Magura Raceline D Brake System

Magura Raceline D

Scott   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 05, 1999]
Strength:

Great modulation
No squeal
Smooth lever, beats V's hands down

Powdercoating chips and logos wear off

Great customer service, no problems with setup since preassembled. A little concerned about durability, since after only a few rides, finish chips way too easily. Should have been made out of anodized alloy or material similar to Shim's XTR

Similar Products Used: XTR, LX
Lee Lau   cross-country rider [Sep 25, 1998]

I'm only giving it 4 stars but, to me, that's an excellent review. I rarely 5 star anything and give out plenty of 3 stars to good products; 4 star to me is excellent. I can't think of anything I've given 5 stars to.North Shore rider; mainly DH-style trials; very challenging terrain - steeps and deeps etc. On a hardtail bike ridden year-round in mud, snow etc. Run them on Mavic 217 Ceramics and I've had them for 4 months now, minimum time really to give a product a good testing. Compared mainly to other brake systems I've tested and used (DX cantis, LX cantis, Onza cantis, XT-V's, Avid V's)Overall, the Magura Racelines are the best brakes I've ever had.Pros = Superior modulation (use a booster on rear); comparable braking power to others, maintenance free, pads last a long time. No stiction in braking system. Customer service from Magura USA sets industry standard for responsiveness and timeliness.Cons = Durability of brake lever for Shore riding is questionable; two broken levers in four months; sheared at clamp from crash impact; bike lands almost directly on ground after botched drop-in, lever is delibrately not fastened tight on bar but due to nature and direction of impact, sheers. Suggest greater reinforcement - is this just a North Shore thing?Durability of brake line is acceptable - one broken line in 4 months.I like the brakes and the customer service from Magura USA so much I'm considering getting the brakes for a dedicated XC hardtail I will turn over every year.

Andrew Sleath   cross-country rider [Sep 25, 1998]

I think these brakes r amazing!!!!!!1 They work brill and they stop you dead. I rode on my friend's bike and they wore amazing even in the wet and they stop even better in the dry. I am so glad i got these and i cannot feel the weight.
Thaank you ha

D. Yorga   weekend warrior [Jul 18, 1997]

For me there is no question. I love the modulation, feel and total stopping power avaiable. I purchased the Racelins D's and have never incured any problems. They are maintance free and extremely durable.I have tried v brakes and I do not like them. For out and out power they are almost equal to the D's but for feel they are lacking. An all or nothing kind of power and the squealing is very tiresome.I do recomend a brake booster unless your frame is ultra stiff as I had bent each rear stay out about 1/4 of an inch and had to bend them back to fit the brake booster.

SB   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 05, 1999]
Strength:

Modulation, power, looks, lack of maintenance.

Paint chips off brake boosters. Shrink wrap in tube fitting kit will not shrink with a hairdryer.

Great brakes. they take a long time to install, but it's not that hard. The cheap paint on the brake booster pisses me off a little bit though. On my first ride they impressed me with their overall feel. They felt so high quality, no grit, positive return, really really smooth. I don't think anyone would notice the weight at all really. Durability and performance mean more then grams.

Similar Products Used: Tektro V's, Alivio Cantis.
Luke   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2000]
Strength:

* Excellent braking power - don't squeeze too hard!
* Simple to adjust
* Have never needed bleeding (knock on wood)
* A snap to replace pads
* No wet-weather fade

* Eats rims for dinner
* Modulation is an acquired skill
* Does not sit quite right with my Shimano trigger-shifters.
* Heavier than V-Brakes.

An excellent brake. Aside from the fact that it eats rims perhaps faster than other rims, it's really worth it. Brakes are important in these wet-weather biking conditions here in the Vancouver area. These are a good choice, even if they are a bit expensive.

If you live in a drier environment, V-Brakes would be cheaper and lighter.