Avid Elixir R Disc Brake System

Avid Elixir R Disc Brake System

Pure, simple performance is what you can expect withThe Elixir R. ItfeaturesTaperBoreTechnology,Tool-free reach adjustment, Power ReserveGeometry,Tri-Align Caliper Positioning System, and drip-free bleedingjust like every AVID hydraulic disc brake. A great match forThe X7 family. 2 piston caliperTop loading pads AmbidextrousTool-free reach adjustmentTaperBoreTechnology Approximate weight 375 grams Include lever, caliper, rotor and hardware

[Jun 23, 2017]
Jay Sams

Strength:

Cheap....as they were free on my Boardman Pro.
I wouldn't take a pair for free having used them.

Shocking from the start. Back brake felt spongy, tried to bleed it numerous times. Just when it felt right I almost hit a gate because they failed..... Badly.

I have replaced them with Shimano Deore which work beautifully with loads of power under one finger. The Avids are double the price but perform shockingly. So disappointed.

[Jan 04, 2015]
TPC

Strength:

They stop.

They stay stopped. Stuck to the rotors. Unable to turn the wheel, if you remove the wheel you can't put them back. It's happened on the trail twice, and while removing the wheel to put the bike in the car. I'm always careful not to move the lever when the wheel is out, but these things love to lock on.

5+ times into the bike shop with the pistons sticking. I wish I'd never bought a Specialized bike with Avid brakes - it's made me *hate* trying to get our riding. Today I took it back to the shop and got endless comments from both a mechanic and the shop owner that they had had huge problems with these brakes around 2010-2012.

Shimano brakes just work, why would you take the risk with these?

[Dec 29, 2013]
Curtis

Strength:

Umm well let's see. It worked for about a year until I went to have my bike tuned up. Turned out that my lbs said that it had to be warranted out due to an O-ring failure in the lever. So I guess props to SRAM/avid for sending out a new brake caliper assembly. Though it's replacement I saw a review on and isn't any better lol.

Oring went out, felt spongy even after bleed

Not the greatest out there. Was hoping for a little bit more from them.

[Aug 03, 2013]
Gregory J Ceconi

Strength:

The brakes will work when you pull the levers

Just about everything

These came spec'd on my 2009 Epic Expert Carbon and while a relatively light tire, they lose power quickly. After about 8 mos. I noticed that I could not lock the rear wheel. What the ???? 4 yrs. later now and I finally bled the system which did nothing at all. Then I read blogs on these brakes and found that the pistons in the caliper are notorious for freezing. Finally in frustration, I opened them up and popped them out with an air compressor. Sure enough, the piston sides had a slight groove cut in the side, which could account for the spotty braking performance. Sometimes you would hit the brakes and get nothing, then once in a blue moon you hit the rear and it would lock and actually have some power.
Ordered the new piston kit/seal kits for both and will give them a try. If you have to replace the pistons every year, then that's a little too much TLC IMO. Shimano or Magura here I come!

[Jun 22, 2013]
Zachariah
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

~Incredible, one-finger stopping power
~Precise, micro-modulation
~CPS mounting system does work - as long as your rotors are straight and CLEAN
~HS1 rotors are very light and dissipate heat well
~Extended descents are no problem
~Able to shorten hose length without bleeding
~Tool free lever adjust
~Lever bodies are reversible - to hide crash marks
~Matchmaker compatibility, with Rock Shox XLoc and Reverb seat dropper, with correct kit

~Uses super-corrosive, DoT 5.1 brake fluid
~Not the lightest brakes
~Two-stage bleed procedure is not the simplest
~When they make noise....stand BACK!

I don't know why all the hate for Avid Elixir brakes. When setup correctly - they are quiet and stop on a dime. In fact, they stop so good....it is even applicable for DH/Freeride bikes. The real beauty is in the modulation. I come from being a longtime Magura Marta SL user, and there is no off/on lever feel, like the Magura. I went OTB on my first ride with them, disbelieving the power these have.

