Formula The One Disc Brake System

The One

Ready for duty on World Cup DH rigs or keeping speed in check at the next Downieville Super D, the Formula The One Disc Brake offers maximum versatility and power in an ultralight package package that's hard to believe. The secret ingredient of The One Disc Brake is a one-piece (The One, get it) caliper with two 24mm opposing pistons. That's almost an inch per piston. The big pistons mean huge stopping power. In fact, they represent a 19% increase in surface area over the Formula R1 brakes. Big power doesn't mean heavy. The One still only weighs 336 gramsAAArivaling most XC brakes.The added braking power is great for bigger or more aggressive riders, and legendary Formula modulation means constant traction and control. The pistons themselves are made of a heat-dissipating composite material and are cupped to provide even more fluid to regulate heat. The one-piece design is stiffer because there are no bolted-together parts to flex along the seam line when you grab a finger-full of lever. The caliper provides good ventilation on both the bottom and top for the pistons and pads to vent heat. The top vent also helps make pad changes easy, even with the wheel still in the bike.Moving upward, The One uses a standard woven polyester hose that is super light, but still prevents hose expansion from heat. This keeps the brakes feeling stiff, even as the caliper heats up on big descents. Formula uses DOT 4 brake fluid because of its resistance to thermal expansion, gas absorption, and the quality control inherent with DOT-approved products, no matter what brand or where you get it.The hose attaches directly to the new Feeling Control System for quick and easy adjustments of lever stroke and to compensate for pad wear. A forged aluminum, radial master cylinder offers excellent power transfer due to incredible stiffness, and strength.

hinds57   All Mountain Rider [Apr 06, 2013]
Strength:

POWER,POWER,POWER, realy good modulation super light. I have had no problems bleeding ? Best brake i have ever used, it feels like a highend sport bike. (motorcycle)

cost a bit steep. made for longer fingers or bigger hands.

worth the money!! I will buy another pair for my next bike.

Tarekith   All Mountain Rider [Aug 31, 2012]
Strength:

Stopping power, looks, adjustability, factory bleed was perfect.

Can take awhile to get to run quiet.

My new Slayer 70 came with these brakes, and I was curious to see how they would compare with the 2012 Elixir X.9's I was running on my last bike. Right away I was super happy that they were bled so well from the factory. I like my brakes extremely touchy, and these were light years ahead of the Elixirs on that front (read my review of the Elixirs on MTBR for more details).

Following the guidelines on the Formula website, I broke them in as recommended, and by the end of my first ride they were broken in and stopping extremely well. Much more braking power than the Elixirs, and after multiple rides with long descents they don't seem to be fading as much from heat build up either.

Only downside for me was that they did start to squeal a little when dusty, but I've had this issue with all brakes I've used with sintered pads. I was able to adjust them enough that it would usually go away, but sooner or later a small creak would be heard at lower speeds.

Swapped out the sintered pads for the organics with alloy backing (something do on all my brakes anyway), and it's now gone completely. I'd say only a 5% decrease in stopping power with the organics over the sintered, which is fine with me. Pricey brakes, so I'm glad my bike came with them stock!

Similar Products Used: Avid BB7, Avid Juicy 5, Avid Elixir x.9
Tjay   All Mountain Rider [Aug 08, 2012]
Strength:

-Lots of stopping power.
-One finger braking (no stress on the finger like other brakes such as formula r1 or rx).
-Lightweight
-Looks damn good!
-Very good modulation.

-Adjustment. Just like the RX and R1's... PITA to adjust the rubbing rotors. I want to give up on this brakes already. Shimano's SLX are a lot easier to adjust.
-brake pad adjustment on the lever doesn't really work.
-Intermittent noise in the front with formula rotors when brake is engaged.
-expensive

This brakes has great modulation and real one finger braking. You don't have to put that much effort trying to pull that lever like other brakes. If you messed up and came in to deep into the corner and have to modulate your brakes while in the turns, this brake will save you. 336 grams per side with rotor and adaptor. That's LIGHT!! Looks good and slim.

For the price and comfort, I'd buy the SLX or XT for the 2012 model. They're that good! I have one on my other bike.

