Avid HSX Brake Rotors

Avid HSX Brake Rotors

Avid HSX Disc Brake Rotor is the top-of-the-range rotor offered for any SRAM or Avid disc brake system. Maximum Heat-dissipation and anti-warping properties and two-piece design ensure rock-solid stops in all conditions.

[Jan 03, 2017]
Don

Strength:

A bit pricey, but I find worth the money...

These are the quietest rotors I have used and they are dead straight out of the box. They stay dead straight too.. Excellent power and modulation too. Did I say very quiet? Never squeal. I use 160 mm rotor with TRP Hy/Rd calipers and this setup is da bomb! I am going to set up a second gravel bike the same way. I own a bike shop and have installed lots of rotors and this is the one I recommend for people with noise or warping issues.

[Mar 21, 2014]
Hoolie

Strength:

Look good, stop well, no brake fade

On Hardtail aluminum they resonate through the frame. I think the rivets are the problem. It CAN be adjusted out by playing around with set up, but I am done with these

I have Alligator Wavy rotors for $18 that are silent. These AVID HSX are noisy and vibrate. I don't like them for my set up. I wanted to post review to save someone the hassle. If they work on your bike, great. I have had trouble on 2 frames with resonance (small frame could be the issue). I have had NO problems with squealing like some others, just resonant vibration.

Shimano XT and XTR seem to be great, cheap Magura and ALLIGATOR one piece seem fine

[Dec 05, 2013]
Zachariah
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

~ Lightest, 2-piece floating rotor made
~ Zero noise in all conditions
~ Ultimate heat dissipation
~ Takes extended descents to 11
~ Titanium rotor bolts weighs 7 grams
~ Incredible modulation and stopping bite
~ Better on pad wear, than all the other two-piece rotors
~ Looks the business

~ None

Avid finally got it right, with this fine piece of stopping hardware. They basically took the highly effective HS1 rotor and increased its ability to handle even longer, extended descents without heating-up and warping. It also sheds water very well, as the cross-drilling minimizes squeak.

I've tried ALL the lightest rotors ever made and this rotor simply offers the best combination of positive braking confidence, wear, stopping power, weight, fade resistance with zero noise. Don't compromise your safety, just to save a few grams. Set these up properly and simply IGNORE all the Avid hate out there....

Magura Venti Disc

Scrub Components Race Day
KCNC Razor

[Nov 30, 2013]
Helmetless

Strength:

Excellent braking power
Reasonably light
Nice aesthetics

Heavier then HS1
It wears out quick.

I guess it is pretty much it. Not any lighter than the standard HS1, but braking improvement is notorious. I really really loved the performance at high rates of temperature in relatively long periods of braking, fading simply went away. The only bad thing could be the fact these rotors require a switch to others almost every 2.000 miles or so. But they are worthy. This is like comparing organic pads with metals. Durability is less while fading performance gets better.

[May 28, 2012]
Michal

Strength:

Untrue, extremely quick wear, overhead easily, noisy.

I have bought those because I changes wheels to centerlock. Those rotors are a joke. I got them in original avid box and when I unboxed them that where untrue. Not a little bit but untrue to a level that that required truing. Now I'm using them for a month and about 200km and that are almost gone... I have never seen rotors wear this fast ! My last rotors (also avid) have almost no signs of war after 3 years of use in a heavy AM. The next thing is they make lots of noise when they overhead and they overhead fast. I think that is is one of the worst MTB products that I have came across in like 15 years of rings. On top of this all they are pricey. I'm going to shimano. Avid if you read this you should send me a new pair of rotors because this is not a product that can be used in MTB.

[May 10, 2012]
Paul-Anthony
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Lowers the number of parts for Avid X0 brake assembly on Shimano wheels and help respect the warranty. Lighter then an adaptor with a HS1 brake.

From the box the discs are wavy. Some cross drilled holes not done properly. The worst is that the aluminium carrier is at least 1 mm too inboard. When it's time to adjust the calipers, mine couldn't go inboard enough to make sure that the inner pad doesn't touch the disc. Previously I had HS1 rotors with DT Swiss adaptor. That setup had the tendancy to loose itself but the alignment was fine.

Hope that Avid will correct that issue because they don't worth a penny. The idea is good but the result is far from what I would expect.

Formula Oro Puro, Avid Juicy Seven, Avid Juicy Ultimate, Avid X0 HS1 rotor with DT Swiss adaptor.