Keep them clean by wiping both rotors with alcohol and making sure the pads have as little dust as possible. I give them a quick shot of low-VOC automotive brake cleaner and they behave like Shimanos. The rotors MUST be flat as a pancake and straight as an arrow to avoid that Turkey warble. Combine one organic pad with a Sintered one for each side and wear will be great. I like these way better than the dangerous, ultra-light SRAM XX brakes - which compromises safety in the name of lightess.

I've tried nearly ALL mountain bike brakes, but I keep coming back to Avid Elixir because of price and they simply stop well. Don't neglect your brakes!!!

~SRAM XX
~Magura Marta SL/MT8
~Hope Tech Evo M4
~Formula R1/RX
~Shimano XT/XTR(M988)
~Hayes Prime Pro

[Apr 06, 2013]
BikerBob

Strength:

looks, feel, ease of mounting and aligning, no squeal

A lot of play in the lever and a bit spongey at first but after a few days of use and a pressured bleed, it worked like a dream.

This isn't a bad brake nor a great one, if you have a tight budget and looking for decent hydraulics your money can buy, have at it.

[Jan 29, 2013]
Fernando Valasquez

Strength:

Looks, maybe?

Everything.

Bike sat in climate controlled room for a month and the rear break was locked up. Brand new 2012 Kona Cadabra with only a few hours or riding. As a professional bike mechanic for 20 years, certified DT Swiss wheel builder and CTS mechanic I can certify these breaks as garbage. When a break paranormally locks up this is when you know you have garbage equipment. No break should ever do this on its own. Perhaps if I treated them poorly maybe, but no. You get what you pay for folks, dont buy cheap breaks because they will not save you anything, especially when they fail when you need them. In this case I have to commute 12 miles in traffic with no rear break, no big deal. I have a set of reliable Shimano breaks on standby at home. These POS breaks should be pulled of bikes and shelves around the world.

[Dec 27, 2012]
Josh

Strength:

The lever feel is second to none and very powerful for a 2 pot brake. Easy to set up. cheap LIGHT!

CPS washers are annoying, special bleed kit needed. Fiddly to bleed, but as said take your time and watch the vid all will be good.

Love the elixirs, run them on all three of my bikes. bleed them and change pads once a year or so and align them regularly and they'll last forever. My friend hit a tree with his, put a crack in the lever body and still hasn't even needed to be bled!

[Sep 05, 2012]
Panos

Strength:

Great power, tireless brakes

Definition of headache = Adjustment of rear brake!

After 3000+ km I'll say that I trust these brakes. That's why I have no problem to ride with 40+ km/h on steep descents. Great power and always available: I never felt that I won't stop on time. Rear brake pads were replaced after 3000 km, front brake pads will be replaced later.
The rear brake adjustment is a problem. Not enough room for pads and rotor, has as a result the pads lightly touching the rotor and slowing down the wheel (plus the fact pads are wearing out faster). Especially now I have brand new pads, installed by a professional seems that there is absolutely no room for pads and rotor!
If the problem above wouldn't exist these brakes would be with one word: awesome...

[Sep 04, 2012]
TobyGadd

Strength:

Reliable, easy to adjust, grippy, nice modulation, easy-to-change pads.

A little tricky to bleed. Be sure to read the manual, watch the video, and take your time.

I've been using a set of Elixer R brakes for about two years now, and I have never had a problem. I just finished the Colorado Trail Race with them, and they worked great. They withstood some very long and steep descents on that race (70,000 total feet over 7 days), with a fully-loaded bike, and never faded or did anything weird. One set of brand-new pads lasted the entire race--barely. They can be a little noisy when the rotors are dirty--but that's pretty much to be expected.

I also have a set on my commuter. Not a terribly demanding application, but they work great. Great stopping power in the rain!

I think that good bleed is necessary if you want to get the most from Elixers. It's not that hard, but it does require attention to detail. There's a good video on SRAM's site, and the manual is also very helpful. Buy the proper bleed kit, and take your time to get it right. Get ALL of the bubbles out of the line by tilting your bike if necessary, tapping on the lines, etc.