on my Marin and a lot heavier- these disks are too beefy for a lightweight XC machine.

On the whole, great value for money.