Avid Juicy 3.5 Disc Brake System

Avid service kit for Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brake calipers. Avid # 11.5015.010.000

Tim Hamewka   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2012]
Strength:

Work good...when they're working.

Constantly need adjustment and bleeding.

These brakes came with a new bike I purchased and I have had nothing but problems with them. They replaced the calipers under warranty the first year but still didn't fix the problem. They need adjusted almost every ride and are constantly having to be bled. (Always done at a bike shop.) I plan on installing a set of mechanical disk brakes in the near future.

Similar Products Used: First, and last hydralic brakes.
Peter Smith   [Jun 09, 2012]
Strength:

Reasonable stopping power for first few rides. That's it!

Pistons always stick. Very noisy after going through dirt. Constantly catch on the disc. Need regular adjustment and servicing just to keep them running.

I've serviced these regularly to try to keep them working properly without luck - they stick again after only 1 ride. There is never any time when they run smoothly without catching the disc. I've finally run out of patience and am replacing them with decent brakes. I will never buy any Avid products again!

Trailjunkie   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2011]
Strength:

lever has a nice shape, price

Dot, poor finish, stopping power could be better, G2 discs deform easy, need to bleed them periodically, 2 complete failures in one year.

I cannot say anything really good about these breaks. When working they are okay but i just have to wait some time and they are making trouble again. Pistons get stucked, disc deforms, i had to bleed it all 3 months. I'm looking forward to replace them.

Similar Products Used: Magura Louise, Marta SL Mg etc
jozaner   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2011]
Strength:

Cheap, good breaking especially for xc, easy to setup...

too weak for downhilling with 82+ kg weight...

Very good brakes if you consider their price and the amount of pleasure and joy I had riding with them. I drove them for more than 3 years with no problems, but then they started to leak oil on the lever reservoirs(by that time they had quite many dh runs). I tightened them with plastic straps and they still work, just needed to bleed them.