Formula RX Disc Brake System

Formula RX Disc Brake System

Blessed with trickledown technology, the Formula RX Disc Brake shares the general design and performance of the top shelf R1 -- but in an extremely affordable package. You can expect to get that same smooth application of stopping power and consistent lever feel that you expect from Formula's high-end products, with only a tiny weight penalty.The Formula RX Brake employs the new radial design master cylinder. The RX master cylinder body works just like its more expensive big brother, but a pressure cast body, as opposed to a forged body, keeps the cost down as does the use of steel hex-bolt hardware instead of the R1's alloy torx bolts. It can be run moto-style with the rear brake on the left as both lever/master cylinder bodies are identical.It features the same 22mm diameter pistons as the R1 and both can use the same brake pads. However, where the R1 has an alloy backed organic pad, the RX comes with a steel backed organic pad as standard equipment. It uses a polyester braided hose that works to prevent hose expansion when the system is under extreme pressure. Formula uses DOT 4 brake fluid, which is less temperature-sensitive than mineral oil.The pistons themselves are made of a heat dissipating composite material and are cupped to provide even more surface area for the fluid to push against and to help shed built-up heat. The one-piece caliper design is stiffer because there are no bolted-together parts to flex along the seam line when you need to stop fast and grab a finger-full of lever. Good ventilation on both the bottom and top of the piston dissipates heat and the top vent also helps make pad changes easy, even with the wheel still in the bike.The Formula RX Disc Brake is available in Black or White. The price reflects all the parts, save for the rotor which is sold separately in three sizes; 160mm, 180mm, and 203mm. Each size comes with the appropriate adapters. The RX brake weighs 341 grams (with 160mm rotor).Please note: almost all hydraulic brake lines need to be cut to size before a bike is properly shod with hydraulic disc brakes. You'll need a quality cable-cutter like the Park CN-10 and a spoke to first cut and then de-crimp the housing.

[Oct 11, 2015]
FireLikeIYA

Strength:

-Great modulation
-light
-Lever is the perfect size
-I like the moto style look on the handlebars

-Reservoir cap is against the handlebars
-Replacement parts are pricey

I purchased a set of 2011 Formula RX brakes on clearance several years ago. I didn't have a bike to put them on but they were on a blowout clearance and I couldn't resist. They've been sitting in my garage until this year when I finally built up a new bike. The old fluid must have absorbed a lot of moisture during their 2+ year storage because the brakes were practically locking up. I cut the hoses to size and bled all the old fluid out. I also had to play with the caliper pistons to get them moving because they were locked up from sitting for so long. They are working great now. Way more impressed with these brakes than I though I would be. Very powerful and and they are super light (~250g), I also have a set of Formula R1 with organic pads. I bled those at the same time and I think the RX has them beat in modulation and feel. The only downside I have found with Formula brakes is that they put the reservoir cap inside the clamp area such that it is against the handlebars. Moisture collects in this area from the fluid heating up and cooling down and, like most DOT brake systems, the DOT fluid very slightly leaks out of the cap enough to produce a sheen. This is a problem for carbon bars as it will dissolve the epoxy. I have aluminum bars but if I ran CF I would probably tape the bars in the clamp area to avoid contact. For example, after 5 years my R1 brakes on my other bike removed most of the anodizing on the handlebars inside the clamp area (you can't see it until you remove the brakes). Small gripe for excellent brakes. I highly recommend them.

[Jul 02, 2015]
Beaumont_94

Strength:

Good stopping power

Very loud, rotors kept running on the pads, little modulation, pads run too close to the rotor

I got these brakes on my 2013 Marin Nail Trail 29er, they worked well originally. I swapped the brakes onto a different bike, they have been a nightmare since. The rotor rubbed on the pads frequently which resulted in squeaking and a loss of speed. I took them to my LBS, they spent half an hour trying to get them working smoothly, but due to how close the pads run to the rotor they said their is nothing that can be done to make them run smoothly; aside from re-building and re-bleeding them and even they they weren't guaranteed to work. Bottom line these are now only useful as a paper weight, I will be off to buy some Shimanos to save the hassle.

The mechanic at the shop recommended against using Formula's as its a frequent problem

[Oct 31, 2014]
Chris

Strength:

They stop your bike

Horrible squeaks & squeals!

These came stock on my 2011 Rocky Mtn Element 950 when I bought it a couple years ago. Right from the get go they were noisy all the time, like really loud. A clown horn comes to mind. The shop told me it should improve with time but never did. I tried OEM pads, organic vs resin, all kinds of things, but pretty much the same result no matter what. Finally gave up & dump these this year & replaced with new XTs. So far haven't heard a peep out of those & the braking power is much better.

[Jun 02, 2014]
hags707

Strength:

They work, 3 seasons with them and no issues, not even a bleed, good power, ran some longer dh runs with them and no fade

Lots play in lever before engagement, price

Have nothing bad to say to they work and work well

[May 03, 2014]
Hristo

Strength:

I have RX from 1/2 year. They have perfect modulation, heat less, power. I change the pads with sintered and they are steel absolutely quite!

White colour ( my bike is black )

BEfore RX i ride Avid Elixir 1... TErrible SRAM brakes ! Now 'm happy with my RX and i prefer Carbon Lorain Sintered brake pads - they are perfect and quite !

[Jan 24, 2014]
Pam

Strength:

Well designed
Well manufactured
Outstanding power
Excellent modulation
Light weight
Ease of installation
Reliable
Typical Italian stylish and look much more expensive than they are.

I have these on all my bikes. The power is excellent and the modulation is every bit as good. They are very well made and straight forward to install. They are reliable and pads last well. They are really light weight but not fragile and the rotors are rigid too.

[Oct 02, 2013]
greeny

Strength:

Light, superbly designed, manufactured and finished in White and Red

Excellent brakes with loads of power, feel and quality finish.
Light weight and really well made.
I have no problem at all with the modulation or reliability.

[Sep 30, 2013]
mbikerguy
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Cool looking design. Extremely powerful.

Very little modulation, very on/off switch like. Very loud squealing and honking sounds. Came overfilled with fluid from factory. Worst customer service I have ever experienced.

These brakes came on my 2011 Ibis Mojo HD and have been a nightmare ever since. They stopped very abruptly with very little modulation. I spoke to tech support where they said they probably came from factory over filled with brake fluid and they needed to be bled. I paid a local shop to bleed them and I still had the same exact problems. I sent them in to formula service and they once again diagnosed over filling and rebled them and sent them back. I still had same exact problems as before with no improvement. I recently sent them back to Formula and once again they still say they were over filled even though they bled them last and now they also want to charge me $50 to rebleed them. They also wouldn't mount up to my X-fusion Vengeance fork but I had no problem mounting the XTs. I told them to keep them and not bother shipping them back to me. I now run Shimano XTs on my bikes and have had zero issues.

Shimano XT

[Sep 21, 2013]
Phan Nobulous
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Powerful. Light. Easy to set up. Reliable. Well made. Consistent.

Separate rotors or other parts can be expensive.
Pad to rotor tolerances are close.

Excellent brake, very well made/designed. Power is remarkable and the modulation is very good leading to progressive and positive braking that inspires confidence. This braking system simply out-performs most of the most expensive brakes out there!

Shimano XTR, XT, Deore, Hope Mini, Mono Mini, Magura Julie, Avid Elixir, Sram.

[May 15, 2013]
Formula RX

Strength:

Good stopping power and light weigh

Have a pair of these brakes and I am very satisfied. They work very well, great feeling, look awesome, much better than Avid brakes.

Avid Juicy 5