Shimano XTR V-Brakes Brake System

XTR V-Brakes

xmessenger   [May 20, 2015]
Strength:

Power, modulation, ease of set up, reliability, looks and build quality.

Some may steal in damp conditions but pad choice can affect this. Price

I have these on an early 90s Rocky Mountain Team Comp rigid w/ narrow slicks for city and bike path use. Currently using green Swiss top pads. I am a bit surprised at how they perform considering I have Avid Elixir Trsil9 disks on my ti hardtail. In the dry I can say they are very similar in power with maybe a bit less modulation but that may be due to the pads. I got these used and they have zero play which is a feat considering their complex design. I had XT v on my 94 Kuala and those were plain sloppy with too much play, you could easily wiggle the pads. The XT also rotated on bushings rather than bearings, increasing slop.. I love the smooth tight feel of XTR. This is one component where paying for the upgrade over XT is worth it because it's not just a few grams and prettier, these are far superior.
Bought used from a friend I turned down buying the levers and bought new SD7 levers. They work awesome also. Cheap too.

dj1swp   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2011]
Strength:

lightweight, stopping power, looks

expensive

disc brakes shmisc brakes.these xtrs are light and work great. i have never subscribed to the fact that you need disc brakes because they have better stopping power. as far as im concerned, if you need more stopping power than what v brakes can offer, you are just going too slow.

zlizoli021   Cross Country Rider [Dec 23, 2010]
Strength:

I ride a lot, and it has the perfect soping point.
Use to ride disc brakes, it is ok, but the servising is complicated.
With xtr-s i change brake pads, and cables....

Non

It is perfect to use, and easy.

Similar Products Used: shimano xt...
Not but, xtr-s is better...
Fungoir   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2010]
Strength:

incredible stopping power, lightweight, sexy, no problems

I have had these on two singlespeed set ups and now my 1x9, raced at 6, 12 and 24 hour races and never wanted for stopping power, it seems now when I rock up to races I am the only one with v-brakes, but with these there is no need for disc brakes, even in super muddy courses they have worked a treat. Never had any issue with squeaking and never doubted the power of these brakes.

Bloody Brilliant!!!

Similar Products Used: lx
BokorSolo   Weekend Warrior [Dec 25, 2009]
Strength:

Look awesome. Reliable stopping power in dry conditions, lightweight.

Price (if brand new).

These are a great compliment to my bike. They keep the weight down, they look awesome and the work well with my levers. Everyone now is pretty big on the whole disc thing, but if you are a supporter of the v-brakes, are big on weight savings or a just a retro-grouch, then these are the brakes for you. Ride with the best.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT V-Brakes, Avid SL, Avid Single Digit 5s
jbx tacos   Cross Country Rider [Nov 17, 2009]
Strength:

stops great, looks cool, good mud and tire clearance

heavy, expensive

I love these brakes more than any other I have tried. All the people complaining about squealing need to learn ho wto set up a break pad. Mine rarely make any noise with my red kool-stop pads. I got a great deal with the bike they came on but they are way overpriced when sold alone.

Jason   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2003]

none so far

fantastically good sh*t. Stops every time.

Similar Products Used: XT, disc brakes, lots of roadbikes (ultegra, durace)
Lionel   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2003]
Strength:

Solid stopping power utilizing the full pad instead of a portion of it. Good looks. Easy to maintain.

Like many of the other reviews when I first started using it there was that annoying squeal and I immediately thought of getting some after market pads, instead I took the bike to the tallest steepest hill I could find, putting the brakes to the test. They squealled for the first 10 meters then smartened up. I have not had any squeals since.

These brakes are worth the money. The stopping power is impressive, and the overall design well thought out. Once the squeal was lost there was a smile on my face! A solid 5 on both accounts.

Similar Products Used: Avids, which served me well.
Greg Horn   [May 28, 2003]
Strength:

(This is the 2003 model)
Quite powerful, they're v-brakes (they require virtually no maintenance), and the aesthetic scheme of 03 XTR is is, though I wouldn't usally say this about bicycle components, beautiful. Pad-to-rim clearance is easily adjusted by simply turning two screws. When paired with good levers, the modulation is impressive, being able to feather the rim at a wide range of intensity. If they're slammed on, they bring the machine to an immediate halt.
I can't say much about durability or perseverance yet, since I haven't had them for too long and I haven't ravaged them.

The Avid Ultimates are nearly half the weight of these, but that dosen't really bother me. They emit a tad of rubbing noise while partially engaged, but I think that can be remedied by some adjustment.

A very nice product. If you don't feel like dealing with disc brakes, I very much reccomend these. 5 for value since I didn't pay for them. 5 for quality.

Similar Products Used: Cheap Promax brakes that were standard on my bike.
dan   Racer [Sep 07, 2003]
Strength:

great stoping power...enough to make my frame flex

pads are really hard on your rims suggest changing...i broke my front xtr's pin off (the pinn that the spring pushes against) but that was from hard riding.

these are some of the most powerful brakes i have ever used..just i suggest you change your pads before you damage your rims