Performance TOPO V-brake Brake System

Performance TOPO V-brake Brake System

Performance TOPO V-brake

[Sep 16, 2002]
Steve

Strength:

Cheap, complete system, minimal moving parts --> easy to set up

Stock pads are terrible

I got these as a complete set back in May. They were part of a rebuild/upgrade of my older bike so it would perform better. After everything was said and done, I went out to test everything, and I immediately noticed the huge increase in stopping power over my old Alivio cantilevers. However, when I hit the trail for the first time with them (nothing big, just some fair singletrack), I hit a patch of damp sand, which stuck to my rims, and the stock pads immediately picked this crap up, and held on to it. For the next hour or so, it sounded like I was grinding bare metal on metal. I didn't even ride the bike again until I put on two new sets of Kool-Stop V-type replacement pads, what a difference. I looked at the old pads, and there was sand and small pebbles (!!!) embedded into them!

Overall, these are a great, cheap set up as long as you replace the stock pads. If you're looking for a cheap replacement/upgrade from older or inferior brakes, go for these, I doubt you'll be dissappointed.

[Nov 21, 2003]
Curtis

Strength:

Light weight, easy to install, CHEAP!!

Pads, cables, and housing are crappy

Overall this is a good deal on a brakeset. Simple design makes it easy to set up. Accesories listed above aren't the best, but I wouldn't expect them to be for a $30 package! I'm only 155 lbs during the summer, the topos are plenty to control most midwestern descents. Buy them if your budget is tight, or you just want to save money. If you need serious stopping power, spend more on a higher quality brakeset, or try disc. You get what you pay for after all.

xt v-brakes

[May 24, 2001]
brad

Strength:

light weight, strong stopping power, cheap cheap cheap!!! has a nice design and style. bought one for my rear wheel, left the front canti and the system works well. the rear topo rarely squeals when wet and retains it's effective stopping power. simple adjustments and simple installation. the corresponding lever that i bought with the brake is strong and requires little effort for a large return.

none, so far, that i can tell after 2 years of use.

i am about 195 lbs. and this brake does the trick. the pads have yet to wear down, although i did blow out my knee last season, so they didn't see as much work as they have this year. the topo brake line is very inexpensive and is perfect for the middle level biker wanting to upgrade for relatively little money. i love these brakes and will continue to use them as long as i can.

shimano canti's, V-brakes, tektro quartz

[Feb 26, 2001]
ed welty

Strength:

cheap, strong, no squeal at all.

look below

These were my first v brakes and i love them. they react quick, easy to set up and tinker with.

one problem:
you cant really use a booster with them. if you want to pull more cable through the bolt to tighten your brakes after the cable flexes, you must take your brake booster off to get the bolt. this sucks when you are swapping wheels and need to re adjust the brakes.

cantis

[Feb 18, 2000]
Ben-Jammin

Strength:

Cheap, light, simple, effective

Bought these as my first set of V-brakes. I have a set on both bikes now. Can't beat the price, easy to set up, few moving parts (unlike Shimano!), lighter than XTR!

They flat out work. No squealing!

LX, XT, XTR, Avid 1.0 and 2.0

[Sep 16, 2000]
Murray Michael

Strength:

Price- paid 50.00 for brakes, levers, and cables. Ease of installation and setup. Work great and don't squeal. Lightwieght.

Have not found any yet. Haven't tried them in wet muddy conditions yet.

I bought a kit(V-brakes, levers, and cables) for $50.00 and they work great and were easy to install and setup. I recommend these over Shimano LX for price and performance. I haven't used them in wet or muddy conditions so they may have weaknesses that I haven't found yet, but I doubt it. Can't go wrong if your a non-racer who doesn't have to spend $200.00 dollars on brakes just so he or she can brag or show off to buddies!

Avid SD20 with Shimano LX levers.

[Apr 24, 2002]
Glen

Strength:

Good total package price

Brake pads too hard

I bought this based on reading the few good reviews listed so far. Components are good quality and installed easily. But the hard brake pads ate up my Mavic rims! They didn't squeal but they GROWLED! Sounded like letting your disk brake pads go on your car... I ordered a set of Koolstop Blacks to replace them. Night and Day. Maybe they changed or had a bad batch in the rubber mix?

Koolstop Black