Magura Tomac DH Brake System

Tomac DH

Magura Tomac DH

celly   cross-country rider [Sep 27, 1998]

I bought the HS-33 Quicksilvers after much prodding (can you say peer pressure?) from many regulars on this site. I had been using V-brakes (both Avid and XTR) for over a year and they seemed to serve me fine. Then I started using them in muddy conditions. Can you say...SQUEAL? What made me finally switch to Maguras was after doing a LONG descent in very wet conditions with my XTRS. They worked OK, squealed like hell, but my hands were tired as hell afterwards. Big Dave sorta said I toldya so once again.I ordered a set of the Quicksilvers and Big Dave himself installed them for me. I ahd real bad luck on the first two rides with them. First one I crashed and the red adjusted knob fell off. Then next ride I crashed again and smashed the entire lever assembly on the left side.Enter master PR man from Magura, the famous Thorsten. He had provided Big Dave with some replacement parts for an earlier group ride and in no time, I was up and running with an old HS-22 lever. The Thorsten sends me a brand new lever assembly at his expense. Can you say...CUSTOMER SERVICE?OK, how are the brakes?First of all. don't let anyone tell you they're too heavy. I honestly didn't notice the weight penalty. I'm more for performance than weight savings.And these babies perform. You'll hear the word modulation thrown over and over again when discussing Maguras and they have it. Modulation is all about control, and I have way more control now when I brake. You get even, consistent braking all through the lever. You feel like you're about to skid and let off just a bit. I never had that much control with v's.And people say they're expensive. I got my set for $180 from Kalo, and I heard they're even cheaper now. Front and rear, with levers for $180 isn't bad. Especially when you'll have the best rim brakes on the planet installed.Get a set. You won't be disappointed.

John   downhiller [Sep 23, 1998]

Excellent brakes with great power. Terrific modulation and I can always stop on a hill sooner than my friend who has XTR V's. It is a little tough to un-mount the wheels sometimes, but that is liveable. The weight difference from XTR V's is almost neglegable. The pads wear really well.

James Leader   racer [Mar 31, 1998]

Terrible, no where near as much power as my XTR V's. Having 2 bikes one with Magura DH's and the other with XTR V's, I can pretty much kill my self with the Magura'z. Not rated at all, save your self a £150 and buy some LX V's. To DIE 4.

Brad Bray   cross-country rider [Mar 13, 1998]

There is as big of a performance difference between these brakes and V-brakes as V-brakes are to the traditional cantelever items.
They are powerful,
They are absolutely not affected by weather.
They are 100% maintenance free.
They are quite (no squeals and no RATTLES)
They are adjustable.
They compensate for tweaked rims.
Pads are durable.
Pad replacement is idiot proof.The only viable reason for using another brake is that clearance can be tight. Regardless they a worthy item.

Gabeman   cross-country rider [Jul 16, 1997]

I have the Johhny T maguras, and they work very well. They are pretty easy to set up and adjust, and they stop very well. I upgraded from LX cantis, but I have also tried friend's XTR V brakes: basically, V brakes make it easier to lock up your wheels with less force, but Maguras slow you down better. I like 'em. Also, the hydraulics lines can't get filled with grit and muck like cables can, and the brakes never develop slop like V's.

Blackmore   Weekend Warrior [Oct 03, 1999]
Strength:

Zero maintenance, always dependable.

Fiddly setup, very tight clearance w. wheels, especially if you have slight misalignment of wheels. Also, you have to take one side of brake off to get wheels off (no biggie w. quick release, but you can easily loose the little washer that comes w. brakes).

Actually got these when I was doing a lot of city riding in Copenhagen, later Boston and NY, and wanted to be able to stop before I turned into a hood ornament in wet weather. Also had had a lot of trouble with wear of brake pads, constant re-adjustment etc. of ordinary side-pulls. My C500 is now going into retirement - everything on it is shot to hell after four tough all-year seasons. The only thing that I will be transferring are the Mag's - with the original pads. Except for the paintwork I think these things are indestructable. And always dependable in any terrain any day.

Similar Products Used: Vs, XTs, LXs
Nathan   Downhiller [Sep 18, 1999]
Strength:

Frigging powerful kick ass for trials and sending my freinds over the handlebars when they are used to V Brakes!

Brake Boosters are good but are easily bent!

Brilliant Brakes! Buy them if you have the money!
Beats the hell out of V-Brakes

Similar Products Used: Top quality V-brakes
Paul Knox   Weekend Warrior [May 23, 1999]
Strength:

Very Powerful, loads of modulation, great in the wet, look really nice, 1 finger stopping power

Tricky to set up at first, not much clearance with tyre

Awesome brakes, gives me loads of confidence scrubbing speed off with one one finger when negotiating fast trails, great for wheelies and rolling endos, all round wonder brakes, i suggest you go get em!!

Similar Products Used: M600 V Brakes
Joe   Cross-Country Rider [May 19, 1999]
Strength:

POWER!! Sexy looks!! Not to expensive!! Great Customer service..

Weight is shit.. i went from a set of Dia-Compe U-brakes to these babys!Unless you got your sponsor buying everything for you, don't complain! it is nothing!

I ride BMX a lot ... and these are AMAZING! i can stay on top of a pipe and not worry about these giving out... front fakey - NO probs .. wheel grabs are easy ... everything is made SO much easier with these babys! They get a fat 5 flaming Turd action!!