Avid Elixir 3 Disc Brake System

The Elixir 3 isThe perfect blend of power, performance and value. WithThe same excellent performance as its big brotherThe Elixir CR, The Elixir 3 is a less expensive version with a little added weight.The Elixir 3 featuresTaperBoreTechnology found inThe more expensive brakes offered by Avid. TaperBore refersToThe patent pending closure systemThat shaves weight, looks sleek, and improves lever feedback, and provides ultimate power and control. EnjoyTheTop- loading pad feature. Replace pads w

Greg   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2016]

Constant binding issues

My wife bought a Cannondale Scalpel several years ago with these Avid Elixir 3 brakes. We kept bring it back to the bike shop for "break adjustments" to stop the binding issue. The wheel would almost lock up it got bound so tight in the calipers. I wish the bikes hope would have been up front with us and just replaced them with another brand. This situation has ruined more than a couple of bike rides, some required a long road trip to get there. The bike shop made us feel like it was an adjustment that we weren't doing right. When obviously from this and other reviews, Avid makes poor quality brakes.

shekky   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2015]
Strength:

it is a disc brake
they work very well when they're not squealing

hideous neon yellow color
require constant adjustment, bleeding and pad replacement
howl like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vxlnZ8BihI

these brakes came OEM on my 2011 marin pine mountain, so they're neon yellow to match the bikes 25th anniversary graphics.

the shop didn't bed the pads in properly when they built the bike and didn't bother tell me that i needed to do this when i rode it out of the shop, so they started screeching about twenty five miles in. since i've purchased this bike, it has been nothing but a constant litany of adjustments, bleedings, screechings and howlings from otherwise powerful and effective brakes. this is regardless of how clean i keep my rotors, how many times i've replaced and properly bedded in pads not how many times i've swabbed the pistons with alcohol to clean them so that they'll retract properly.

mind you, when i say "effective and powerful" that these are the first disc brakes i've ever used after many years on vee brakes.

if i were in the market for a bike again and the bike i had my eyes on was equipped with avid elixirs, it would be a deal breaker unless the shop replaced them with something else.

Similar Products Used: none
Dave   [Feb 26, 2015]
Strength:

At least they are Hydro's.

Of/off braking, have to bleed often

These cam stock on my Trek Fuel 7, Since it was new I have had to have them bled several times a year. I have not been impressed.

Nick   [Jul 30, 2014]
Strength:

I found that the avid elixir 3 was a very strong brake

A very hard brake to get to work. burn out way to easy. levers are to long.

great brakes when they work with enough power but getting them to work is the hard part. honestly if anyone was looking at buying these brakes I wouldn't recommend buying them the shimano brakes are so much better.

will   [Mar 27, 2014]
Strength:

good stopping power (when they work), not as much noisy as i thought

had to change discs and take them in to open them up

all in all when they work they're amazing, it's getting them to work that is the key

Michael   [Dec 27, 2013]
Strength:

None would rather have mechincal

no power, levers are to long, needed a bleed after a month. After a month the back brake needed to be pumped 3 times before it would do anything and the lever was bottoming out the entire timeThese came on my new bike and i was running the base line shimano brakes before and these were terrible. So bad that when I got new brakes I took the brakes pads off and threw them away.

Terrible DO NOT BUY V BRAKES ARE BETTER

John   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2013]
Strength:

Good Power, feel solid

Horrible noise

These came stock on my cannondale bike, the first ride out, you could of heard me from anywhere on the mountain. They did what they were supposed to do but man, the noise was way to much. My wife also has these on her cannondale on on her first ride same thing, who needs gps if we get lost because we can just hit our breaks.... I took them back to shop and had the mechanic look at them, he told me that these brakes can be loud. After they tried adjusting them, I took it out on another ride and had the same problem. I'm going to swap them out for the shimano slx. They work well stopping you but you have to be able to put up with the dying cat noise. If this was happening on just one of our bikes it would be 1 thing, but they are screaming on both...

Ryan   All Mountain Rider [Jul 02, 2013]
Strength:

Reasonable power
Better modulation than mechanical disc brakes
Reasonable weight

Came stock on my norco shinobi, left hand clamp was done up so tight that it was impossible to undo to move lever for 1 finger braking.
Spongy lever feel.
Lever return is notchy
Not as much power as any shimano brakes
Awkward to set up with shifters for comfortable 1 finger braking
Much harder to bleed than shimano brakes
Uses dot 4/5.1 fluid rather than paint and skin friendly mineral oil.
Front brake turkey worbles under hard braking.

These came stock on my 2013 norco shinobi, hence why the value rating is not 1 chilli. The lever feel is terrible and power isn't close to shimano slx or xt. I work in a bike shop, so whilst I haven't had these brakes for long enough to require a bleed yet, i know that they're a pain. Compared to slx/xt, these brakes are loud, poorly modulated, underpowered and unreliable. I will be replacing them with shimano slx asap. Would not recommend.

Similar Products Used: Avid elixir 5 and elixir cr (both as awful as elixir 3's), shimano deore, shimano deore xt.
Andrew   [May 21, 2013]
Strength:

these brakes look killer, they do have good stopping power "if you squeeze hard enough", mine have been quiet so far.....

brake lever doesn't feel comfortable, it has to strait of reach. it takes to much pressure to get to the power zone. you have to use a 2 finger method to brake or move them so far inboard that your index finger is at the very end of the lever which moves the shifters out of easy reach.

these came on my new 2013 bike, my old bike (2003) had Shimano Deore discs which are the same price range as these Elixir 3's. I will take the Shimano's hands down !!! I never needed to use 2 fingers with them no matter how fast or how steep. every time I ride my new bike my index fingers hurt for 1 to 2 days.... that's how much force these things require !!!! as soon as I have the money, I will be getting some SLX or XT brakes to replace these.

nate   [Apr 12, 2013]

appearance

embarassing ear piercing squeal
medium power

wow! carefully read reviews on many bikes before i purchased, finally decided on the 2013 trance 29er x1great reviews EXCEPT... you guessed it, elixer 3s. after riding now for just under 20 years, i felt confident in getting the issue addressed.the bike shop was able to temporarily get them quiet( squealout and adj.) , but within 20 miles here came angry pig battalion.i also centered caliper, sanded (AND BEDDED PADS TO AVIDS SPECS)rotor is straight. bike is 2 months old and im hesitant to ride it because of the frustration level. wish i could get at least half of retail and buy some xts. BELIEVE THE REVIEWS! love the bike hate the avid elixer 3s