Similar Products Used: 2012 Shimano SLX
matthew melvyn   [May 06, 2012]
Strength:

Strong, Light,,,,did I say strong. People have mentioned lack of 'feel' but I don't see that, they modulate fine for me. Pretty bullet-proof, more of a fading than a fail when you need to work on them.

Difficult to maintain, as in the most difficult disc brake system out there that I ever worked on (by far). Finicky. Pads not in most shops, so you better count on toting a few around with you

They are light and expensive but you already knew that. They are the best, but if you aren't really comfortable fiddling around during bleeding or have a strong shop near by, you should factor in the difficult maintainance, They need less, however than any system I've used, and, in my expireance, they get "mushy" instead of how some systems just go lever flat to the bar when they need a bleed. The are the best and I've found them to be really reliable. Strong, like next-level strong vs. other systems. Very predictable and always there with the same feel and grab. Little or no fade with heavy use.

bkboom123   Downhiller [Jun 30, 2011]
Strength:

Unbelievably power from such a small lightweight package. Modulation is amazing. Love the minimalistic design and asthetics. Customer Service

The clamp between the left and right levers are the same so they aren't symmetrical (nothing performance wise wrong with this) A bit of turkey garble on the rear, but nothing to write home about. Pricey.

Amazing brakes. These are a bit pricey, but you truly get what you pay for.
When I originally received the product the front caliper had a bad seal on the pistons and leaked a bit of oil. I contacted Formula USA and they had it fixed and backed to me within a week. They overnited the package back to me. Replaced all seals in the front, as well as piston, and pads. I was told this is something that happens with one in about 3,000 units, LUCKY ME.
Anyways ever since I got it back the brakes have been superb. They are very very durable. I'm rocking a 180/160 combo and have plenty stopping power for Plattekill.

Similar Products Used: Magura Louise, Shimano XT, Hayes Stroker Ace
RandyBoy   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

This is for a 2009 set of The Ones. Large diameter pistons, adjustable levers, powerful, great modulation

Price, price of spare pads.

These brakes are strong yet sensitive, great modulation, couldn't ask for much more. Love how well they allow you to control your bike when decelerating. They stop you right now.
Good looking with the gold anodize. Great brakes if you are a Clyde, ride steep stuff, and need absolute control taking it to the limit slowing down.

I'd buy another set if I didn't already have a set of MeGa's for my other 29'er

Similar Products Used: MeGA, k24, BB7 Juicy 7's
egsavio   Downhiller [Mar 25, 2011]
Strength:

Light, extremely powerful with one finger.

Price, but the best never is affordable.

It's a mystery. How can be so powerful and light?

Similar Products Used: Juicy Seven, Elixir, Nine, Stroke.
JimEG   Weekend Warrior [Dec 28, 2010]
Strength:

True on finger action, uber light.

BLEEDING!!!!!! These brakes are going back to Formula for the 2nd time in the last year to be bled. LBS cant do it, I've tried too. We both followed the instructions perfectly. Lever gets mushy after a few months of use.

This is a recurring theme with others as well.

Great if you are a factory rider with Formula support around to maintain your brakes after every race.

Unacceptable reliability. Too bad. These things are f'n light and strong. Would not recommend buying these. I'm going to Saint's.

Sorry for the one flame rating, never done that before.

Similar Products Used: Lots and lots
rmdolfing   Cross Country Rider [Nov 09, 2010]
Strength:

stopping power. Looks.

Extremely maintenance sensitive to such an extend that it really spoils the enjoyment of my bike.

I would happily change 'the ONE' for a brake set that keeps performing well over a longer time and doesn't need the amount of maintenance and frequent service intervals. It really interfers with biking. The manufacturer says it is due to the agressive DOT 4 brake fluid used in the system. This provides the agressive instant braking but also affects the brakes (i.e. use a system that operates with mineral oil). My rear brakes need an overhaul at the factory after only 2 years of use because the brake pistons won't retract into the calipers anymore. My bike buddy's brakes are exactly the same. Both bikes are consequently out of action for 2 to 4 weeks.