Avid Elixir 7 Disc Brake System

Outfitted with the latest and greatest trickle-down from the Elixir 9s, the Avid Elxir 7 Disc Brake will confidently handle all your stopping duties. Next-gen TaperBore technology provides solid, consistent lever feel and modulation, and saves weight over traditional reservoir systems.MatchMaker compatibility helps you keep your bars cleanLever pivots are placed to offer you the most power and comfort with minimal effortHS1 rotors dump heat and provide smooth, predictable braking

Kwintne   Cross Country Rider [Aug 07, 2014]
Strength:

- Great stopping power
- Accurate
- Adjustable brake lever

- Noisy when wet
- Paint on the brake calipers is coming of a little bit in a couple of spots.

Like the previous review, I am also realy surpiced about all the bad reviews these brakes get!
I used to own a bike with formula oro brakes and those received tons of good reviews, but I can tell you these are a lot better than the oro's. They have great stopping power and are very accurate. Not once did I experience the problems everybody else is talking about. The only thing is they are very noisy when wet. I changed the braking pads last week (after 1 year of intense usage), so I'm curious about the noise now. Overall great brakes.

Similar Products Used: Formula Oro's (2007 model)
Alexios   All Mountain Rider [Mar 01, 2014]
Strength:

unbelievable power
easy adjust
looks great

original pair of pads creating vibration

I found this review page while trying to find information about changing the front hose with a longer one (part compatibility).
I couldn't believe my eyes reading the existing reviews...
I'm an experienced rider, more than 5000 hours on the saddle, half of them in wild center of Athens, but less than 100 in the forests before purchasing my FS 29er.
I weight 120Kg (270) total weight bike and rider and I have a 2012 Camber Comp (same as an other reviewer).
I mostly use it in trails of 15-20% average slope (light downhill). I'm not a racer but I really push as hard as I can and I always record my segment times with a Garmin device so that I always have the need to go faster !!
Well, the braking system (200mm f 180r) is the single, by far, most impressive part of my bike and this is a fact that all my friends have mentioned when they had a ride. Extreme power, perfect feel, bottomless endurance and easy adjust. They are so good that they are almost dangerous. On my first long trip with this bike, which was with a team, I was so confident on huge desenting dirt roads, they simply consider me crazy. Never felt the slightest change after long braking sessions, never asked for more power or control.

Only issue was that after 300 Km a noise and a vibration started coming from the front one after the fisrt 2-3 seconds of braking. I changed the front pads with the rears and problem nearly diappeared but after less than 100Km reappeared. I tried sandind pads which solved the problem but only for about 50Km. So finally pads where worn and I purchased two new organic pairs (cheap chinese) worring that this problem could ruin my rides... But since then and after more than 1000Km brakes are simply perfect !!! So, I simply suggest some experiment with the pads to anyone having similar problems.

stevem9   All Mountain Rider [Oct 11, 2013]
Strength:

Worked okay mostly.

Required frequent bleeding. Required adjusting during rides. Sized during rides

Like the previous review, came on a stock bike. Noisy until organics installed but organics only lasted 5 weeks a set. Then the brakes would seize.

Similar Products Used: Formula and Schimano.
g   Cross Country Rider [Oct 03, 2013]
Strength:

They really are pretty. The white color is cool. Also, the levers are comfortable for me. I don't feel like they're unnatural or uncomfortable to grip.

These are not good brakes. They came on my $3000+ bike and I was expecting some real stopping power. I rode them for a year, simply assuming that my big body (190 lbs.) and the speed that I tend to ride (range from 15-30 mph cross country riding) made them something that I just had to live with... No brakes would really stop me completely. (Stupid, i know, but it was my first time with disk brakes and I just assumed that was part of it... what did I know?) I got on a friend's bike with a different brake system on it and I couldn't believe the braking power. I ordered new brakes the next day.

Also, on 3 separate rides in 1 year, they have seized up on me and required bleeding. (3 times... in one year... and I'm a weekender...wtf?)

From what I hear, they are a huge departure from the Juicy's that they had before... and if you check out the 2014 model of my bike (cannondale carbon flash 29), they replaced them with maguras. Good call.

These are not worth it, if you ask me. If you check the reviews, it seems I'm not alone. I was very disappointed.

stubs   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2013]
Strength:

Lightweight.

Noisy and they arent Shimano XT

These came on my new bike and so far they have been okay I suppose. Not particulary powerful, grabby and noisier than a Turkey farm next to a Pig farm and a Slaughter house. They do look flash though.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT M765 and M785.
Alberto   [Aug 11, 2013]
Strength:

The Elixir 7Sl get stuck when I'm riding the bike.

The worst breaks in the market.

Sean   [Jun 10, 2013]
Strength:

Light weight. They stop well enough.

Squeak HORRIBLY. Calipers will prob need to be rebuilt every year. Burn through break pads. Expensive.

No matter what you do the brake squeak will not go away. It became really embarrassing and annoying. I finally switched out the rotors with Shimano Ice Techs and went to organic pads before the squeak went away. Plan on burning through a lot of brake pads and rebuilding the calipers every year.
SRAM and your LBS are well aware of the problem. Shimano stopped putting them on their bikes and went with Magura.

psuthe   [Mar 09, 2013]
Strength:

They came default on a new bike and I knew the reviews were bad, but I thought I would give them a go before swapping them for XT-785s. These brakes were howlers from the first ride with average braking power and no modulation. Basically, they are complete garbage - especially when considering they cost as much or more than the XT-785s.

Garbage

jparman   Cross Country Rider [Jan 23, 2013]
Strength:

Like the feel of the carbon levers, like the reach adjustment. Bleed is still relatively easy to do and you don't have to do it as often. Very fond of SRAM for taking care of my original brakes/standing behind their product.

They just didn't meet my expectations. Lots less maintenance than their predecessor but...

Received these in 2012 as a warranty replacement for the equivalent 2011 product. I can say that they were much improved interms of maintenance/bleeds, piston retraction/brake drag, etc. Still, I feel like there is much to improve upon. Back in 2003 I bought a Giant NRS 1 w/ Hayes brakes and I had to bleed them exactly 0 times in 3 years and never had to worry about drag/pad retraction or maintenance in general. While they were heavy, they were also quality and instilled confidence in the ride.

Oliver   [Jan 22, 2013]
Strength:

Decent braking power. Nice levers.

Noisy,Vibrate, fade on long downhills.

I would not recommend these. They get the job done but aren't as impressive as competitors brakes. They are insanely noisy once you get them dirty or wet. They also get soft after a few minutes on longer descents.

Nothing terribly wrong with these, but they just aren't worth writing home about.