Formula Oro Bianco Disc Brake System

• Patented body
  • Forged 1 finger lever
  • Two pieces master cylinder
  • Flip Flop master cylinder
  • Super compact design master cylinder body

EmanResu   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2008]
Strength:

Powerful, consistant, reliable, mostly quiet, lightweight, 1-finger-friendly.

Expensive, pad wear issues, rust prone steel banjos/bolts, expensive.

Performance-wise these have been solid brakes but I can't get over how much they cost, at £325, or $650 at the time of purchase. Formula's spares and accessories are also way overpriced in my opinion.

An issue I don't like with them is that as the pads wear down, the lever moves ever-closer to the bar. Why can't the system auto-adjust? The 'Feel Control System' also seems somewhat lacking in that even at the 'least throw' setting it still leaves them requiring a fair amount of lever pull before they engage (on brand new pads, forget about it altogether once the pads start to wear!).

I've found the default banjos/bolts prone to rust if not kept in check (lightly wiped/brushed with oil periodically).

Negatives aside, they perform admirably all the time, whether dry/wet/clean/muddy, using the original sintered pads as included. They provide more power than I ever need generally whilst running 180mm disc front/rear, and require very little effort to control in tricky technical sections.

Similar Products Used: Hayes Sole
gugu   Cross Country Rider [Aug 27, 2008]
Strength:

#Looks
Great finish, ligthweight, robust, minimalist, shining silver look
#Performance
- Indifferent to temperature
- Progressives enough (depends on pads and caliper setup)
- Above all... 2 separate adjustments:
1. Brake lever distance, very ergonomic
2. Manual (on the lever) piston adjustment, resulting in pad distance to the disc, while riding!
- Good power
- Lightweight drilled discs
- After proper setup, you forget about them! They to their job with no fuss ;)

none, maybe just the cost of brake hose terminations, if one needs to replace the oil/hoses.
there are lighter brakes, like XTR, but these Formula Oro Bianco look much better on the bike!

Highly recommended, for XC and Light Enduro (using 160mm discs)

Similar Products Used: Magura Louise Disc (Mineral)
Avid Ultimate Disc
Shimano XTR Disc
Shimanto XT 2008 Disc
Scott Corkery   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2007]
Strength:

With such incredible stopping power that will rip the sunglasses from your face, you wonder how Formula obtained the smoothest modulation I've ever felt from a disc brake. Very easy setup!

The front piston was a bit slow to pull away from the rotor the first few rides

6 months, 2 races, hundreds of fun filled miles, ranging from Fruita, Vail, Telluride, Boise, SunValley, These brakes have performed magically. One complaint; The first 4 rides I had an incredibly annoying "harmonics" emanating from the front brake. It sounded like instead of stainless steel rotor in the front someone snuck in fine crystal. It took re-setting the brake 3 times and pushing the piston back to "starting" postition before the piston actuated normally and the harmonics stopped.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, Avid Juicy
William Dippel   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2007]
Strength:

These brakes have mad "bling" good looks with animal like stopping power. 180's front and rear, I think I could stop on a power pole if so desired. Levers are spot on perfect for single or double finger pulls. Big guy (250) doing fast downhills, these things never seem to overheat. Great feedback/modulation out of the box.

Hard to find parts if you brake something. Instructions were O.K, but photos were really small. Online photos no better. Decided to take to local shop for cable shortening as manual looked intimidating (syringe if necessary?). Lucky Formula sent extra fittings, local shop (not spider)had nothing in stock. With my fittings they did a great job and now she looks/rides fantastic.

Once you get over the installation and everything shakes out, these things are awesome. Was buying K24's but stepped up just for the bling factor. I believe both would rock, but these really are the best looking brakes I have seen. Clamp instead of slip on handles is a nice touch, and they work as good as they look.

Similar Products Used: Avid Juicy, XT.
Cliff DeForge   Weekend Warrior [Jun 14, 2007]
Strength:

Very light and a seriously powerful brake with stunning and effective modulation that really works on the trail.
Easy to set up and tune, stock pads work well and a really good overall design.

