Ashima PCB PanCake Brake Disc Brake System

PCB PanCake Brake

Tim   [Jul 26, 2014]
Strength:

They will stop you for about 2 months

They will work for about 2 months

Ordered them new. when i opened the box for the front brake noticed a bit of fluid around the bleed screw. Didn't think anything of it.Installed both brakes and dialed them in. worked well for about 2 months. rear brake started to stick and the front started to loose power. noticed more fluid around the bleed screw on the handle. Went to the Ashima web site for tech info and they list an up grade kit. E-mailed them about it and it took them 4 weeks to get back to me with the answer of no kits available even though the info on their web site was dated 2 years ago. Ordered a bleed kit which is special to those brakes and you pretty much have to take them off the bike to service them. Bleed the front and fluid came out of a crack in the handle. the rear is sticking all the time now. these suck.

Similar Products Used: Advid, Shimano, Hope
Wrath of Kyle   Cross Country Rider [Dec 09, 2013]
Strength:

Light weight, great modulation

Hardware is flimsy, like the bolts and such.

I've been running the PCB brakes for over a year, and I've ridden them all over the west coast, in Moab, Oregon, and Nor-Cal where I am from. I have never had anything but good times with these brakes, they are very light, not terribly expensive if you are patient, and I really like the feel of them. I am mostly a XC rider and I weigh around 200 with gear, and I mainly used them on a Titus racer X.
I think the reason I have had success with these brakes is because I have big hands and I like the levers adjusted pretty far out from the handlebars. These brakes have a different feel to them, it takes more effort to get stopping power from them than other brakes I have tried, including BB7's, juicy's, and elixirs. The modulation is great, the Avids felt like it was either on or off, not much in between. The PCB's you can easily brake just as much as you need. And if you squeeze hard enough you will lock up the wheels. It takes more lever travel to do that tho. I'd be curious to know if the people who have complaints with these brakes and their power are running the levers close to the bars. I would say that these brakes require more lever travel and more effort than other hydros.
Bottom line, these brakes work great for me. I run them on both my bikes. I also have big hands and I run the levers pretty far away from the bar. They are quite light, and I got both my sets for a little over $100 on ebay. If you have big hands and ride mostly cross country I think these brakes are the best. The problems I had were very weak aluminum rotor bolts that stripped, and the plastic housing that holds the levers to the bars broke. But I emailed Ashima and they mailed me new ones right away, no charge either. So they are not perfect, but I prefer them to all other brakes that I have tried.

Brian Krause   [Oct 22, 2012]
Strength:

Brakes are lightweight due to aluminum bolts all over the place, composite lever body and minimalist rotor. Have a torque wrench nearby. They are inexpensive... and you get what you pay for.

Stopping power for a rider weight of 250lbs on a 22lb 29er is completely unacceptable. Impossible to lock up the brakes or even stop safely on pavement. Weak spongy feeling offroad and no chance to brake late into corners. I'm in Michigan so I can't comment on long decents and heating up.

I manage a shop and would not in good conscience recommend these for anyone. My customer was not satisfied and neither am I. They don't even stop effectively for me at 180lbs testing the same customer's 29er. After contacting the distributor that sold us the brakes to discuss warranty/satisfaction, I was told that he could not find any contact info for Ashima and thus can't take them back... yet. We have tried cleaning the rotor and existing pads, replacing the pads, reach/lever adjustments... They simply don't work for me or my customers. Avid Mechanical BB7's are far better than these.

Shaw B&J Bicycles/Hammer Nutrition   [Jun 03, 2012]
Strength:

I like the fact that they do NOT lock up when you touch the lever (like XTR and AVID). I truly believe this has made me smoother and faster! Easy to install. Once you get them dialed in, this brake is hard to beat for the money invested.

A little hard to get dialed in. Aligning to your disc is critical or you will get rub...rub... rub.. You must have a perfectly straight disc to start with. If you have to bleed, it is a little difficult to get every bit of air out (although I did not have the Ashima Bleeding kit).

Great brakes if you wanna improve your corner speed and increase your lap times. Remember, skidding does not mean you are braking properly. These brakes will make sure that you are not locking up your wheels (you can if you really apply pressure). Did I mention that they are SUPER LIGHT too? My brother (expert from Montana) borrowed my bike and it took him about 3 minutes and 6 seconds to get used to them.

Walt   Racer [May 26, 2011]
Strength:

Very light, pretty cheap.

Um, you can't stop. Power is pathetic. "Pancake" is what you'll be when you hit a tree, I guess.

Don't waste your money. These brakes don't work.

Similar Products Used: Avid, Hope, etc.
tinley   Cross Country Rider [Feb 20, 2011]
Strength:

Very light weight

Utter rubbish performance

They stayed on the bike for no longer than the bed in period. Now power at all. They got very hot bedding them in on a flat road. They flex when braking and provide no confidence at all. Thankfully Bicycle World agreed and gave me a full refund.

Similar Products Used: Hope Sole were better! Shimano XT, Hayes HFX, Avid Juicy, Hayes Stroker Trail, Hope X2 Race
tiggersilhouette   Cross Country Rider [Nov 08, 2010]
Strength:

Modulation, stopping power and weight. And looks!

I had to install the brakes upside down as the hydraulic cable comes out from the bottom of the brake and interferes with my XTR shifters. It doesn't affect the performance of the brake at all and will annoy you only if asthetics are very high on your agenda.

Got a demo set from Ashima a little while ago and have been riding them on my race bike since. I'm running a 180 on the front and 160 on the rear (I weight 77kg). The modulation is the best I have ever experienced, including the Formula R1's. The control on technical descents is excellent and the stopping power has meant I've pushed technical descents way beyond what I've done before. The net result is I'm faster and have a bigger smile on my face on my favourite trails! This really is a great brake.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT and Formula R1.