Avid Hydraulic Disc Brake System

Avid Hydraulic Disc Brake System

Regardless of how janky your buddy's berm-job was, never blow it again, thanks to the Avid Code Disc Brake. Packed with all the stopping power and adjustment features you need, and nothing you don't, the Code Disc will ensure your internet video stardom is from the sick whip you just stuck, not from cartwheeling into a six-foot cactus.

[Feb 17, 2009]
N. Di Santo

Strength:

Tons of stopping power, easy to adjust, install and they work very well when wet or muddy. Living in Brooklyn New York I do a lot of street riding and I need power dodging cars, pedestrians and other bikers.

Front disk makes a lot of noise. When they get wet they scream so loud it's like having a horn.

Great brakes. The noise problem is minor but overall they are a great brake system. I am going to upgrade to the Elixir CR. It's way overkill for the type of riding I do but I just like to know that if I need the power, it's there. Riding in New York City I need stopping power from cars and people. Getting hit by a car is not an option.

Hayes, Magura

[Oct 24, 2008]
Mary Beckman

Strength:

Quick stopping power

Every downhill I have ridden since these came on my new Santa Cruz Superlight they have screamed the whole way downhill. I have had them back to the bike shop twice for adjustments with no improvement. They are now replacing the pads which I hope will solve that

I was told at the bike shop that this is typical of Avid disc brakes but I've never herd any on the trails that sound like this. It makes riding downhills very frustrating

Avid 5 nonhydraulic

[Feb 03, 2005]
Paul

Strength:

Ease of installation, power, modulation, ergonomics

I hear bleeding them is a pain in the a**.

Just got these a few weeks ago. My first set of discs and they went on with no problems at all. Came out of the box properly bled. Just bolted them on, center them with the lever and that's it! No rub and the power seems good. Plenty of modulation too. None of this on/off BS. Will update after the planned superbowl sunday ride in the snow. Czech out details at www.shenandoahmountainbikeclub.com

Avid mech disc

[Dec 13, 2004]
steven

Strength:

Great feel, the wavy rotor looks really cool and functions great

NO tuneability, squeak

For the money you can find a much better set of hydro disc brakes like the shimano xt 4 piston (not the new cheap single piston ones) and hayes hydros. They just look better also.

shimano xt 4 piston, hayes hydros

[Jul 28, 2002]
Gerald Leung
Downhiller

Strength:

wow. I have tried numerous hydraulic disc brakes. From Hayes to Avids to shimano to the maguaras. I have to say, these new hydraulic disc brakes avids have created are excellent! The modulation is unbelievable! I am serious, you can just slightly bend your finger on the lever, and ur wheel be be at a complete halt! It's just that powerful! Installation was very simple, no mysteries. I've tested this product with a few riding friends down a long trail down British Columbia for the whole day! My buddies' pads were all worn out except my avid hydraulics! I still had a lot of the pads left! this is truly amazing. The levers have an amazing feel to it. Extremely comfortable too! and it doesn't have that mushy feeling like the hayes.

Bleeding was a little bit of a mess, but I guess I was just not use to thier bleeding method with a different design on the reservoir.

These disc brakes are extremely amazing. It gives you a totally different feeling from all the other disc brakes I have tried previously. Nothing can match with the avid hydraulics in this competition.

Disc brakes used on motorcycles!