No Weaknesses

An amazingly good brake.
This is something that works on the trails just like I want it. I can get one finger - eye-popping - lock the brakes stopping power or a controlled and feathered stop. Very very good control matched to stunning stopping power and super lightness makes these the best brakes I have used and I have pretty much tried the whole stable.
And the bonus is that you can fit and tune the whole lot yourself and that's important as anyone who has had Hope brakes will tell you. The lever feel is excellent and the adjuster that lets you set the bite point is a stroke of genius. You can probably guess I'm pretty pleased with these brakes.

Similar Products Used: Avid Juicy Seven, Hayes HFX 9 XC, Hope Mono M4, Magura Marta SL, Shimano BR-M755 XT.
Preston   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2007]
Strength:

Power, pad retraction, weight

ergonomics

I”ve been running Hayes for years on all my bike and been reasonably pleased with them. I was comfortable with setting them up and bleeding them and even rebuilding the calipers with new pistons. I used Razor Rock stubby levers and the positioning was perfect. I usually could brake 1 finger but always went to two when it got sketchy.When I first put on the Formula’s (I bought the Blancos, and they are very nice looking with silver polish) the lever had a lot of travel and felt mushy. The amount of lever travel is adjustable but even on the smallest amount it seemed excessive. However I know from setting up brakes on race cars that you can’t have something for nothing in a non-boosted setup. If you want more power, you have to have more lever travel. If you want more pad retraction, you have to have more lever travel. It was also somewhat of a challenge getting the shifter pods inboard far enough to get the levers where I wanted. So my first impression was that they felt a little goofy for me and my shifter pods, while totally acceptable, were not as perfect as before. However, after riding them for several weeks now, I am totally used to them and love the power. I never use more than one finger in any situation. If anything I have to be careful not to lock the front wheel on sketchy terrain. When I ride my commuter bike that still has the Hayes, I am amazed at how much effort I have to put into the brakes to slow down. I’m really looking forward to putting them on my DH bike to cut down on hand and forearm fatigue when riding Whistler. So I agree with all the hype, these brakes work excellent and have tremendous power. In addition, while they will squeak a bit when wet as all discs do, they squeal less and quiet up faster than the Hayes and are dead quiet in the dry. And the best part of all, they don’t rub at all ! Brand new Hayes when setup perfectly won’t rub either, but it doesn’t seem to take long before you get a little bit of rub in them. And maybe after a season of riding these will get a bit sticky and rub as well, but so far after 6 weekends in brutal NW mud, the wheels spin free and easy and quietly. The last situation to be tested is a long steep brake dragging downhill. There are a few around here that would sometimes overheat and fade the rear Hayes (6”) unless I had just bled it and even then you could feel it was on edge. But given the level of confidence these brakes have right now, I find it hard to imagine I’ll have any problems. So other than missing my “right there” positioning of my Hayes levers and their short travel, I highly recommend these formula brakes.

Similar Products Used: Hayes Mag
Gus Devere   Cross Country Rider [Apr 09, 2007]
Strength:

Beautiful construction and build. Very light and a real work of art. Powerful way passed their size and plenty of control with good lever feel.

I have 180x160 and the power is impressive.
Weight is so low and the way this is put together is pure quality. No performance, reliability or leak issues and the performance is constant with little drop off even in the wettest conditions. Very nice lever feel and I can feel my way right up to bite point and the grunt is substantial. They punch well above their weight! One of the best if not maybe THE best brakes I have ever used and that's saying something!

Similar Products Used: Just so many
Craig Williamson   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2007]
Strength:

Very light with astonishing power in the 180x160mm models. Massive modulation with the power.
Easy to set up and adjust. Very reliable with no pad drag. Very beautiful finish that looks stunning.

Seriously good brake that has astonishing power along with simply superb modulation. Very light for such a powerful and well made system. This is a really high quality piece of kit and it shows in its flawless performance and reliability. The rotors are substantial enough not to warp or easily bend. Simple to install and to adjust and the pads take little time to break in. The looks of these brakes is real Italian Chic. I know it shouldn't matter but since everything else is here....power, modulation, reliability and user friendlyness the fact that they look fantastic is just the "cream on the cake".

rustybiker1973   Cross Country Rider [Mar 26, 2008]
Strength:

Incredible power and look

Squealing when wet, organic pads lasting

Great brake sistem. A little expensive but the best ever tried. Great heat dissipating with 200mm front and 180mm rear.. Just one finger using in every situation.
Organic pads lasted few month in a normal use.
I suggest it