Control Tech Brake Brake System

Control Tech

[Jan 09, 1997]
scooter
cross-country rider

Well, I've got the Control Tech 'Side-Pull Cantilever Brakes', aka V-brakes. After finally getting them on my bike and getting in a number of rides in a number of conditions, I can say I really like 'em. I had some trouble at first because of a rim width problem on my front fork -the bosses were too close together to allow adequate clearance with the pads installed unless the brakes were set outrageously wide ('wing' brakes instead of V brakes :)). I subsequently noticed a review in Mountain Bike Fiction where they had the same problem -they used LX pads instead of the supplied Cool Stops to solve. Well, I didn't go that route -I used the situation as a great excuse to build up a new wheel using a different rim -so I had a Sun CR17A radially laced to a Machine Tech Hub and ended up really happy (and somewhat broke). The Sun being a tad bit slimmer works fine -However I had to break down for vanity's sake and get a rear wheel to match, so this 'brake upgrade' ended up being more of a 'bike upgrade'. OK, so how do they work? They're (like most any V brake) VERY powerful. Moderate single-finger pressure will lock them up. I'm using Kooka Racha V levers and the modulation is excellent -very controllable (See my review on these levers). These are poor man's disc brakes. They work well even in sloppy pudding mud conditions -from a stopping standpoint. Mud clearance on all V brakes is a problem. The plastic bushings will last forever (I've seen them on other machinery -very tough) and require no attention at all. The springs are linear Ti wire type, and are the easist I've ever found to balance. (make sure to locktite the little adjuster set screws. They make no noise at all with the Cool Stop pads, however you make some noise when you launch yourself over the bars with them on the first ride. There is, other than stacking the washers/spacers on one side or the other of the arm, no pad 'clearance' adjustment independant of moving the whole arm (mentioned earlier), which may not be a problem for most. some positives are that they can easily be configured to have the cable pull from either side, and there is no paralleling bit -these things are about as simple as it gets. They come with (mostly) trick Ti hardware and they're cool looking. I paid under $50 each at my local shop and I'd buy them again.

[Oct 05, 2001]
Mark Turner

Strength:

Light - 230g with 2 travel agents instead of noodles
Simple - easy to set up & dial in
Strong - these brakes will lock-up both tires
Service - Controtech service rocks. Lots of extras

None to report

Light brake with solid performance. With the travel agent, these brakes are still lighter than the competition and have more modulation. After 3 years of use I had to replace springs and bushings ($25). They are all good.

SRAM
Shimano

[Oct 25, 1999]
john

Strength:

neg

weak & scary

yeee, keep these away from me....

control tech seatpost---scary!xt
xtr
etc.

[Mar 31, 1999]
John-Bob the bucktooth redneck
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Light easy to install, stiff

Ti hardware
Not compatible with boosters

I first bought the brake for the rear of my bike. I installed it and the sucker felt awful. Seems that there was so much power in the brake I could squeeze the lever all the way to the bar by making the stays flex out. Switched it with my AR 50 for the front and the extra stiffness of the Manitou helps keep this puppy super powerful. I dont like the idea af Ti hardware though, I heard it broke really easy. Oh well. 5 flaming cow pies for surperior power

LX V-brave
Avid Arch Rival 50

[Jan 03, 1999]
David
cross-country rider

I didn't want to go with the Shimano brakes when they first came out because of their price. Instead, I picked these up for about $30 per wheel. After a small problem with installation (same problems with bushing length as listed below), they were perfect. I would give these a try if you like to have a bit of in between braking before lock up. The only problem is with ceramic rims, the soft kool stop pads squeel like crazy and it's tuff to find ceramic pads that fit the brakes. Still, they are great stoppers and I would recommend them to any body who wants a trouble free, light and cheap brake.

[May 14, 1998]
DUKE JJ
cross-country rider

A kick ass brake !!!! Ligh as hell, titanium bolts and aluminum arms that have NO FLEX what so ever! Simplicity is the key feature of these brakes, titanium spring-cable hanger that eliminates springs on the posts has a great mud clearence and easiest to maintain. They also have a machinery kinda look with milky polished aluminum - looks awesome. As powerful as most V-brakes these canties work sweet in mud, snow, dust ,rain, never squeak and very easy to clean! 5 chilies to ControlTech for the best C brake out there!

[Jan 25, 1998]
three legged wolf
racer

I am currently using the linear pull control tech brakes. First and foremost these brakes make exceptional cross country racing brakes. They are lighter than most other V brakes and the feel is completely linear, with complete control right up to lock up. Set up is smooth ( except a tolerance issue on the end cap which was off about five thousands of an inch, which was quickly solved with some hand maching with a file. Note: have often have you found parts this tight in this industry?) and simple.
Optimal use, if you want a light, strong, linear feel, simple to maintain brake with normal thick pads to keep from replacing them every other ride in the mud. Or self destructing pivots.
Wrong use. Downhill maniacs and possibly trails riders. The brakes are just not as powerfull as maguras or some of the XTR v brakes. Other disadvantages, quick wheel removal. Otherwise the product is perfoming well in our winter rain (snow) soaked months.

[Jun 05, 1997]
Lisa
cross-country rider

These are the best brakes I have ever tried (Magura, XTR v, Shimano cantis). They lock up incredibly well, and are lighter than the other brakesets mentioned above. I run them front and rear, and nearly threw myself over the first time I grabbed on the front. Initial set up was kind of intimidating, becasue they were like no other brakes I was used to. But this is a good thing, since I was terrible at setting up conventional cantis and these are a snap.I have, however, had a few problems with the small allen key and allen bolts stripping, but I have a stock of these, and it isn't too bad. I have busted three return springs on conventional canti brakes, and find the straddle spring a welcome design. Here in the Pacific Northwest, rain and mud are always a problem, but the brakes perform flawlessly. Good mud clearance. Also, if I ever flatte din a race, it would be really bad, becasue with the Girvin, the brakes cannot release far back enough to pull out the front wheel. But this is more the Girvin's fault than the brakes. Overall, these are a great design. I recently went on a group ride and met the man who designed the brakes. He works at Boeing. He spent a couple of years designing these brakes, and I'd say he did a really great job.

[Mar 10, 1997]
T.Lebeuf

I bought a Control Tech brake w/the straddle cable spring because they seemed like such a simple,elegant and very lightweight design.Unfortunately the spring would not clear the brake cable hanger boss on my Cannodale Headshok fork.So I put the brake on my son's 24 in. Gary Fisher and the performance is great but probably overkill on my 11 yr. old's bike. Well,he hasn't gone over the bars yet anyway.The spring action is wonderful, they are easy to set up and maintain and are well made.They look cool too.If you have wide rims they may not work too well.

[Feb 03, 1997]
Tom Myers
cross-country rider

The Control Tech brakes are the simplest brakes known to man, and they are LIGHT! The straddle cable *is* the spring, so there are no springs in the posts - just massive bearings that are super-easy to clean. When you disconnect the 'straddle spring', both brakes flop out, making it super easy to clean or dress your pads. Also, since the spring is now disconnected, you can wiggle the brake back and forth (springless) to see if the posts need cleaning. And the left/right bias is adjusted with setscrews on the straddle spring. Very straightforward.