Formula Extreme Disc Brake System

Formula Extreme Disc Brake System

Formula Extreme: DH/FR Specific.

-Master Cylinder
Forged master cylinder.
Tool free reach lever reach adjustment
Removable lever clamp – no need to remove shifters and grips for lever removal.

-Caliper
Four opposed pistons caliper with self adjustment system.
Forged caliper
Available semi metallic pad compound (racing)
Available sintered metallic pads

-185mm and 205mm rotors available.
-431g with 185mm rotor and 507g with 205mm rotor.

[Jan 31, 2018]
Cloxxki

Strength:

My pair was on a Banshee Morphine. When I sold the bike, I made sure to keep the brakes. Just a dream how they perform. Once on the 4-cross track, I was in the air over the table top when a kid faceplanted right behind it in my path. I used the back ramp to come to a full halt. Big guy, high speed, tall table top. Saved a lot of hurt those brakes right there. The other reviews remind of these being the Formulas that are actually great. Hope to get my NOS Oro K18 set to close this modulation. Power...eh. I can ride with V-brakes too, but those don't play nice with wide rims let alone plus tires. I should put my Extremes on a bike again. Not keep savng them for something special. Now if only someone gets me a steel 29+ frameset in Europe...

The levers flopped "open" one time to many. It's easily popped out. May well have saved the levers at one point, of course.

Purchased:
New
[Jul 22, 2016]
Max Werner (Finland)
Downhiller

Strength:

Power! Power!! POWER!!! Modulation, Adjustability, Insane looking!

Weight (for 2016 standards)

Together with my newest Formula R0's (ovaled pistons) this are the most powerful brakes I ever tried!!
I put them on a old school project bike I just built, got them NOS directly from factory in 2016 (they sponsor me), and they would be able to stop a motorcycle.... Hey wait!!! The levers of those brakes are used nowadays in thee motorcycle product line from Formula! Yes! They also makes brakes and forks for motorcycles, and the 2016 motorcycle brakes features the Formula ExtremE MC,same used on this brakes back in 2002!!! It seems they finally found a good field of application without being overkill!!!
As other reviewer said, they really seem they are going to rip off the tires from your rim, don't push the levers so hard or you will fly over the bar.
This brakes with exception of the Formula R0's leaves the bar way higher in stopping power.
Makes avid feel as chinese toys.

Formula R0, Formula The One, Formula RX, Formula R1, Grimeca XSIV (system 12), Shimano Saint (1st gen)

[Apr 10, 2006]
Mark Johnston

Strength:

Braking Power!!!Look good, simple design,Easy to fit

Bleeding them.

These are great brakes, the Grimeca 8 was the first hydraulic disc brakes I have used, I thought they were great and that all Hydraulic disc brakes worked the same but how wrong, these feel like they are going to rip the tyres off my rims!! It has a 205mm disc, I am a heavy rider(105K-220lbs) but these brakes will stop me on a knifes edge instantly!! And they feel great,smooth with an easy feel(1 finger braking) and good ajustment!!

Grimeca 8

[Mar 03, 2007]
Ivan

Strength:

Power, modulability, stability, precision, design (italian...)

None except for the price, high but the quality is high too...

If you are looking for a great brake system this is the right one for you, similar to the Hope M4, at the same price but I have choosen Formula because is Italian...

HSIV DBH 12, Grimeca Sis12, Hayes mag plus

[Sep 11, 2006]
Kirby Dotson

Strength:

Solid, well engineered, powerful

None...except for the stoping power...I turned myself into a missle a couple of times when surprised by oncoming traffic on blind corners....even after riding with hydraulic discs for 5 years. These are quite a step up in stopability.

The hayes are good when they stay aligned. I do a lot of climbs followed by long downhills. I wanted something with a little less brake fade. 6" are smoking hot after some 15 minutes downhills.

These things are an awesome piece of engineering. Took me only 30 minutes to changes over both wheels

Hayes HFX-9 XC, Avid Discs

[May 25, 2006]
david

Strength:

power, modulability, design

These are the perfect brakes, point. They are really a pleasure to use, less than efficient brakes can screw up a nice ride, these formula are worth all the money they cost.

Hayes nine HD, formula 18k, formula 24k

[Jan 14, 2006]
Julio
Downhiller

Strength:

Very strong braking power,Beautiful design,good value.

the price is Expensive

These brakes are unbelievable,very good braking power,beuatiful design,Exelend for hardcore downhill.
Buy these brakes and you will see preformence wen youre are Downhill mountain biking on the trails or in the bikepark.

Hayes hfx9,Grimeca 8 system,Hope mono 6ti,magura gustav M