Dia-Compe 747 V-brakes Brake System

Dia-Compe 747 V-brakes

Byron Ames   cross-country rider [Oct 01, 1998]

I was thinking about getting a pair of these for my wife's bike. She has some old Scott Self-Energizing brakes (mush) that desperately need a change. I'm glad I found this site first. I will definitely forego the deal I found and save my cash for another brand. Interesting that the reviews were generally good at first, but now contain the word, SUCK more than anything else.

Tony D   cross-country rider [Mar 26, 1998]

First off, all V-brakes get minus one chilli due to the lack of a quick release. Plus one chilli for the 747s is the ability to run regular pads No parallel push, minus one chilli. I put these on my 2nd bike and have compared them side by side x/my XTs (both w/Avid 2.0s and Aztec teflon cables). I find the breaking power comparable. They ARE a bit harder to set-up than the XTs were, but if you have some experience, they aren't difficult. One tip, set them up as far out on the brake post as possible, this provides more leverage for the arms. The plastic parts do look cheap, but overall, I like the look of the arms better than the XTs. Bottom line, great stopping power if set up right, cheap price. No parallel push but the can run standard, longer lasting pads.

Per Herlev   weekend warrior [Jul 09, 1997]

My Marin Bear Valley '97 came equipped with these brakes. They have great stopping power and are very easy to maintain and adjust.
Greate brakes

cronan   cross-country rider [May 20, 1998]

once these brakes are dialed in they work fine, problem is, ya gotta dial them in every post-ride, sometimes evenduring the ride. my buddy says he has no problems now that he's installed brake boosters. i often find that i can pull the rear brake lever back to the bar after an hour or so of up and down single track. the front brake stays in pretty good shape, perhaps b/c of the shorter cable length?

Tom   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2000]
Strength:

A small improvement over cantilevers.

Everything! Difficult to adjust, mushy, poor spring design, flexy, and so on.

I wouldn't piss on these brakes if they were on fire (usually saved for enemies, but hey, if the shoe fits...). I bought these brakes as a set-front, rear, levers, and thought I was getting a decent deal. Boy was I ever WRONG! These brakes are so bad that I dug out my OLD SKOOL Dia Compe X-1s, that stop like a demon compared to these abominations of aluminum casting. I will never buy a Dia Compe product again. I can't give less than one flamin'chili, so that's the lowest I can go.

Similar Products Used: Dia Compe cantilevers (X-1), Shimano cantilevers (XT,LX, Alivio)
barbie   Downhiller [Aug 19, 1999]
Strength:

everything !!!

nothing

it s the best

Similar Products Used: shimano xt
Morgan Hanson   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 07, 1999]
Strength:

None - literally, they bend like their plastic

Everything

Bought the 'hopper for my girlfrind who's new to MTB's. Pretty good spec for the price only let down by these brakes which are frankly a joke. You can't center them with out one side dragging immediately afterwards, the pads are impossible to adjust and they flex like crazy. In combination with the equally crapy DP7 levers youd be better off riding into a tree than trying to stop using these. I complained to the shop we bought the bike from and they in turn complained to SBC WHO HAVE AGREED TO UPGRADE THE BRAKES at minimal cost (£5) to Avid 10. If these brakes came on a new bike COMPLAIN and ask for an upgrade, SBC are definetly aware of this problem

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX
Avid 10,25,50
pete jansen   weekend warrior [Dec 24, 1998]

the best there are i think this one of teh eikhf lbflke ejflbhfelk jfjjfkj,ed hshsb jjj jjj kdjdjdld ldkdldlld fdjfofojf kdkjdk dlksfkf dldhlkfh lafsj
fnjjfj hjfjfj jfjfjfjf jfjfjjfjf fjjfjfjfjfjjfjf fsa;fasj fsafsj;asfjfsj;lfasjf ;lfsajjfs;lf ;f j s;lflfjlslfsl;asfj

Studly Do Rite   cross-country rider [Oct 21, 1998]

I found these little horrors on my bike SBC Rockhopper, worked OK better than Canti's although very quickly started to deteriorate. Managed to find a fool I mean friend who wanted V'S sold them for £15 and the bought some XT V's which despite what anyone says I believe are superb.
Avoid Dia-Compe brakes full Stop (well not quite if you use them no Pun intended)
Cheers Studly!

nate   cross-country rider [Aug 20, 1998]

These brakes suck...don't buy them, pay extra for LX's. they suck, they suck, they suck...unless you have half an hour to adjust them before every ride and in the middle of your ride. don't get them...less than one chili. f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f