Avid Elixir CR Disc Brake System

Packed with features!These build onThe Juicy brake line and add newTechnology. A sleek, newly re-designed caliper, plus carbon fiber lever blades, help keepThe weight down. Tool-free pad contact point and lever reach adjustments More powerfulThan Juicy, but with better modulation "Top-loading" design makes brake pad changes a snap Refined G3 series rotor (fits standard 6-boltType hubs) Carbon fiber lever Published weight 375 grams (160mm rotor) Front will include appropriate adaptersTo fit both

Duane R   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2015]
Strength:

They work, sometimes.

Horrible bleed procedure, too many spots in the line for fluid leaks, adjustments at the lever don't make a difference and are difficult to dial in, warble of the caliper on the disc.

In summary, I can't say anything good about these brakes. Probably the worst brakes ever born. They're on my wife's bike, who weighs 110 lbs, and is a tame cross country rider. So, no big stresses put on these brakes. I'm just the one who ends up bleeding/repairing them all the time.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT.
Eduardo   [Oct 29, 2014]
Strength:

These brakes never worked. There was never the amount of power that they should have had and they got worse. After about 400 miles they started squeeking. But the worst was that they stuck. I had three mechanics look at them and none cold unstick them.

By the time I woke up they were out of warranty. I called SRAM told them I bought the bike in 2011 and they were out of warranty but the warranty guy said, "no problem, we'll do you right. But you have to take them to the shop." I did and he told the shop, SRAM would not give me any discount. Seems lame to me. It would be better to just say sorry, Avid brakes were lousy and we can't do anything.

Bad Avid brakes. Bad SRAM support.

OneOnOne   All Mountain Rider [Feb 27, 2014]
Strength:

Good feel, good modulation, controls and rotors look good, adjustable reach is easy to use

calipers look cheap, squeal like a stuck pig when wet

First set of Avid Hydros I have used, not a bad braking system. Very clean look on the handlebars. Performance is good. I haven't had to bleed the system yet, so cant comment on that. I have heard and read that the process is involved to say the least

Similar Products Used: 2013 Shimano XT, Avid BB7 Mechs. Grimeca hydro,
brd4200   Cross Country Rider [Dec 24, 2013]
Strength:

WHEN they work, they work well. Stopping power and modulation is excellent. Adjustable pad reach is a nice feature also. Read some reviews about squealing, but did not have this experience.

Neither the front or rear made it through the warranty period.

The front set was bad right out of the box. I have a couple of Avid bleed kits, since I've been using their brakes for years. The front would not bleed, so was replaced under warranty. The rear made it over 1 year, and then needed to be bled weekly. It was also replaced under warranty.

Brakes serve a pretty important function, it is not comforting when they do not work. I replaced them with Shimano XT. For the record, I have also owned 2 sets of Avid Elixir R, and Juicy 5, and had no issues. Could have just been bad luck with the C/R's.

Similar Products Used: Avid Eixir R - No issues
Avid Juicy 5 - No issues
Shimano XT
erock   All Mountain Rider [May 27, 2013]
Strength:

Anodized parts were a good match.

Weak from day one. Lever failed.

After a season of using these weak brakes they finally failed at the worst possible time. Coming down from my climb they went right to the bar and left me with only the rears to save myself from a painful stop. Took them home and used the $50 bleed kit to see if they just had air in them. Nope. Seal failed in the lever. Pretty disappointed that the pads outlasted the brakes.

Similar Products Used: juicy7, Code, Hope m4, Hope M6
Martin   All Mountain Rider [Oct 21, 2012]
Strength:

Adjustability! braking power! Squealing!

It took me a while to adjust exactly what I wanted but after that everything works just fine! I could set the caliper exactly into the middle but it´s probably not a problem of the caliper :D

Since I don´t ride DH and I ride only FR I had to get brakes that are strong and light and adjustable! I don´t mind the squealing I love it! With original rotor it squeals a lot but it is only because the pads and rotor, with different rotor it´s quiet and the same is if you change the pads. But I love the sound it reminds me of who I am.
If the squealing is only thing you care about then Don´t buy Disc brakes. If you want adjustable brakes buy these! It stops immediately and doesn´t need too much strenght to stop even in higher speeds!

Similar Products Used: Avid elixir 1 2012, Hayes Nine, Hopo mono 6 ti --> I used
Shimano SLX, Shimano XT, Shimano XTR --> I tried
Alberta Dude   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2012]
Strength:

Great stopping power with control. Durable levers as they have seen some crashes! Great 1 finger braking if you got them setup.

Stock pads are noise but stop just fine. Upgraded pads!

Excellent brakes if you upgrade your stock pads!

Similar Products Used: XT, exlir R
Morgan   [Aug 06, 2012]
Strength:

They worked great for a season. Easy to bleed.

Loss of stopping power. Brakes are leaking at lever line, have replaced parts multiple times.

These were great for a season. Bled them a few times with no problems. Started having issues with stopping power, levers felt squishy, noisy, etc... Started to notice leaking where the line mounts to the lever. Replaced line parts multiple times, but still leaking. Lost all pressure in front brake on one ride, continue to have squishy brakes on both. I ride a single speed 29er, brakes are about the only thing I need to work. Have at least 1500 miles on these. Will get Formulas from now on.

hsoverma   [Jul 28, 2012]
Strength:

Easy to adjust, more stopping power than I'll ever use, top of line.

Stock pads can be noisy.

These came on my 2011 Access Hardtail from performance. I had not purchased a mountain bike since 1997 and my old steed finally gave up the ghost. This is the first set of disc brakes I have had so I dont have much to computer to except my old XTR V-Brakes off my 1997 bike. These things have done well, and I found them easy to figure out and adjust. I havent bled them yet nor have I had to change the pads out after over 2100 miles of east-coast singletrack. They were relatively quiet for the first 250 miles but after about the 500 mile mark they just stopped squealing and I havent heard a thing out of them since. The pads are about ready to be replaced and I will probably go for the same pads again. I have couple buddies who have the same brakes and they usually replace the stock pads with organics and dont have any more problems with noise at the sacrifice of longevity. Due to the low maintenance, worry-free performance, ease of adjustment, and the low weight of these brakesets, I give them 4 out of 5.

Granny   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2012]
Strength:

Easy enough to set up. Zero drag, no noise. (Front only)

Adjuster knob forces lever to be mounted about a half inch inside of my lock-on grips, which also forces the shifter module inward. I adjusted the contact point barrel and the adjuster knob for the throw to max and I still can't get as quick an engagement as I want.

I got a great deal on these on Amazon so it's hard to complain. They replace an almost 8 year-old Hayes 9 that with braided steel hose. These are lighter and sexier looking. I really liked the dished washers on the mounting hardware which made for an easy no-disc-drag setup. My only concern is the throw. They offer one-finger stopping but if I did that I'd crush my other fingers because the lever comes too close to the grip!

But, I've only been on one ride. I'll keep playing and see if I can get the engagement point pushed outward. I'd love to give these a 5 flamer overall rating and that's all that's holding me back.