Magura HS66 Brake System

Magura HS66 Brake System

Fully hydraulic rim brake system with a 16mm diameter master piston and two 14mm diameter slave pistons. Aluminium brake lever with colourless anodised aluminium lever blade.

[Dec 22, 2001]
Sasquatch

Strength:

Easy set-up, modulation...

um......no Tomac red

I put these on my cross bike. The modulation is sweet just like the venerable HS-33s. I don't know why these aren't used more on cross bikes. Set-up is a snap, power is available any time. They do weigh about 200g more for calipers/line/levers/pads

[Feb 02, 2001]
Klaus zu Klampen

Strength:

great modulation, lots of power, well-defined point at which you begin to grip

I've got two left hands, so I would leave maintenance to the shop (so far they look them over and needn't do a thing)

When I had this bike built, I weighed 200 pounds plus, and planned on travelling with luggage. My old bike had tektro brakes, and downhill it took me about 200 m to stop.
With the HS 66 that is no problem, I can stop almost on a penny and brake precicely as strong as I want. Even in the rain it takes just half a wheel's turn and the pads grip.
For me the biggest advantage is that the brake levers are in the form for roadracing, ideal for a bike which is ridden on the road and on dirt roads and paths.
I have two different wheelset for the bike, narrow (7/8inch) and broad, and the brake fits both with just the turn of a screw. Even I can do that.
The brake levers cannot be combined with the modern ways of brakegrip shifters, neither Shimano mtb nor the road (Ergopower). I solved this difficulty by installing cross shifters (Campa) on cut-down spinacci.

For a trecking bike they are ideal. I wouldn't change them for the world.

Tektro V-brake

[Apr 19, 2004]
Chris Wilby

Strength:

Modulation, no fade on braking
Maintenance free

Heavier than other systems. Can be difficult to fit front lamp. The brake boosters are subject to rusting.
Don't use the dry brakes in the wet. If your weather system is predominently wet, use the wet weather pads.

Excellant.

No problems.

Cantilever cable brakes

[Mar 30, 2002]
Carl

Strength:

Awsome stopping power!
Little maintainance

expencive, but what the hell, it's your life you can save,
..or your bike.

Very good stopping power, I'm happy to use these brakes.
Specialy since I like riding with drop-bars. There is no alternative, yet, but I will keep using this Magura's.
I have plans switching to a Rohloff speedhub, so I will have some difficulties in building the shifter on the bar.
Heared that Norwid (also Germany) have a nice solution.

HS22

[Aug 27, 2002]
Lucas

Strength:

Soooooo smoth, you wont believe it.
Very high quality

None so far

Best rim brakes out there. Unfortunately it takes a little time to adjust the pads correctly (I have special braze-ons for my Maguras). The braking power is enormous - you actually have to be careful not to pull those levers to hard, because you'll bend your fork or frame. 110% maintenance free. The pads are actually clicked in place on a special ball-and-socket joint which means that the pads are in full contact with the rim walls all the time - also when the pads start to wear down. I've done some touring in USA (15000 km) and calculated that one set of brakepads will serve you at least 50000 km (only if you are touring).

Weinmann and other bad rim brakes.

[Nov 26, 2002]
Scott Mitchell

Strength:

Powerfull braking system.
Easy pad adjustment, very simple method of pad replacement.
Long service interviles if any {18000 before I bled the system.
Great control and feel under heavy braking conditions
Very long pad life.
Exelent support online via Magura Website.

No real problems to date.

If you are serious about your touring, commuting and want to spend more time enjoying the open road, then these little gems are for you. Pay attention to setup and simple maintanace and they will give you years of quality service.Spare parts are easily had and all the advice and tips you will ever need are at the Magura website. Upgrades are possible also.
Once the setup is complete you only have to worry about changing your brake pads. This is a simple process made easier with the choice of four compounds to choose from, for all applications.
There are no cables to rust,stretch,fray at the ends,bushings to wear, just smooth and confident stopping power.
When it comes to simplicity/reliability and fantastic long term value for money, Magura is the only name that comes to mind.

XT canti