Avid Code 5 Disc Brake System

• Center-mount adjustable banjo
  • Split Clamp/Matchmaker compatible
  • Drip-free bleeding

John   All Mountain Rider [Apr 08, 2014]
Strength:

Unbelievably powerful brake, that works flawlessly once set up

It's near impossible to put pads into these callipers, the retaining spring that holds them apart always falls out and turns a 30 second job into a 15 minute one. They are nigh on impossible to bleed well too, I spent 4 hours setting them up reasonably, and covered myself in DOT fluid. They also like to bind a tad with new pads, nothing terrible just a pain.
Thay don't have any easily accessible reach adjustment either, which means you spend hours hunting down an allen key that will fit.

Brilliant once set up, but it's almost impossible to get them there.

Similar Products Used: Hayes Stroker Trails, Avid Juicy 7's
Trailsnail   All Mountain Rider [Jul 26, 2013]
Strength:

bites like hell, no fading so far

poor lever design, no options to adjust pressure point etc.,

Can't recommend the brake. It does it's job, but rather like an off/on switch. It bites, is powerfull and does not fade at the end of a long ride down.
BUT
The lack of adjusting options, the poor lever design (it is nearly impossible to reach the screws while the lever is mounted), makes me wish I had my Magura Gustav M back.

Similar Products Used: Magura Gustav M
shaggy55555   Weekend Warrior [Nov 26, 2011]
Strength:

Excellent power and Modulation.

Poor lever Design, delicate and will not function correctly once reassembled. Poor piston Gear and Bevel Gear design, Gears slip when attempting to adjust the pad contact.

Work great when they work. Unfortunately, I have had tons of problems with the levers. Ive decided to toss these for the 2011 codes. Sick of trying to fix them.

Similar Products Used: Avid 7's, XT, Sram XX
Vuco   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2011]
Strength:

- good stopping power and modulation
- almost fade free
- during use (3 months using it on low temps and snow till spring time when its warm and muddy) no problems with it

- weight (?) - ~445g for PM with rotor, Elixir are round 375g, so not much big of a deal
- lever gets loose almost on every brake
- needed a bleed after 2 hard months of use

All in all great brake. Used it in all conditions, cold and warm, rain, mud and snow. I'm 190lbs (87kg) and with a 180mm rotor it stopped me with out a problem. The most fade free brake I rode (have this one descent where all the brakes fadded, but Code 5 showed that they are a DH brake and almost didn't fade at all).

Lever was a little loose, brake pads wear slowly. After 2 months I realized my lever is getting closer to the bars, so the brake needed a bleed. Did it and it was like new.

Also, has enough power like all Avid brakes starting from Juicy 7, Elixir 5/R/CR, maybe a little more than them, but I didn't need that much power. Used the brake with only one finger during 7-8km hard and long descents. Great modulation for an Avid brake.

Similar Products Used: Juicy 3, Shimano SLX, Magura Louise, Juicy 7, Formula RX
sthompson36   Downhiller [Jan 04, 2011]
Strength:

Solid, I smashed the levers through a tree-bush, so-cal, in a really hard crash, pulled chunks of wood out of the lever and was good to go ! Have a shop bleed and replace the pads, if it is done right it'll be strong w/ good pressure sensitivity

When grime and age wear on them it's really hard to change brake pads,adjust/bleed them. The pistons were stuck out on mine, tried everything to get them to unfreeze, took them to a shop and they were able to change the F/R pads, and adjust/bleed the brakes for $60.00. It is well-worth it, buying the pads yourself can cost up to $50.00, and can be complicated to a non-mechanical person.

awesome brakes, strong, reliable, consistent, and worth every dollar

Similar Products Used: A few others
HeadFirst!   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2010]
Strength:

Incredibly strong braking, good modulation, reasonable price

Long hoses, required special bracket for fox f100 rl

I've been building this bike up for a while now, and I have it running pretty fast now...only problem is, I'm 240 pounds, the bike is about 30, and I carry a pretty big 15 pound pack...add all that up and the bb7's weren't stopping me worth a crap! I came to a full stop 10 feet after I wanted to on some faster sections. I know these are downhill brakes, and even had some people scoff at the idea of such huge brakes on a cross country bike... But they were wrong! From day one they were perfect! I use one finger in the front and never felt out of control! I have yet to adjust the lever pull on the rear, so I was squashing my middle finger...should just take some adjusting. I'm not sure what the deal is on some of these reviews knocking these brake's modulation, but they are smooth and easy to feather.

The only problem I had, rather my lbs had, was getting the right bracket for my fork. Apparently fox wasn't very helpful, and the one in the box wasn't the right one. Aside from that, the cables are too long, but I've heard a lot of folks talking about cutting them to fit. Mine are on there without sticking out too far, but I may cut them this winter when I'm bored.

I knew with this purchase that I would not have the pad adjustibility of the Code, and I'll write an update on this review if it becomes a problem later.

Similar Products Used: Hayes bb7, avid elixer
TomK3   Weekend Warrior [Jul 20, 2010]
Strength:

Powerful, excellent modulation

maybe they are heavy if you are a true weight weenie

Hard to imagine that you can beat these for the price.

Similar Products Used: Avid Elixir, HFX 9
Uncle Six Pack   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2010]
Strength:

Very powerful, maybe the strongest brakes I've ever used

hoses are pretty long

Lots of stopping power, like way more than I have ever really used before. Great modulation, fairly maintenance -free.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, Avid Juicy 5, Avid bb7, bb5
alex55   Downhiller [Jun 08, 2010]
Strength:

Ridiculous stopping power, decent modulation, affordable, stealthy looking, 4 piston calipers

hard to change pads(not a big deal), no pad contact adjustment

These brakes are stupid powerful. I know there are probably more powerful brakes out there I really wouldn't need any more power. Big pads and the 4 piston calipers keep them cool and there is no fade to speak of. I weigh about 230 pounds with gear so these have to stop a lot of weight. I can ride full days at winter park or keystone without losing power or worrying about my brakes. They slow me down fast when I need them too and they have pretty decent modulation if you are sensitive with your fingers so I dont have to worry about skidding. If you want pad contact adjustment, get the regular codes. It's not hard to adjust reach.

Similar Products Used: Hayes HFX-9 hd
SLOrider85   Downhiller [May 02, 2010]
Strength:

Stopping Power

Pretty Terrible Modulation

If you are looking for ridiculous stopping power these brakes are them. If you are looking for great modulation I would look elsewhere.

I know that everyone on here raves about the modulation on these but they are really not that great at all. I bought them because of all of the reviews about these having great modulation only to be EXTREMELY dissappointed. In terms of modulation they PALE in comparison to the saint or elixers. They are kind of grabby and are awful as a rear brake, causing the tire to lock often and at inopportune times. I liked my shimano XT's better to be perfectly honest and they were not terrific brakes by any stretch of the imagination.

Please go demo these before buying them! Maybe you will love them, but my guess is you wont. Dont trust all the other reviews. I know its hard to believe me over all the other reviews but seriously give these a second though before buying them, i really wish i had. Now I'm stuck with grabby brakes on my DH bike and that sucks.