Avid Disc Brake Cleansweep G3 Brake Rotors

Avid Disc Brake Cleansweep G3 Brake Rotors

The varying shape of the cutouts greatly improves heat dispensation and produces a smoother braking feel with excellent stopping power.

[May 20, 2012]
C.P.

Strength:

Stops the bike.

Loudest howling rotors ever used

I warped / bent a Hayes 160 on my rear. I needed a new disk asap to ride and the LBS only had the Avid Cleansweeps in stock. Mounted it up and it spun true, not warped, "looks good." After bedding in, the grab was fine, but the noise was horrible. I tried cleaning the thing along with the pads, but still screamed and howled. After 2 months of ignoring it, I gave in and ordered a new Hayes.

My riding buddies will be sad. They liked the howling noise when behind me because it was like a brake light, warning them when I was getting on the brakes. Also works like a horn when you are on someones tail riding the brakes and need to pass.

2 Chilis for value because they are not too expensive, straight and did stop the bike.

1 Chili overall because they are loud as all hell and I ended up having to buy another disk.

[Jun 01, 2011]
John

Strength:

They do stop the bike. This is true.

Awful racket. Terrible turkey warble gobble squalling noise when NEW and DRY!!! OMG!!! STFU ALREADY!!!

This is the SECOND time that I have removed BRAND NEW Avid rotors from a BRAND NEW bike!!! These are the G3 clean sweeps that came with tthe AVID Elixer system , the brake levers are fine. BUT for CRYING out LOUD!! These things don't stop with the noise. Solved the problem by putting on $56/pr XT rotors, especially the rear rotor was extra noisy.
My theory is they don't have enough metal to support the rotor and they start a harmonic noise that just won't go away. No rubbing, they are perfectly true. So it must be a design flaw. Other brands work fine.

Shimano deare rots, XT rotors, aligator rotors, hayes rotors, all superior to avid discs.

[Feb 12, 2011]
Westcoast

Strength:

I purchased the G3 rotor to work with my Shimano XT brakes. I wanted a lighter bolt on replacement for my SM-RT75S rotors. The Avid G3 Cleansweep Rotor 2011 was the best match that I could find for the money.

None that I have found so far, just did a quick test ride, and bedded in the brakes. Dimension wise they are identical to the stock Shimano rotors. No issues out of the box, perfectly true and I tightened the screws to the correct torque in the recommended order.

Bottom line the G3 is a great wave type brake for a reasonable price. They are quiet and stop fine, I'll have more to add after a few rides. They bolt right up, I did loosen the XT calipers to re-center the pads. Very easy to install, it does help to have an inch lb torque wrench. These went on new Easton XC one disc wheels that came true out of the box. The original Shimano rotors stayed on my older wheels so I could have a complete second wheel set.

Shimano SM-RT75S

[Sep 04, 2010]
kuan

Price, came from factory warped

I have four Avid rotors on two bicycles and two out of the four are warped out of the box. The bicycles are rideable and I'm going to ride them out until the end of the season but seriously, 50/50 ain't good. LBS played the he said/she said game and tried to pin it on me. Avid needs to talk with their dealers and establish a fair warranty protocol.

[May 16, 2010]
Doctor_Salazar84

Strength:

It's fairly lightweight.

This rotor was easily bent. This is the noiseiest rotor I've had and I couldnt get it to shut-up. So I called Sram and they sent out a heavy non vented rotor to silence it. It did that task, but it was super heavy.

You should buy anything but avid breaks. The concaved-convexed washers that help square the caliper only complicate things.

Avid Roundagon, Formula RX

[Feb 17, 2010]
Foxman11

Strength:

Great stopping power. Looks great!

I got rid of the V Brakes and switched to the Avid BB7's with these G3 rotors and it was one of the best decisions I made for my bike. Great stopping power and they do look awesome. I got the 185mm. I had the roundegon rotors at the beginning but a friend of mine told me to switch to these, and man was he right. Don't get me wrong, the roundegon's were O.K. but I feel like the stopping power on these discs are way better.
Unfortunate to here what happen to the guy with the "out of true discs" cause I never had that problem with either set. Go out and get them, you won't be disappointed.

Avid Roundegon

[Apr 18, 2009]
mtbman007

Strength:

Looks good, came with new Elixir CR's

Horribly out of true

Like most rotors from Avid, it was warped from the start, and needed truing. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to do so. I have always been able to true the 160 mm rotors in the past. This one was a 185 mm rotor, and I spent all afternoon trying, no luck. I missed out on 2 rides so far this year because of warped Avid rotors. I am a machinist by trade, and I only machine stainless steel at this time. The runout (I used a dial indicator) was terrible, there is no way these would work without rubbing on the brake pads on either side. My guess is that they got too hot in production. When I buy a high-end product I expect that I won't have to "tweak" it myself . But every rotor I've gotten from Avid over the last couple years has been of a poor tolerance, and is not something I would I would send to QC myself.
I used high end wheels with all rotors, and even swapped wheels to make sure it wasn't the hub facing being the problem.
I'm getting rid of these rotors soon and going with another brand. I like the calipers that came with them (Avid Elixir CR's), but I will likely go with another brand entirely because because I'm tired of Avid. I wish I could give all Avid rotors less than one chili.

Avid G2 (also not good), alligator