Magura HS33 Brake System

Magura HS33 Brake System

No compromise fully hydraulic rim brake system with a 14mm diameter master piston and two 14mm diameter slave pistons. This makes the HS 33 series approximately 25% more powerful than the other rim brake models. Aluminium brake lever with forged 2-finger lever blade and integrated on the go turbo pad wear adjuster.

[Feb 04, 2014]
Fasterjason

Strength:

Excellent modulation, good stopping power, longevity, best rim brake ever

Unable to use on newer frames w/o canti-studs. Not the easiest set-up the first time you do it.

I bought my first set in 95 and still use one on my 26" fixie, second set in 2000 and still use on my 26" SS with good success racing. Bought a third set last year for use on an older GT trials bike. I do run disc brakes on my 29" SS and full suspension.

Modulation is great for riding wheelies, trials and not skidding on descents. Pads are available, affordable and last a good while. Wide pad spacing allows for lower tolerance in the rim being true.

With little change over 20 years, I would say it is rim brake perfection.

[Nov 11, 2013]
lebikerboy

Strength:

Provides "almost" disc brake power when discs can't be used.

Don't work quite as well as discs especially in the wet.

This rear HS33 2013 version replaced a set of first generation HS33 Quicksilvers.
The new version has a radial master cylinder which provides a ton of power. I use
the grey ceramic pads with Mavic X517 ceramic rims and the results are outstanding!
Bottom line, if your frame isn't capable of rear discs as my '93 Blizzard wasn't these are
a great alternative.

[Aug 29, 2012]
Frodo1
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

The best cantilever brakes ever. Feeling almost like a good disc brake. Strength like a weaker but good disc brake. Very user friendly.

NON, considering that it can of cause not compete with a really good disc brake

The best cantilever brakes ever. These brakes wrote history. Today I would go for good disc brakes (I am happy with my Louise BAT). If you want to upgrade your cantilevers / V-brakes go for the HS-33! Stronger than any mechanical disc brake I know. I had these brakes on my first bike for 5 years ... in the last century ;)

Shimano XTR V-brake

[Jun 14, 2011]
brettsportler

Strength:

there are only a few products one could say that they changed a sport-this is probably one of them.

time moves on...

I´ve been a huge fan of this brake (or the preceding RaceLine-Brake, respectively) for many years, starting somewhere in the years following John Tomac first riding these...However, I feel that in 2011 there are better choices: for those of you looking for a rim brake for whatever reason, you will find cheaper and more reliable "normal" rim brakes (such as SD7 with good pads). And for the big rest of you, get something like Avids BB7 which will cost you the same and offer A LOT (sic!) more power. Don´t believe what enthusiasts will tell you on this brake, even when using it in optimal conditions (that is clean, good rims, good pads, no rain), you´ll be far from a well set up disc brake...

All in all, too expensive, too weak for 2011...

Avid SD7 Rim brakes, Avid BB7 disc brakes (both mechanical)

[Dec 16, 2009]
ligfiets

Strength:

When new, more stopping power than regular rim brake. Easy replacement of brake pads

Reliability, durability.

Combines the weak points of a rim brake with weak points of a disk brake. You have the more complex hydraulics and rim damage but not the stopping power. After some two years most of the stopping power was gone; they are hard to service and can fail just as unexpected as a mechanical brake. Maybe they last longer if you do a lot of maintenance, but it's nothing for a 365 day/yr bicycle.

[Mar 09, 2009]
feeal

Strength:

awsome stopping power, cooler than Steve McQueen, no maintenance so far, , , easy to change pads, confidence boosting performance rain or shine!

like any rim brake, heavy mud can be a little awkward, just scrapes from the mud build up, they still stop you fine.

the whole bike cost me £157 and i couldn't by the brake levers for that. I'm well chuffed. The hs33's are the most awsome part of a beautiful bike, they stop you, and nothing stops them doing that. gotta love the bar mounted adjustment.

a variety of v-brakes and a few rides on disc equipped mtbs

[Oct 09, 2008]
SIMKE

Strength:

Good,soft feeling on levers, very strong in braking,look.

Tricky to set up,to heavy for XC, if not set properly lack of streng.

Used them every where, on dry, rain, mud. Mud blocked me only once, on Bansko Brdo. When you set them up properly, they are great. But as the pads start to wear out i hed to set them to often, sometimes after 2 or 3 rides. And it is pain in the ass to set them up corectly. They where also to heavy for my tipe of riding, so i changed them and bought me self a pair of new
XT Vbrakes. Strenght of braking is about the same, but bike is much lighter now, and im vory free of constantly seting the brakes.

V-brakes, HFX9

[Aug 30, 2008]
BicycleGod.com
Downhiller

Strength:

Incredible stopping power. I ride these brakes on the rear of my urban/skateprk rig. Also on the front and rear of my Trials bike. Cannot recommend them highly enough

Inexperienced riders may find them difficult to setup initally. I did not have this problem!

If you want rim brakes instead of discs. There is NO better brake on the market. FACT

Avid, Shimano, Hayes.

[Jun 29, 2008]
harley foord

Strength:

good one finger brakeing grips really good than the alps cable brakes easy to set up gooes good withn the magura brake boosters too.

dont grip to good in the wet but then again why would you ride trials in the wet

good brake to use and great for trials

monty 219 alp cable brakes

[Jun 16, 2003]
Andy

Strength:

great stopping power and modulation, look cool.

the levers suck

These brakes work great, much more power than V's especially in the wet.Set up is more difficult than V's or Avid Mech discs but it's not a big deal.I would give five flames if the levers were better.One broke in a weak pansy-ass crash and the replacement broke during installation.The other broke when hitting a bridge railing at very low speed.I know, if I didn't crash they wouldn't break but my old XT levers took five years of much worse abuse and are still working.A friend has some other aftermarket levers that I don't think are made any more, and has no problems, if I can find some these brakes will be back on my hardtail in a flash.Buy these for XC maybe, but not if you ride hard.

xt and avid v's, avid mech discs