Shimano XT V Brake System

XT V

Shimano XT V-Brakes

Andre Gallant   [May 15, 2012]
Strength:

They provide consistent stopping power.

For the price, could be lighter

To pay more than the cost of LX, they had better be lighter, work better and/ or last longer. I don't know about the last longer, but they are a bit lighter. And if they work better, I can't really tell. but they do work well. Good brakes, maybe not quite worth the added cost over LX. But the jump to XTR is too big for me to consider.

Houseinthewoodsbiketours   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2011]
Strength:

Superlight and strong, parallel pull with great stopping power. Koolstop makes great replacement pads.

As rim brakes, they lose power when the rim gets wet.

If you can find them somewhere, these old school brakes are the next best thing to disk brakes. Newer XT brakes aren't parallel-pull (XTR is though, I think), so make sure they are parallel pull to get the best mechanism. I have used these brakes for thousands of miles and they still have tons of stopping power. I suppose XTR from the same era would be good too, but I think they were essentially the same as XT.

Similar Products Used: 2008 XT V brakes, cantis, Elixir R
Shawn   Cross Country Rider [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

Strong braking.

Squealing that makes you want to crash rather than stop yourself while having to hear it.

First of all, I know the idea is that these brakes keep the pad parallel with the rim surface. I'm not sure why this makes a difference. Doesn't it only matter that the pad is parallel when its contacting the rim surface? I think its more a gimmic than anything else. But regardless, I don't have a problem with the braking power these brakes provide. Very strong stops without much effort. It's the squeal these things make while doing it that's killing me.
I work on my own bike 99% of the time. These brakes made me break down and bring it to a bike shop to have them set up. New pads, new wheels, pro setup... made no difference. Front set squeeled as soon as I picked it up, and back set was quiet for about 20 minutes, then back to that same squeal. And man, it's not a quiet squeal either. You could almost compare it to one of those air horns they use at football games.
Also, and less importantly, these things are coated with some kind of clear coating, which have yellowed and is now flaking off. Doesn't affect their performance, but it looks nasty.
I've been very happy with everything else I own by Shimano, but these things you need to avoid. I think I paid around $60 for these things, which ain't all that cheap. I'd keep them if it weren't for the sound they make, but when you don't want to use the brakes because of noise, its time for a new set.
I am buying Avid Single Digit Ti brakes today. If any of you who are already deaf want a set of brakes cheap, mine will be on EBay tonight.

Shawn   Cross Country Rider [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

Strong braking.

K!ll*Joy*One   Cross Country Rider [Jun 02, 2003]
Strength:

Shimano XT v-brakes are very easy to adjust, their side tension adjustments use a 2mm hex head screw instead of a phillips head= easy...nice detail, and have incredible linear force

Shimano provides very disturbing brake pads for these v-brakes. They deteriorated noticeably on my first ride with these pads on the lower Merrill-Echo Mountain-Sunset Ridge single track loop...gouges where a surprise on my rear brakes. These pads were loud, maybe its the material they use? I dont know why a company like Shimano cant dedicate some R&D on some decent "Shimano" pads.

The problem that most peolple seem to be having with this v-brake is the noise. I solved my problem with a simple solution: Koolstop V-brake pad inserts, AC brake booster and some adjustment savvy. The Koolstops are key and the toe-in should be directed more towards the opposite end of the "angle tip" of the pad. Once the pad's "angle tip" and opposite end meets the sidewall evenly then your adjustment is 98% complete. Now adjust the tension screws to have the pads symetrically even distance from the rim's sidewall surface and you are done! It worked for me and I am now a happy rider with some silently nice stopping potential. I give 5 enchiladas for value ($28 a v-brake) and 4 enchiladas because they were close...but not close enough with their substandard "Piccolo Pete" brake pads!

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX v-brakes
K!ll*Joy*One   Cross Country Rider [Jun 02, 2003]

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX v-brakes
Kimo   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2003]
Strength:

Trick looking. Solid caliper arms.

Just like "Richard's" review below my front brakes squeal like crazy. Back are okay....go figure.

I'm not a total believer in these "parallel-push" brakes. Sure, it sounds good in theory but my old Avids performed just like these and with NO SQUEAL! The only reason I continue to use these is because I wasted my hard, earned bucks on this set up. If I can get rid of the squealing I'd rate these "5" but with the squeal I'll give it a "3".

Similar Products Used: Avid single digit
Richard   Racer [May 23, 2003]
Strength:

None really, for me the cheap deore v-brake actually works much better

Squeeel! Couldn't make them quiet. Switched back to my old deores (these are quiet) because I felt embarressed when using these brakes. Also asked at a local bikeshop and they told me it's a known problem with these brakes. Shimano also admits to this in their online faq. They say: certain combinations of rim and fork will produce squeel. But they don't specify what rims and forks exactly. The solution they offer is to use some special sort of brakepads which they also sell. I prefer to use my old brakes which were always quiet no matter what pads I used.

The rear brake works fine by the way, go figure...

waste of money for me as I am not using these brakes anymore.

Similar Products Used: Shimano deore v-brakes
Kevin T   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2003]
Strength:

Look nice, feel nice, stop on a dime with pretty good modulation for v-brakes (when used with the xt levers)

Hrmm...instructions could have mentioned what the adjusting blocks in the levers are for. They went so far as to put warning tags on the front lever and caliper to be familiar with the braking after removing them before riding...you would think at least a mention in the docs would be appropriate. =)

As others mention, if they aren't setup right, they WILL squeal. Here's how I adjusted mine, took all of about a minute per pad:

1) Loosen the pad retaining nut just enough so the pad can move, but not "flop around".

2) Line the bottom edge of the braking surface of the pad as close to the inner edge of the rim braking surface as possible (with the pad in line and not going past the braking surface)

3) Put a nickel between the back of the pad and the rim and squeeze the brake lever.

4) Tighten the pad retaining nut.

5) Adjust tension screws to even out the pad to rim clearance on both sides.

5) Ride..if it squeaks, go back to 1.

If you can't or aren't willing to adjust parts on your bike then find a good wrench and have them done right. These are a great deal and well worth the money.

Similar Products Used: ProMax stock shiznit.
David Waters   Cross Country Rider [Feb 09, 2004]
Strength:

Very good braking power. I like the parallel linkage, keeps the blocks square to the rim.I got a very good price

Fiddly to set up. Front brake squeals when light pressure is applied.

This review is for the 2004 shimano deore xt brake calipers ONLY.

I paid £50UK (so my estimeated price in $ is likely to be very wayward) I think that for the part this is a very good price. I found these brakes a little fiddly to set up, especially getting the front toed in correctly. I think this is possibly the reason for the squealing when light pressure is applied. TThese brakes are very very powerful. Well worth the £50 that I paid for front and rear calipers.

Would buy again.

Similar Products Used: stx-rc, LX, various stock components.