Avid Juicy Carbon Disc Brake System

Avid Juicy Carbon Disc Brake System

The tasty looks and comfy feel of the super-light lever are the first things notice about it.

[Mar 06, 2012]
WVU RUSH
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Power, weight, modulation

None so far

I upgraded from Hayes 9 to the Juicy Carbons. Wow what a different. After installing the Juicy Carbons, I realized what modulations was. Bottom line these brakes have been trouble free (zero adjustment needed) in 2 years of riding. Highly recommend.

Hayes 9, assortment of mechanical brakes

[May 09, 2011]
nsconts

Strength:

great stopping ability, tight feel

These brakes are awesome. The Air 9 I bought had the Elixir 5's on it and they didn't come close to the Juicy Carbon feel and stopping power. I switched the Juicy Carbon's from Scalpel and the difference is remarkable. I'll be keeping these brakes for a while!

Elixir 5

[May 02, 2011]
orekizler

Strength:

Very easy to dial in. Pad contact makes it much more easier than Juicy series.
Bleeding is so easy and fast with the avid bleeding kit.

Not powerful enough for a heavy rider.

Have been using them for 5 years. They always perform well. No need to bleed them often and when you do it s a very easy job with the kit. 160 rotors are fine if you re light weight. But ideally I d say go for larger rotor sizes.

Magura Louise

[Apr 28, 2011]
Bizio90

Il freno non funziona come dovrebbe.
La frenata è lenta e non ottimale.

[Nov 17, 2009]
tcasari

Strength:

They do their intended job well and look swell doin' it

None for me

They do what I bought them for. They stop well with minimal noise, which varies with moisture (mostly quiet). Great modulation with one finger ease. I ride agressive XC and weight about 150 lb. All the stopping power I need. Light enough. Look good. A great value these days with the intro of the Elixir line. This is just my experience. To each their own! :)

AVID BB and Hayes hydro

[Jul 04, 2009]
CDA MTBer

Strength:

quality product, adjustability, good modulation, good durability, easy to adjust and maintain.

Price if you pay MSRP

These brakes stop well and handle everything I can put them through from fast fire roads to steep technical trails with speeds reaching 40+mph. I have never experienced brake fad or overheating problems which I believe are largely related to riders dragging thier brakes from the top of the hill to the bottom. Yes I would recommend these brakes.

Hayes, Hope, Magura

[Feb 07, 2009]
mkldesigns

Strength:

I wouldn't know, They were junk right out of the box & I haven't been able to ride them yet.

It's an Avid

I bought these as an upgrade to the Juicy 5's that came on the bike. The 5's howled non stop until I switched the pads to the organics. (why do they even make the metallic pads!!!)
Right out of the box the front lever was junk. It wouldn't return to the released position after the lever was squeezed.
Now I remember why I got out of mountain biking three years ago. The stuff is under-built & overpriced!!!

Hayes

[Jan 09, 2009]
fast_ticket

Strength:

All the power I need, great modulation in the corners

Tempermental and tedious set up, Tri-align is a myth

Once these brakes are dialed in they're great, getting there takes patience. Contrary to other reviews Avid Customer service (Nate) hooked me up! I'm running '07's w/ a 185 front (with no problems) and 160 rear (brake wurbled like a turkey in heat) After getting nowhere with Cambria or local LBS I went to Avid who sent me their newest rotor and brake pads, free. The new rotor did help the noise but then I noticed pulsing. Turned out the pads were riding 3mm down the rotor arms. I replaced the adaptor using a 160 front and it positioned the pads perfectly. Now I only have the sweet sound of speed scrub. Unless you are a great wrench set up is best left to the pros. Oh, the pad adjustment dials are next to useless.

[Nov 26, 2008]
UpSideDownBiker

Strength:

Light weight

Lack power, squeal, come out of adjustment.

I hate to say this but these brakes kind of suck. I've seen other reviews for them and was excited to see them come on my 29'er. But after a few rides I had problems. Brought them in and had new lines put in and new oil but a very good mechanic. Same issues. The power is non-existent, they squeal, the lever slowly dives over time. Not during the ride but almost as if the pads are wearing down. So, yes I put pads on and no luck, bled them again, blah, blah, blah. I ended up taking them off and putting on my Juicy 7's. All the problems went away. Still not as powerful as my new XT's but at least I stop now. I hope the new brakes Avid has out work much better because I would have rather had a set of BB7's on the bike because they work.

Avid Juicy 7's, Shimano XTR, Shimano XT, Shimano Deore, Avid BB7's.

[Oct 26, 2008]
JackHammer
Downhiller

Strength:

Super powerful, excellent modulation, sexy loooks, the carbon lever feels really good against your fingers. Light weight

None yet, but i'm scared of breaking the lever, but i'm yet to fall of hard enough to jab it into the ground. Maybe the squealing when wet.

These brakes are brilliant improvement on the already brilliant juicy 7. The carbon lever blade has no friction against your fingers during the lever pull, although i'd never noticed it until i ran a juicy 7 with alu balde and a juicy carbon on the same bike. Makes me wanna upgrade to the new elixirs cos they are supposedly better! If you can afford them, get em!

avid juicy sevens, hayes hfx 9s