Avid Juicy Seven Disc Brake System

Avid Juicy Seven Disc Brake System

Avid Juicy-7 Carbon Hydraulic Disc Brake: 2008 updated MC/lever with restyled aluminum body, carbon lever blade and red aluminum PCP adjuster knob: 30g lighter (no 203mm kit for 2008)

[Jul 12, 2016]
ThomasBombadillo

Strength:

Won't throw you over the bars.

Stopping power. Not much better than properly adjusted cantilevers.
Bleeding is a pain, requires DOT fluid.
Metallic pads howl (organic, not as much).
Pad replacement is difficult

These came on my old Cannondale Prophet, and were spec'ed on many bikes of that era (mid-2000s). I ran them for a couple of years and was never really happy with them. I moved them to one of my kids' bikes that was running some cheap v-brakes and upgraded to Shimano Deore brakes on my bike. Everything about the Shimano brakes is better (power, lever feel, bleeding, noise (or lack of), pad replacement). Now I am much happier.

Shimano Deore, Hayes

[Jan 20, 2014]
rojomas

Strength:

Good power, Good modulation, Easy to bleed

A little bulky. Can be noisy.

These brakes worked great for 6 years then all of a sudden the levers got sticky and wouldn't return to the open position. The odd thing is that both started doing it at the same time. I rebuilt both of them and for some reason they both remained sticky. Over all though, I more than got my money's worth out of them before they started acting up and were great brakes up until then.

[Dec 27, 2012]
Josh
Downhiller

Strength:

Where to start? Very nice lever feel, enough power necessary for DH (203mm rotors), left or right HS levers.
Contact pad ajust does work!

Washers are a little annoying. Bleeding is straight forward but a little fiddly. Special bleed kit needed. Bleeding required more often then shimano. They do tend to fade a little on very long and steep runs.

These brakes are rad to the power of sick. For best performance you'll have to bleed them and change pads at the same time (~once a year), but they have great lever feel (better then elixirs IMO), pad contact adjust is useful and powerful. Not as powerful as 4 pots, but for most of us more power then necessary.

Avid elixir 5, R, CR. Shimano Saint m810, XT m785.

[Apr 03, 2012]
NachtWolf
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great braking power, adjustment knob DOES do something and I appreciate having it

Adjustment knob has gotten very stiff and often just destroys my fingers when I work with it. pad wear?

These brakes were the best of their time but I don't suggest paying more than $100 for these now (considering all the new products available). People may say that the adjustment knob does nothing but this is a false statement. It does actually adjust contact, but it's not meant for course adjustments. It's a tool that you can use for fine adjustments AFTER aligning the pads and calipers to the discs, and adjust over time to account for wear. It takes a lot of turns to move the piston, and you may have trouble noticing a difference, but trust me, it's doing something.

This may be just me but I seem to be replacing pads every year. Perhaps I'm getting oil on the pads.

Hayes Sole

[Sep 30, 2011]
JR

Strength:

Powerful with good modulation.

Can get noisy, pad contact dial does virtually nothing, difficult to bleed.

As much as I like the power and feel, I have had problems keeping air out of the system. And bleeding is challenging. Some reviewers said bleeding is easy, but the easiest way I found to bleed them was to have my LBS do it. Syringes pushing and pulling brake fluid? I see many other MTB hydraulic disc systems bleed this way too, so maybe I'm just out of touch. I also had problems with the caliper pistons binding over time causing the pads to rub and squeak making my fellow riders want to run me off the trail. And the pad contact dial has never seemed to do anything at all. Good brakes, but mine have been finicky. And that silly pad contact dial looks cool enough, but I wish it did something.

Shimano Deore

[Aug 29, 2011]
eleminohpee

Strength:

These brakes work great and are a great value. Easy to isntall and set up, and the levers are comfortable and it all works with the SRAM matchmaker setup.

Kinda ugly, not that that really matters.

I would suggest these to anyone. Especially if you stay in the SRAM family and do the matchmaker setup. These have been around so long you could also find a great deal on a used set like I did, although in all fairness I have not tried bleeding them yet so not sure how that goes, although I did bleed my Reverb and that was no problem.

Avid BB7s

[May 27, 2011]
toothoogre

Strength:

Low maintenance. Great modulation. Great power Durable. Great value.

the pad adjustment does seem to do much if anything. Pads can be a bear to change on some calipers.

I've used these for years (5?). I started with Hayes and finally gave up because they were so hard to bleed. The Avids are a breeze to bleed. I ride in dry weather, so I get 7-8 months out of a set of sintered metal pads in the rear. I have to bleed every 6-8 months of riding every other day : 2000-3000 miles a year. These brakes are great. Low maintenance great stopping power. Great for a biker on a budget.

I can't say anything about serious heat dissipation since I don't DH. I'm 215# with gear on a 44# bike, so I take a lot of stopping. I use the 203 mm rotors.

Hayes

[May 16, 2011]
jellytronics

Strength:

Smooth like hydraulic brakes should be. Decent stopping power. Pad contact adjustment.

Brake levers are held in place by a pin which over time wears and the levers begin to have play in them. Have yet to interfere with the operation of the brake system.

In 2+ years have never serviced them, changed the pads, or taken them apart for any reason. They came on my Motobecane from bikesdirect so the price isn't accurate. Great set of brakes.

Tektro IO mechanical

[Jan 04, 2011]
bikertime

Strength:

Work Great in any condition. Easy set up and when they worked, they worked great. I loved them for a year. The something went wrong and couldn't get them straight again.

One day my bike fell over. After that, they began worbling and my front brakes made my whole front end start shaking hard. I rebuilt them and it continued. I finally got some XTRs.

They worked great until they got the shakes.

BB5, BB7, XTR

[Nov 27, 2010]
DIck Hurts

Strength:

Strong, Simple, Quiet (after some fiddling),

Some fiddling/set up

I do not know what all the whining is about. Yes owning a bleed kit is handy (once a year, maybe) after initial set up. Yes if you want better response first make sure you have big(er) rotors (think leverage). Yes one should learn how to true their rotors (as part of first set up) but man o man once these are set up I truly don't get what all the whining is about.

One trick I did was to mix one organic and one semi metallic pad per caliper, both quiet and great stop and great modulation. (hint put the semi metallic pad on the higher ware side. Again, once these are set up, use em and forget em, but if they are never right then guess what, they will never be right.

I am actually looking to put a smaller rotor on the rear as 203 is just more then needed

first Hydro and love them