Paul Components Motolite Linear Pull Brake System

Motolite Linear Pull

The Motolite is here to stay. The design of this product is so nearly perfect that there is no foreseeable reason to ever change it.

The pivot mechanism has an excellent track record (first used in 1990), the quick-release (releasing the cable for wheel changes) works so well, and is so simple the only reason it isn't widely copied is because Shimano doesn't use it, and it is so easy to set up.

The arms are reversible so the cable can come in from the left or right, and the noodle is lined with Teflon for smooth action.

Matthias   [Jan 18, 2015]
Strength:

Solid mechanical design, no corners cut, great finish, very high stiffness, hard anodized aluminum, excellent bearing design, easy to adjust, Braking is incredible, perfect modulation and stopping power. Can easily lock front and rear wheel on my Cannondale Killer V if I want to.

They sound a bit expensive at first, but you get what you pay for.
I don't understand why they should be difficult to set. They a breeze to set up. Spring tension, position of pad, height of pad holder on brake lever. If one cannot set this brake up, they should go to a QUALIFIED bicycle shop. I love these brakes!
If these brakes don't work on your bike, maybe your frame or fork is not stiff enough.

mwv   [May 14, 2013]
Strength:

Adjustability, braking power

I don't understand the noodle design, seems it could be greatly improved on. Maybe I am missing something.

I have never set up a set of rim brakes of any kind in my life and I didn't really have any problems with it at all. It's pretty straight forward for anyone with mechanical aptitude. While I understand the complaint about needing a wrench I found it surprisingly easy to get tuned with one. I just wish it came with a different noodle design.

Stu   Racer [Mar 30, 2012]
Strength:

CNC

Aluminum is soft. Can gouge it easily

The guy who earlier said it was easy to set up, but then put in parentheses that it took him AN HOUR to setup, is a total moron. Congratulations, you just won first prize for dumbest post of the century. No V-brake should ever take more than 5 mins, and that probably includes taking it out of the box.

There has been endless mention about how finicky the initial setup is. I agree, and that's because for whatever reason, Paul does not have the centering slot that a 2mm allen key would fit into it, like Shimano or Sram. You have to loosen the spring, then GUESS the tension, tighten it, and hope that the brake pads are now evenly centered. If not, repeat. Often. THAT IS THE MAJOR GRIPE with the setup, and something the poster from Earth wrote many posts below, who at least gave us the reason why this was setup was tedious, instead of basically everyone just saying, "it's a hassle to setup initially". At least that dude educated the masses. And yes, you do need a cone wrench to hold the spring down, unless you're Superman (a few posts below) who was able to do it with his hands (sorry, but you're in the minority, since most of us get pleasured by a woman, not by your own right hand). Ever see how big a cone wrench is? Good, because you'll be having to carry that since no mini-tool has one.

Similar Products Used: From both the big "S"
My2coins   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2011]
Strength:

These are strong and very adjustable. You can swap washers for wider seatstays and / or more leverage. There's also room to move up or down to get the pads to make flat contact. I rode these for the first time and almost forgot they weren't discs. One finger no problem!

None so far

These brakes are great. There are lots of good brakes out there to choose from but these have been and are as good as anything non disk you're going to find.
I really don't understand all the complaints about the difficulty getting these adjusted.
Just to prove it to myself, and you all, I decided to see if I could adjust them well enough to ride using just a 5mm allen and my hands. No problem took all of two minutes to loosen the fixing bolt which releases the spring tension, and then re adjust the springs, on both brakes.
The key is that you need to loosen the fixing bolt and then set the spring and yes it is way easier with a small adjustable or in my case an original "COOL TOOL" to get the springs dead even but they don't need to be dead even to pull you to a dead stop! By hand the tension can be too light for some levers so using tools is the way to go. There should be no reason to have to adjust these while on a ride but if you ever do, you should be prepared to work on any part of your bike. Especially if you plan to leave the parking area.

