Dia-Compe 737 V-brakes Brake System

Dia-Compe 737 V-brakes

[Apr 09, 1999]
ed
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Very light
good modulation

doesn't center worth a ?@##@

These are going for dirt cheap at supergo right now. I just got mine a few days ago. They are easy to install and seem to have excellent mudulation. But they need constant adjustment. They seem to have a little friction or something when under the spring load which makes for inconsistent pressure. The end result is that you need to give the adjuster screws a turn quite often. But what do you expect for $25.00. The good news is that the handles brake and levers are quite light and they work damn well. a major improvement over ANY cantilever system and as good as any v brakes costing over twice as much. The rubbing is hardley noticeable but if you are a perfectionist these brakes will drive you crazy. I have actually adjusted them and then pulled the brake four or five times and they are out of adjustment again. No big deal though. four chilies because they are light and cheap and work better than I expected for the price.

Tektro v-brakes
LX Cantilevers

[Apr 06, 1999]
ZACH WENTZEL
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

THEY STOP.

IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO GET THE SPRING TENSION CORRECT AND EVEN THEN IT DIDN'T LAST. THEY KEPT RUBBING ON MY RIM.

THEY MAY BE INEXPENSIVE, BUT SPEND THE EXTRA FEW BUCKS AND GET SHIMANO'S.

[Oct 01, 1998]
Sean
downhiller

This brakes are awesome! I am very light (90 lbs) but I ride very hard, and I haven't had a single problem with these brakes. They are lacking in the modulation department a bit, but other than that the action can't get any better
I got these brakes on my 98' FSR and they rule!
Five Chillies

[Mar 30, 1998]
Manuel
weekend warrior

The DCs came stock on my Gary Fisher and I love them.
These are the first linear pull brakes that I own, so I cannot compare to other brands, but they are powerfull, much, much easier to tune than centerpulls, and have given me six months worth of dependable stopping power with minimal servicing.
I have not had any problems with bits braking or not being able to conter them, though I did lube them when I bought the bike. After this first thourough lubbing I just drop oil in the cables about once a month and ajusted the cable once due to cable stretching and pad wear.
I ride all year long, including winter, and the pads do get harder with the cold, but stopping power and modulation are still enough and increadibly better than my old centerpulls.
The pads are going at a reasonable rate given that I use the bike to commute everyday on top of the occasional off-road ridding on weekends. They should last some six months more.
I find the DCs very good, and given their price when bought separately, an exceptional value for price.
, and the Shimano's m

[Jul 18, 1997]
Marcus Schorpp
cross-country rider

Good performance with my Marin Muir Woods bike, but lousy spring housing.
When adjusting, you should not take out the screw too much, otherwise it
will be stucked between the screw and the housing...giving some power to the
screw when putting the screw back ...yes, it breaks the housing.
Solutions:
1. either release the breakes cable (e.g. as you do when taking out the wheel) when adjusting...takes time
2. Get a new housing from your supplier...there are new ones which seem to be
more stable (more metal around the screw, harder material)

[Nov 05, 1997]
Chris Raiti
weekend warrior

I Love these brakes, they were easy to install and adjust, using simple logic and the easy to read included instructions, about fifty bucks, and two hours later my bike has an incredibly controllable yet powerful braking system. My first ride on them was in 2 of snow, not one problem, flawless. Outstanding performance and value.

[Oct 26, 1997]
Matt Windell
cross-country rider

I bought these because they were cheap. They work well when adjusted properly. Unfortunently, getting them to center is impossible. I may try lubing them up real well like the last poster did and see what happens. I am getting a new bike with Avids though. Three stars because they work and are cheap. If they were only a little easier to adjust I could give them four.

[Oct 19, 1997]
Phil...
cross-country rider

My Spec. RockHopper (97) came stock with 727's (same as 737, minus the rubber accordian things). When they are adjusted they work great. However, they have proven to be the hardest *$#@! things to get adjusted right. Getting the pads centered is the problem. It seems nearly imposable to get them to balance properly, so one pad is always closer to the wheel than the other. Finally, after fighting them for about a month, I tore them down (for the umpteenth time) and lubed the pivots with some light teflon grease (the same stuff I use on my Susp. fork). Now they balance. Apearently they were sticking...???
Otherwise, they stopped very positively, much better than any cantilever types I have used (Shimano LX. or Tektro RBP). So far they havn't let me down since I got them adjusted, and lubed right.
Since I currently have faith in them, I will give them a four instead of a three...

[Mar 12, 2001]
Geir

Strength:

Well, I guess they were cheap.

I had all the same problems as the other folks here. Stock pads wear down quickly. Brakes need adjustment constantly, which is quite a hazzle since the brakes are hard to adjust. The final nail in the coffin came when the spring housing broke.

These brakes are cheap, but the quality is VERY poor. Go for something else.

[Apr 16, 2000]
Tom

Strength:

Improvement over cantilevers
Levers are ergo-friendly

A pain to keep adjusted
Not as powerful as advertised!

If you're into adjusting and cussing, these brakes are for you! However, they are a power-improvement over cantilevers.

LX cantilevers