Formula C1 Disc Brake System

This versatile brake, with Formula’s new cartridge technology, is easy to maintain and provides great performance.

Carbon Ken   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2015]
Strength:

Lightweight. Relatively simple design.

Stopping power

The C1s came as standard equipment on my hardtail and are a good entry level brake. Simple construction and lightweight.

However, I found them to be a little too weak in terms of stopping power. Having come from some old school 4 piston XTs and then Formula Oro Puros, I'm obviously spoiled but the C1s were just reasonable on flats and left a lot to be desired on the inclines.

fxd336   [Nov 28, 2014]
Strength:

air,wear through pads like crazy !!!!

im on my 3rd set of pads in one year....yes the calipers are ok and so are the rotors.my friend has the same brakesand is going through the same thing,they SUCK..

Stumpyfsrcompevo29   Downhiller [Mar 18, 2014]
Strength:

Good power, good adjustability, easy to combine with SRAM shifters.

Out of the box they were soft and needed to be bled.

Good brake for the money once you can get a good bleed to them.

Similar Products Used: Avid codes, elixir 9, elixir 7 trail.
Pontius_Pirate   Weekend Warrior [Jan 03, 2014]
Strength:

Cost. All black with no odd hardware makes for a sleek look. Once broken in I'm good with their stopping ability and modulation.

Formula bits (spare parts, hardware etc) are not readily stocked at every shop.

My old bike had a set of Formula Oro brakes that I loved, so when it came time for stoppers for the new bike I looked at Formula again. only this time, I had a budget goal. I grabbed both front and rear off a forum member for 100$. (I believe at this point these brakes are only OEM - but maybe I'm wrong). I needed longer hose, so I went to the LBS and they hooked me up with Shimano hose kits that worked great. Then I took a stab at bleeding the brakes. Got the front one done first time. The rear went OK, then I went for a ride and had to bleed again. All in all, maybe 2 hrs bleeding these guys.

So, performance. At first I was not impressed - then I realized that the rotors were brand new (not bedded in). Sure enough over the next 3-4 rides the braking performance has improved and now I'm very happy with modulation and power. Note, these are NOT 12 pot super DH brakes that could stop a bus. They're single pot trail brakes. Having said that, I'm a fatty at 240lbs loaded with gear and i ONLY use 1 finger braking. no issues with 6" rotors. Though I do wonder if on longer downhill runs if i'll be able to overheat the brakes.

So, for 100$ plus 25$ on hose kits I've got like new brakes taht work well. Happy so far. Very curious how the new cartridge levers will hold up. So far, so good.