Similar Products Used: Xtr vbrakes, Avid tri align, dia compe, ritchey, XT canti, Scott pedersen S/E, pretty mcuch all the old school names.
GT_4_Ever   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2011]
Strength:

Awesome braking, smooth as butter

Difficult to set up

Amazing brakes, incredible workmanship great stopping power smooth as butter and a work of art. Now setting these babies up takes a bit of time. It is quite simple but let me deatil a couple of things that I ran into. 1) Make sure the brake studs are firmly tight as adjusting these puts greater turn force on studs. 2) The coil tension springs are not multi directional they have a specific whay of being placed so that they tighted in when box nuts are expanded outward. If you place them wrong they will not exert the correct outward force. That said they are actually quite simple to set up and offer countless set up options.

Similar Products Used: XTR V-brake
Carl Williams   Cross Country Rider [Oct 15, 2010]
Strength:

Stopping power

Setup

Setup, as mentioned repeatedly in these reviews, is a major hassle. Unlike Avid or Shimano brakes (tighten them with a 5mm wrench and center the pads with the screws on the sides, taking all of a few seconds), the Pauls require you to guess the spring tension by doing and undoing the springs. If you ever have adjusted the old cup and cone hubs, you'll know exactly what I mean. The worst part is having to use a cone wrench - and since most cone wrenches won't fit inside a small saddle pack when, for instance, a Topeak Alien will, you have to carry it in a jersey pocket in case of roadside adjustments. It makes no sense why any rim brake requires a cone wrench to center the pads when Shimano/Avid have simplified the design ten-fold. This isn't good ol' fashion Paul bashing for the sake of it- read the previous reviews and you'll see many folks complain about the set-up.

Similar Products Used: Shimano/Avid
251   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2009]
Strength:

Easy setup, easy adjustment and very powerful. The Motolites with Pauls levers also have a great feel that is superior to any Avid or Shimano setup I've used (including discs). Replacement parts are also very easy to get from Pauls.

Expensive. Ships with non-cartridge Kool Stop pads. I would prefer to pay less and supply my own pads, especially considering the included pads are not ceramic-rim specific.

Well worth the expense. These are the best v-brakes I've used.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX, XT, XTR v-brakes, Avid Single Digit 7.
REvers   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2009]
Strength:

Good modulation, light, adjustability of spring action.
Incredible stopping power.

None.

Not cheap, but well worth the money. Once setup (might take an hour or so), very easy to adjust spring action.

Brakes have been in use daily in Norway (muddy, wet and rocky conditions), as well as in Spain - dry, very fast and steep downhill sections. Never felt any lack of stopping power.

Must have brakes.

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR V-brakes
Joyitas   Racer [Feb 03, 2009]
Strength:

power, feel, weight

to me none, adjusting if you´re stupid

There are the most powerful v bakes i ever tried, more than my xtr´s. They´re just excellent.
Contaray to most, I find them easy to adjust, you have to be real dum in order not to be able to adjut them properly.
Even easier than regular v-brakes.
Incredible performance and dzign.

Similar Products Used: avid sd, avid mag, avid ti, avid sl, shamono xtr, xt, tektro magnesium
MJM   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2003]
Strength:

Very strong and powerful. Light. Swank.

I have used Paul brakes from the beginning, when Paul worked out of a little shop in his backyard. When I got my Cannondale frame I also got a XTR groupe, so I put the XTR brakes on the frame. They were good but made a ton of noise, no matter what I did I couldn't get it to go away, so I went to Paul. When I put the Pauls on I noticed two things, first NO noise, second the stopping power. The stopping power was stronger than XTR, and just as progressive and easy to control.
Others have complained about the difficulty of the set up, while they are a little harder to set-up than XTR, but not much, you only have to set them up once. So get these brakes, practice a little patience, put them on your bike and be very very happy with them!!!Now shut-up and ride!

Similar Products Used: XTR and XT linear pull.