Magura Classic HS-22 Brake System

Classic HS-22

Magura Classic HS-22

Brett   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2007]
Strength:

Powerful braking, reliability

I built my first Giant NRS with Magura HS-22 brakes in 1998. I rode the bike hard for 5 years and it is still used regularly by friends coming to visit. In all that time, never a single braking problem. 100% hassle free. I put full XTR on my new bike and have had to replace the disk pads repeatedly as well as replace the disk itself. The Magura set up is both cheaper and much more reliable. Highly recommended V brake.

Similar Products Used: XTR disk brakes
Bill   cross-country rider [Nov 14, 1998]

Anybody who thinks V-Brakes are as good as Maguras just doesn't know what they're talking about! V-brakes are easier to pull, but for over all power Maguras rule!!!!!
Also, if you run the brake booster without a washer on the opposite side of the quick release it performs excellent, and tire removal is a breeze! Seriously, try it! The booster pushes side to side, so it will never slide forward off the bolt.

Gilbert   cross-country rider [Sep 18, 1998]

I have this set of Maguras on my trials bike. They are really nice brakes. They work well, and have amazing power. (I can see my fork legs and seat stays bend outward when I really lay on the pressure.) The really nice thing about maguras is that they are easier to set up and tune than traditional brakes (v's or canti's.) Once the brakes are installed, there is no worry about the fluid. Adjusting the pads is a breeze compared to v-brakes. I have been strongly considering purchasing them for my XC bike. (Of course, Shimano made it difficult for me by integrating my brake levers with my shift pods. Makig me need to buy new shift pods if I want to switch.) The only minor drawback to these brakes is that they are a little heavy, and need different cable mounts. Other than that, I can't see why you wouldn't want them. They truly are amazing.

anton   cross-country rider [Sep 17, 1998]

I always heard great things about these brakes so I got a pair a few years ago. I was all exited when I got them and went to start putting them on. Can you say PAIN IN THE ASS ! I knew you could. These things have to be the worst part on your bike to install, if they say its easy, they are wrong. Plan on at least 3 or 4 hours to get them dialed in if you haven't done it before. I finally got them on and went for a ride, what I expected was awesome braking power, well I was really dissapointed. Braking was better than canti's but not killer like I expected. So I lived w/ them for awhile. When my buddy got V's on his bike I was really jealous, his braking was waaaay better than mine. SO I
started building a new bike and when It came time to install my old mags, I started by bleeding them, what a fricken mess ! I finally got that done and started to install the rest and adjust everything. About 2 hours in I was so fed up with this system I went out and bought a set of XT v's, I got back from LBS and set them up in less than 1/2 hour, and the braking was waaay better than I EVER got w/ my maguras. IF YOU ARE TRYING TO DECIDE WHICH TO GET, GO WITH THE V BRAKES, THEY OFFER BRAKING THATS AT LEAST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN MAGURAS AND THEY ARE WAAAAAAY EASIER TO INSTALL.

ride_guy   [Mar 27, 1998]

These brakes rock. The only problem that i HAD with them was the levers. Since i purcased them last year i have replaced them with TWP lever and am extremly happy.this 50 mword or more thing is really stupid so. bla bla bal bla bla bla lb alb alb but they still ROCK

Roger Graves   cross-country rider [Mar 17, 1998]

I bought my 96 Proflex beast and it came stock with mag's. I am very happy with the unreal stopping power and the smoothness in which they work. From the infamous Kamikasi in Mammoth to XC riding you can't beat them for the money.Buy them now. I give them 5 chili's

Aaron   weekend warrior [May 20, 1998]

Hot damn! I've had these brakes for about 3 weeks now, and will never go back. Back Where?...Crappy DiaCompe crapola v-brakes. I was always fiddling/adjusting/cursing those things. Now with my Maguras, they're on and STAY on with no worries.
I suggest having a bike shop install them for you - AND HAVE THEM TELL YOU HOW TO ADJUST THEM! If you don't know how to tweak them, you'll get very frustrated.

Hardy   weekend warrior [Oct 24, 1997]

Used to ride the LX-cantis on my 1991 Beast of the East: No Power at all !!!
Upgraded to Magura HS22 Race Line: top quality, never failed, maximum Power, never had problems,

Gerd Wittmacher   weekend warrior [Jan 09, 1997]

I've got Maguras fitted to my GT Zaskar and to my recumbent. The brakes perform
superb on both. Modulation and brake performance is just excelent and there is
no maintenance to be done. Pad wear is also ok (I am using the original black
pads with Mavic SUB rims). I've never experianced any oil leaks.
Compared to V-brakes, which some of my mates run, it is very silent and smooth
in operation. Since I don't want spend my time trying to stop the brakes from
squeaking, for me the HS22 is well worth the money. For me this is the best
system on the market. Just fit it and forget about maintanance. Changing brake
pads is a piece of cake.
If you've got older HS22 try to get hold of the T-blades. I've upgraded my
HS22 Blue with them, and they feel and look even better.
See you out there in the dirt!

brandt wysocki   Cross Country Rider [Nov 10, 2000]
Strength:

strongest rim brake period, once set up, a well thought up, well engineered brake kicks some ass!

levers too big, go to cambria bike and get altek levers they have a thumb adjuster, for fine tuning. those levers are much more "V" lever like... cannot be used without the magura booster or you will break off the brake boss and your seatstays wont twist other than that..the prouduct kicks ass!!!!

dial it in use the boosters front and rear get the altek levers, and you will not need dick breaks $$$$$ dick is rich