Pro Max V Brake System

Pro Max V-Brake

[Feb 17, 2015]
MudSnow
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Promax TX-120 with the red cartridge pads are a great looking set that works great. The levers are well made and don't rattle. The pads are very grippy and have a LOT of stopping power.

no weaknesses compared to other v-brakes

Promax TX-120 with the red cartridge pads are the best v-brake set that I have ever had. The levers have a firm fit with the bushings so that they move smoothly and don't rattle. The pads are have a lot of grip from day one and still grip and stop great three years later.

I also really like the grey metallic paint job. It is a nice change from black or silver and looks great on my Cannondale. I paid only about $45 for the whole set, but they are a dozen times better than any standard equipment I have ever seen, and a lot better looking than the Avid brakes I was also looking at.

I installed these on a Cannondale MTB that I have built for touring and commuting. The pads stop well even on rainy days, and I have used them during mountain descents of over 45 mph. I will definitely use them again on my next build.

[Mar 24, 2011]
jesterz99

Strength:

Came on bike, work fine. stop fine.

As an ex=bmx racer i didnt really use my brakes, as an older mtb rider they work great, in rain , mud . etc...

I think alot of people dont know how to ride , I would probably agree they may not be for downhill , but as a brake system they work fine.

Feather your brakes learn how to use them , I go nuts and never worried about my braking !!!!!

[Feb 27, 2011]
abaris

Strength:

Bought them to upgrade a really old bike and They Suck! Remove the Modulator noodle and they still Suck!

They add weight to a brake-less bike

They Suck!! Put the orginals back on!!!

SRAM

[Nov 20, 2009]
Bud Nilsson

All Bicycle brakes need upgrade for max safety!

ABS brake system for bicycles !

www.budbrake.com

[Mar 22, 2009]
wirehead

So, this is a popular brake to have on a low-end hybrid or XC bike. And, you know what, I cyclecommuted with these brakes through rainstorms and descended mountains and rode offroad and stuff. We're not talking about blowing up in a mushroom cloud the second you hit the brakes or anything.

About the biggest and most annoying property of them is that the torsion spring holding the arm down has a habit of popping off whenever you pop the noodle off to get your tires off. I never tried to adjust them, I left that to the bike shop.

On the other hand, once you've ridden the bike long enough to wear down the brake pads.... if you compare the cost of a decent set of V-brakes... say the Avid SD7's that I replaced 'em with... to the cost of getting a good set of brake pads when the pads that come with the break wear out... maybe it's not the world's worst idea to upgrade... and it's not like you need anything other than a pair of pliers and the multi-tool you already have for emergencies to change it out.

But then you say, "Self, why the heck am I replacing brakes. We're talking about a piece of machined metal with springs and screws in the right places. The whole point of V-brakes is that they are dead-simple. Sure, somebody can make *lighter* brakes, but can they make *better* brakes?"

So, in order to save you the angst of trying to answer that question, sight unseen, I'll answer it for you. If you look at the Avid SD7 next to this set of brakes, it's not like the Avid is made of some exotic alloy or is radically different in shape and form... I'm guessing maybe the geometry is different so it responds to the brake levers a little differently... or maybe just the brake pads are a better formula... but somehow there's just not a whole lot of braking power, even when you really squeeze the levers. So I'm swapping 'em out one-at-a-time and discover that with a Pro Max in front and a SD7 in back... the back brake is suddenly a lot more powerful than the front brake.

So, that's the bottom line. It's just a cheap OEM brake that bike makers can use to shave a few bucks off the purchase price of a bike that your average person isn't going to notice. Not bad enough to merit a recall, not unsafe enough to actually hurt somebody, but clearly not a very good set of brakes. If you are stingy like me, you can probably make do just fine with them, but once the pads are worn down (took me about 2300 miles) it's time to just toss the works and get some better V-brakes. There is a notable performance difference between these and the SD7's I got because everybody reviewing 'em here was singing their praises.

Avid Single Digit 7

[Jun 26, 2008]
thrilla gorilla

Strength:

last long great all weather

when wet leave black residue

these people cant use brakes for crap, ive had mine for two years! two bikes with same brakes! ive got a mini chopper that goes 50 and thes brakes and pads stop me dead in my tracks. i have to be carefull not to slam the fronts,
my buddy has promax and they do the same thing they scare you! no matter what all v brakes usually rub.
i recomend these brakes to anybody who likes great brakes for an even better price. a tip for users with a bad time with thes brakes are you aware thet your supposed to break in your pads before use? not imediatly go down a hill an see if they stop you

[Jul 02, 2003]
William

Strength:

came on bike

noisy-crummy pads

Worked ok at first, but became very noisy,adjusting pads didn't help. Put on $5 Rockwerks pads (off center stud type)toed in the pads and adjusted the cable only, I now have quiet brakes, and did a nose wheely the first time I tried them. One thing I've found is that when I keep my bike indoors 70*F they squealed very badly until they waemed up (85-90*f around here),they still squealed but not as bad.So if you live in a cool climate that may be part of the problem. I don't know if thay'll stay quiet, but right now they're working fine.

[Jun 26, 2003]
Jon Songster

Strength:

Umm Lets see... If you are coasting on level pavement on a warm sunney day they could help to slow you down

I have spent the last year trying to "adjust" these pieces of crap. NO amount of cleaning, tunning, tweeking, or adjusting will help these sorry excuses for brakes. The sucky levers (especially the rear) hardly ever retract, they squeel when they are wet, are a pain to adjust and they just overal suck

These brakes are on a ton of bikes, they are ok at first but before you know it you will be trying new brake pads, screwing with the tensions, cleaning the cables, and asking yourself why you bought a bike with crapy ass brakes on them. I hope this company stops making this junk or goes out of business

oldschool center pull brakes (they were even better then this crap)

[Aug 24, 2003]
Cory Reppen

Strength:

Cheap

flex and sqeal

cheap brakes that will work for a while, but will eventually squally and you will be adjusting them constantly...

[Aug 29, 2003]
Big Bad Chad

Strength:

Cheap, solid

Pads

These brakes are very useable. All you need to do is upgrade the pads and these brakes are good enough for most riding styles. They do come out of adjustment more than pricier setups, but other than that they will do you just fine. TIP...keep your brake cables greased up and your brakes will "feel" much better.

avid, shimano, power tools