Avid Code R Disc Brake System

Avid Code R Disc Brake System

You earn your wings by pointing it downhill and hanging on for dear life, not for wrapping your fist around your brake levers and praying. Let the confidence-inducing, hydraulic stopping power from the Avid Code R Disc Brakes be your parachute, should you choose to deploy.Unlike your collarbone, Bend Zone levers fully flex upon impact to prevent a catastrophic breakAvid's G3 Cleansweep rotors dissipate heat allowing you to confidently brake long and hardMatchmaker comparability keeps your handlebars clutter-free (clamps sold separately)

[Oct 10, 2015]
Patrick
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Fairly powerful, with lots of modulation. Easy to work on. Easy to find well-priced replacement parts.

Poor heat management, which lead to loss of power over the course of 10 runs. Rotors were discolored after the first run. Lever pull was very stiff so the pads felt like they dragged for a long time before the pads actually engaged.

These brakes came on my DH bike (a 2015 Kona Operator). I rode these Code R brakes twice, one day on a rental bike and one day on the new bike (Operator) before swapping them out for Shimano Saints. After a day on Saint brakes I felt none of the forearm fatigue or loss of power that I had experienced running the Codes. I understand that these brakes are in the low end of DH specific brakes but I think that the Shimano ZEE brakes, which are in the same price point, are a much better.

Shimano Saint
Shimano XT
Avid Guides

[Jun 14, 2014]
George Rivera
Downhiller

Strength:

The best brakes ever built by man!! Great stopping power and tons of durability

Absolutely none

In my local bikepark sometimes i have to brake really hard over big bumps and no match for this brakes. Even when going from full tilt to dry stop with no effort at all. Absolutely brilliant and no in air or squealing issues, its just smooth and cool haha and for the price is just breath taking, you would be an idiot if you dont buy these (no offense, my veredict)

[Mar 19, 2014]
nathan
Downhiller

Strength:

These brakes are really really good. They are super strong. I have never felt like I need more power. They are fairly easy to set up and get mounted. Easy to adjust etc.... They also look pretty nice.

None that I can contribute 100% to the brakes themselves.

I went from Avid Juicy 5's to these. I ran them for 2 years, with a 203 mm rotor in the front, and a 180mm in the rear. I never had to deal with fading or any other typical brake problems. The ONLY problem I have had, was last summer, broke the front brake lever in a light crash (truly light crash, really not hard lol). That was annoying. I also had the rear brake overheat on me and squeal like a dying cat for half a run. But seeing as I had been riding for 7 hours straight on really technical runs, that's probably not that suprising. Ive replaced the front code R with a brand new full Avid CODE. Ill have to see how that works out. Over all, these brakes are an awesome deal for what they cost. (I only got the CODE because it was on sale).

-juicy 3, juicy 5, avid elixir 5, avid elixir 7

[Mar 02, 2014]
HELLBELLY
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Incredible modulation, easy to set up and service, stupid amounts of power without a "stick in spokes" feel that comes with most "powerful" brakes. Oh, and they are a screaming deal too.

None.

The Avid Code R's (2011 on) have all the pluses of the Codes without the cost, complexity and additional weight. Their modulation rivals the best brakes on the market (XTR trails, Hope M4's) at a fraction of the cost. I have ran a set on several different bikes since buying them three years ago and they work great. I liked them so much I just put another set on my second bike. Now, while they are based around the Elixir taper bore lever/reservoir design they do NOT have any of the Elixir issues (noise, fade, pump). I personally believe they are one of the best kept secrets in mountain bike brake pantheon are again an amazing. Top notch for AM/Trail/DH or riders that actually like brakes that don't suck.

Hayes, Hope, XTR, Magura, Avid (Juicy, Elixirs).

[Nov 11, 2013]
superiorcooking

Strength:

Crazy stopping power
Easy setup
Easy tuning
Sexy look

None.

Perfect brake for a low price and has tons of power.
Upgrade from my previous Hayes Prime Expert and I am loving these.
After I replaced my front brake, even though nothing was wrong in the back, I replaced for another Avid Code R just because it was so amazing.
It's up there with the best.

[Aug 01, 2013]
Ryan Farner
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great price, very strong stopping power, no unwanted noise, strong rotors that can take a beating, out of the box working great.

None that I can think of.

This brake set is all you need for DH/freeride. I have these on my Transition TR250 and haven't had a single problem with them yet. The stopping power is great they have taken a pretty bad impact on the rear rotors and came away fine. Great product!

[Nov 17, 2011]
Gman Jackson

Strength:

INSANE stopping power. Went from Juicy 3 (So a big step up) to these. VERY easy to set up, solid package, and heaps cheaper than the CODE.

None thus far.

These brakes could stop a motorcycle. Immensely powerful, you barely have to feather the blade just to stop, it's crazy.

Juicy 3, Juicy 7, Elixir R

[Oct 09, 2011]
Breal604
Downhiller

Strength:

POWER, solid factory bleed

the stock rotor I got is a boat anchor but you probably have rotors anyway, consider it a spare... and they come with organic pads (also useful as spares) so factor in some sintered pads too

The power increase from other brakes is significant. When I switch from Juicy's on one bike to Code R's on the other bike, it takes a few stops to get used to them. You need to use a lighter touch, but the payoff is tons of power with very little force at the lever.

After one summer on the Code's, I haven't had any issues with fade or inconsistent lever feel on long DH runs. In the past I found Juicy 5's more reliable than the 7's and people seem to blame the contact adjustment, so I avoided it altogether with the Code R's. And saved a few bucks too. Which I then had to spend on sintered pads to replace the stock organic ones.

Cheap, powerful, common parts/pads, and I should mention that they're pretty light to boot (with a good rotor). I think I'll put these on both bikes.

Saint, Juicy, Elixir, XT

[Jan 31, 2011]
darkness777
Downhiller

Strength:

awesome stopping power and the modulation is amazing but it takes some getting used to after using mechanical disc brakes for so long.

These brakes are awesome and i love them i cant wait to get more time on the trail so i can use them more often. i would definately recommend these brakes to others.

Avid BB7 203mm mechanical disc brakes